Larynx or vocal cords must be closed to lift heavy objects,
defecate, or give birth.
Diver's First Movement
Raising the big toe is the first movement of a diver.
The vessels of the supraspinatus
and long head of the
biceps are filled when the shoulder is abducted..
The vascular system to these tendons is compromised.when the
arm is adducted
and at the side or adducted and flexed.
This phenomenon is referred to as a wringing out.
Tovin BJ (2006). Prevention and Treatment of Swimmer's
Shoulder. North American Journal of Sports Physical Therapy,
On certain weight training exercises, we can see examples
of the body automatically attempting to overcome active
insufficiency, particularly during near maximal efforts.
On other exercises we can see examples of the body automatically
attempting to compensate for passive
insufficiency, more likely during near maximal efforts.
- Near the top, or beginning of exercise
- Posterior tilt of pelvis
- Compensates for Hamstrings
being stretched across knee and hip simultaneously
- Ankle moving away from complete dorsal flexion
- Compensates for Gastrocnemius
being stretched across both knee and ankle
- Also see Knee Flexion
Force Vector Diagram
- Near bottom of exercise
- Shoulder may slightly drift away from complete flexion /
- Elbows drift slightly outward and forward
- Spine may hyperextend to further remove shoulder from complete
shoulder complete flexion
- Compensates for long
head of triceps being stretched across both shoulder and