- Position feet under bar with very wide stance. Squat down
with hips low and chest forward. With arms extended downward
between legs, grasp bar with narrow overhand grip.
- Lift and accelerate initial pull of bar by extending hips
and knees. As bar passes knees, continue pulling bar by raising
arms and shoulders upward with elbows flexing out to sides. Continue
pulling until body is upright and back and bar is raised to chin.
- Allow bar to fall downward. As bar falls past waist, squat
down by flexing hips and knees. Arms extend straight as bar falls
past knees. Return weight momentarily to floor so body is in
original starting position. Immediately repeat movement.
- Narrow grip width can be checked after grasping bar by pointing
both thumbs toward each other and adjusting grip width so thumb
tips touch over bar. Regrip bar once narrow width grip is verified.
- Throughout lift, keep hips low, shoulders high, and back
straight. Also keep knees pointed out same direction as feet.
- Barbell Sumo Deadlift High Pull continues to be a controversial
Crossfit movement (see Upright
Row Safety). Related movements include:
- Scapula & Clavicle