ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:24 pm 
former lurker

First post here.

I've looked for an answer to this everywhere, but wasn't able to find. I'm a beginner, and finally got enough discipline to keep doing exercises routinely, after years trying to start. I've been doing it for three months, with good nutrition, and have had good results. I'm quite excited by the results actually. I've always been thin, and for the first time I could see very significant increase in mass. One of the most important factors that made me able to keep my discipline was my decision to do short sessions many times a week. In my previous attempts I worked out many muscles three times a week at the gymn, and I found out that these long sessions (~1 hour) were terribly boring to me. Just the thought of having to go to the gymn that day made me feel lazy, and I ended up skipping a lot. Now, I'm doing less muscle groups per day, in a two day split program, 5-6 times a week, at home. Each session doesn't take more than 30 minutes. I don't know if my strategy is the best, but it's been working for me. So, for now, I will keep it. The results keep me motivated, so I'll think about something better in the future. The point is, I want to add exercises for some other muscle groups, but I really want to avoid increasing my workout time too much. So, I thought about doing exercises for different muscle groups during the rest period. In other words, doing reps between reps. This way I could keep almost the same total workout time, while working more muscles. Is there any problem doing that? I would try to alternate sets of really unrelated muscles, so as not to disturb the recovery of both, but I'm not sure if muscle recovery is the only issue here, or if there is some other thing (hormones, or whatever) that come into play during rest, and could be adversely affected by this.

If someone could shed some light on this issue it would be great. By the way, I'm a biochemist, so if you happen to be able to get down to the scientific details, that would be great. If you give me references to articles in academic journals I will pray for the gods to give you a good harvest.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:13 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

ReptilianNeanderthal wrote:
First post here.

I've looked for an answer to this everywhere, but wasn't able to find. I'm a beginner, and finally got enough discipline to keep doing exercises routinely, after years trying to start. I've been doing it for three months, with good nutrition, and have had good results. I'm quite excited by the results actually. I've always been thin, and for the first time I could see very significant increase in mass. One of the most important factors that made me able to keep my discipline was my decision to do short sessions many times a week. In my previous attempts I worked out many muscles three times a week at the gymn, and I found out that these long sessions (~1 hour) were terribly boring to me. Just the thought of having to go to the gymn that day made me feel lazy, and I ended up skipping a lot. Now, I'm doing less muscle groups per day, in a two day split program, 5-6 times a week, at home. Each session doesn't take more than 30 minutes. I don't know if my strategy is the best, but it's been working for me. So, for now, I will keep it. The results keep me motivated, so I'll think about something better in the future. The point is, I want to add exercises for some other muscle groups, but I really want to avoid increasing my workout time too much. So, I thought about doing exercises for different muscle groups during the rest period. In other words, doing reps between reps. This way I could keep almost the same total workout time, while working more muscles. Is there any problem doing that? I would try to alternate sets of really unrelated muscles, so as not to disturb the recovery of both, but I'm not sure if muscle recovery is the only issue here, or if there is some other thing (hormones, or whatever) that come into play during rest, and could be adversely affected by this.

If someone could shed some light on this issue it would be great. By the way, I'm a biochemist, so if you happen to be able to get down to the scientific details, that would be great. If you give me references to articles in academic journals I will pray for the gods to give you a good harvest.

Whatever Works

As you know the most important aspect of working out is find a program that you like and stick with.

So, you're program will work.

SuperSets

This is an effective method of performing more exercises without increasing your work out time.

It also ensure that you work opposing muscle groups, such as chest and upper back, biceps and triceps, etc.

One exercise immediately follows the other.

Examples

1) Bench Press SuperSetted with Bent Over Rows

2) Triceps Pushdowns SuperSetted with Curls

3) Squat SuperSetted with Deadlift

Kenny Croxdale