ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:43 pm 
n00b
n00b

I started lifting about four weeks ago. I've been making pretty good progress, but recently I've had some pain in my front shoulders when doing exercises like DB front lateral raises and tricep kickbacks. I don't experience any pain when doing other shoulder exercises, like dips or the overhead press. After workouts my shoulders don't hurt whatsoever, it only hurts during these exercises. My training partner thought that it might be because we've done a lot of benching recently and my shoulders aren't up to it. I know diagnosing something like this over the net is difficult, but any suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:56 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

"Front lateral raise" doesn't make any sense because front obviously means front, and lateral means sideways. If you are raising your arms in front, it is simply DB front raise. I think that is probably what you mean.

Other posters here know way more about kinesiology and physiology than I do, so I think you'll get the best information from them, but it is true that improper form on the bench can give you shoulder issues. You want to pinch your shoulder blades together and have your arms more tucked in as opposed to flared out to the side (they should form an angle closer to 45 degrees than 90 degrees with your body). You also don't want an extremely wide grip.

That being said, there's no way for me to tell if the bench press, or any other exercise, is causing your shoulder pain. I used to have some pain in my right shoulder whenever I did bent over DB rows. I don't have that pain anymore simply because I stopped doing DB rows. If it hurts to do front raises, you could try shoulder press instead, since they both work the same muscle group and you mentioned they don't bother you when you do them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:36 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

pr0phect wrote:
I started lifting about four weeks ago. I've been making pretty good progress, but recently I've had some pain in my front shoulders when doing exercises like DB front lateral raises and tricep kickbacks. I don't experience any pain when doing other shoulder exercises, like dips or the overhead press. After workouts my shoulders don't hurt whatsoever, it only hurts during these exercises. My training partner thought that it might be because we've done a lot of benching recently and my shoulders aren't up to it. I know diagnosing something like this over the net is difficult, but any suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Whats your training program like? You want to make sure your program is reasonably balanced. You should hit your upper back / shoulder blades at least, if not more than your chest and delts.

But first thing is to drop front raises and kick backs - a simple rule is - If it causes pain, stop doing it.

Instead of exercises that make it sore / worse, you could swap in exercises that will strengthen your shoulder blade muscles. Strengthening the shoulder blade muscles will protect your shoulder joint.

In the article below you will see 'face pulls'. It may give you relief straight away, but its a step towards good stability in the shoulder blades which can only help you down the line.

You also see 'Face Pulls w/ external rotation', which is just doing the exercise with a neutral (or Hammer) grip.

Don't overlook push ups for the same reason, too.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1426252

Feel free to post your program and i'll comment. Otherwise, make sure your doing lots of rows. One arm DB rows are a great exercise.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:45 am 

TheHeb wrote:
improper form on the bench can give you shoulder issues. You want to pinch your shoulder blades together and have your arms more tucked in as opposed to flared out to the side (they should form an angle closer to 45 degrees than 90 degrees with your body). You also don't want an extremely wide grip.

This is good info that you should deffinitly put into practice.

In the article below there is 2 clips, bodybuilder V powerlifter benching, and the reasoning behind it, have a look.

There's no benefit in benching 'body builder style' in comparison to power lifter style. People say body uilder style (arms flared, wider grip) will 'hit the chest more'. Whether this is true or not, it's not a benefit you would notice until you had already gained a lot of mass.

Even then, the benefit of this is at the expense of the shoulders. On top of that, powerlifter style undeniably allows you to use more weight (when done correctly) - more weight = more size? So there is benfit in powerlifter style, too, in terms of bodybuilding goals. not to mention your not beating up the shoulder half as much.

The point in my pros and cons wasn't really to start a debate, but to demonstrate that the difference in benefits is negligible (and arguable) in terms of size. One hits the chest more, one lets you use more weight. What one amounts to more size?

answer = who cares. Look after your shoulders, you only get 2 :-)

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:34 am 

The article would help...

Shoulder savers I
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1053531

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:58 am 
n00b
n00b

TheHeb: The exercise I was referring to is:http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Supraspinatus/DBFrontLateralRaise.html, which I tried because I thought my supraspinatus was weak. Either way, I first experienced the shoulder pain doing tricep kickbacks, which I have since stopped doing. It seems like they're not the best exercise for your triceps anyway. Thanks for your comments though, I think my bench press form may have been a tad off and it's something I'm working on.

Kpj: Wow! Thanks for all the info, I'm reading through the articles now. As far as my program is concerned, it was pretty un-organized, mainly just going to the gym with my friend and deciding what muscle group to work that day. I spent the weekend reading through this website and I came up with a program that I'm going to follow for the next 8 weeks. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. The post is http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4571. Thanks again.

Max