ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:46 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

What's a good bodyweight/no equipment exercise that will work the hamstrings?

I'm looking for something I can stick into my metcons when I do them in the park on days I can't go to the gym and have no equipment, no place to secure my feet. So no glute-ham raises or hamstring raises.

All I've got so far are:

Good Mornings (unweighted)
Mountain Climbers

and I'm not sure about the second one, I just know my hamstrings feel pretty sore after I do them...that may just be from the stretch they get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:56 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Try some burpees. The portion where you kick your legs up and under you, then stand/jump up pretty well mimics the swing as far as the posterior chain goes. Lots of hip flexion, which hams control to a large degree.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:01 am 

Burpees - So now I've got three excercises!

I tend to think of burpees as a squat plus a pushup plus a jump, so I don't think "hamstrings." Those plus pullups make a great two-exercise park metcon. Last time I did a metcon in the park I did burpees plus jumping pullups, and a bunch of my former elementary school students stood around critiquing my form...

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There is this exercise, I forget the name, but you put your feet on a bench push your self up with your legs. It works hams at the knees and hips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:02 pm 

Ironman wrote:
There is this exercise, I forget the name, but you put your feet on a bench push your self up with your legs. It works hams at the knees and hips.

This site calls them hamstring push-ups. There is a small picture.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7 ... -0,00.html

This site calls them One-Legged Hamstring Bridges:
http://www.approvedarticles.com/Article ... ights/4872

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:45 pm 

Thanks Stuward for findin those links - I couldn't quite picture the exercise Ironman was describing. Never knew about those before. I'll have to figure out how many I need to do in order to get a hard workout, but those are going in my kit. I can put my feet up on the low concrete climbing block thing they have in the park* I use, lay down on the ground, and get going. That'll be useful on the days I do a metcon with my quads still screaming from squats and jumps and so on. Sweet!

Peter

* Have to love parks in Japan, they're like old US parks. Lots of concrete, climbing bars, and unpadded "unsafe" stuff to climb on. All surrounded by hard-packed sandy ground or just concrete. None of those wood chips. Makes for tough kids! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:27 am 

Natural Glute Ham Raises will hammer your hams! :-)

You basically want to stand up on your knees, if that makes sense - go on your knees except have your upper legs pointing vertically. Then, you need either your feet hooked under something such as dumbell racks, certain machines have suitable bars on them - you just need a bar thats a good 6 inches or so off the ground, or a training partner to hold your feet. Keep good posture and lower yourself at steady pace.

This link decribes them...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/renegade10.htm

This site (exrx) only shows how to perform it weighted on a machine built for "GHR's". I think anyway, i've never saw a machine for this in the flesh but they do exist. I do them on the pull down machine, using the pads that normally sit on top of your thighs to support my feet, face the other way and lower my self off the bench/machine. If the gym is really busy and I can't get it, i just find somewhere/anywhere to hook my feet and do them that way. Your sure to find something to hook your feet under in a park.

http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstri ... Raise.html

KPj

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:24 am 
n00b
n00b

hi!

have you looked into doing plyometric lunges or walking lunges? these really get your hamstrings sorted and it's using body weight only. watch out for your kness and keep your front angle at 90 degrees on the lower part of the exercise making sure your knee does not go over your toe. keep a nice wide stance to keep you stable and make sure all your weight is on the FRONT leg whilst pushing to stand back up.

also I used to to a lot of cross country running includind lots of hills wich REALLY workes your gastrocnemeus soleus and hamstring muscles as well as providing a cv workout.

apparantly ive got "legs like tree trunks in a good way" now!! i wasn't quite sure how to take that compliment considering it was from a guy, never mind!!
they are not as muscley as the guy in the picture on the link below, he is using weights but bodyweight lunges are also effective, go to "lunge exercise":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunge_(exercise)

good luck!! let me know how it goes!

nicole :0)

pdellorto wrote:
What's a good bodyweight/no equipment exercise that will work the hamstrings?

I'm looking for something I can stick into my metcons when I do them in the park on days I can't go to the gym and have no equipment, no place to secure my feet. So no glute-ham raises or hamstring raises.

All I've got so far are:

Good Mornings (unweighted)
Mountain Climbers

and I'm not sure about the second one, I just know my hamstrings feel pretty sore after I do them...that may just be from the stretch they get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:52 pm 

Burpees is a great exercise. It starts as a push up if you want to do push ups, 2 legged mountain climber, jump squat, and back into a push up again.

GHR - I heard it's not a safe exercise from some website.

Hand Walks are good hamstring exercises. It work the hamstrings and core as well. Single leg RDL's are good too (you can also use a light dumbbell if you want) and it also works balance. leg Kicks also works the hamstrings. Those 3 are all dynamic flexibility exercises

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:15 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I once did an exercise similar to what KPj described with the Glute Ham Raises except I think this was a little better for some explosiveness.

I was exactly how he described it with someone holding my feet down, but my upper body was already flat on the floor. I pushed myself off the ground like a push up and then caught my self with my hamstrings and then pulled myself all the way up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:40 am 

Quote:
GHR - I heard it's not a safe exercise from some website.

I don't believe this is true. I think it's more than likely the other way around in that GHR's would probably help prevent injury more than cause it.

Most of the sites normally referenced on this forum speak positively of GHR's but I guess there might be some negative feedback out there somewhere.

:-)

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:07 am 

I could only find 1 site that spoke against the GHR: http://www.gambetta.com/resources/Hamst ... 8bcbf2999f

The only criticism was that it was a single joint exercise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:46 pm 

I don't think GHR is a single joint exercise. It works both the Hamstrings and the Glutes. I can't do this exercise anyway unless I have something I can put my feet under to do them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:29 pm 

I agree, that's just what the artcle said.

I've done these in hotel rooms when traveling. I just hook my feet under the bed. If its too hard, just put your arms in push up position and use them to assist. They're harder at the bottom than the top.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:01 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

caangelxox wrote:
I don't think GHR is a single joint exercise. It works both the Hamstrings and the Glutes .

The GHR is listed as having isolated rather than compound mechanics, which suggests that only one joint (the knee) is involved.

This is strange - the glutes are listed as a synergist to the hamstrings for the GHR, yet the GHR isn't listed as an exercise for theglutes. Perhaps the glutes are exercised isometrically in the exercise.