ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:03 pm 
n00b
n00b

Has anyone tried this method of training ? if so any ideas on form for the dumbell - high pull snatch and dumbell bent over row.

thank you

http://www.istvanjavorek.com/page2.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:23 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

I use a lot of his programs and complexes almost all the time. . From Page 2 (he link you sent) go to his home page, and check out the exerpts from his new book. He has pictures of all the exercises done with DB complex I. The DB row is simply bend over, let the DB's hang, and row them up. Great pictures here on this site in the Exercise and muscle directory. The high pull snatch, bend down into a semi stiff leg deadlift position, come up with an upright row, and at the height of the pull, whip the elbows up wand fix the weight above your head.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:24 pm 
n00b
n00b

thanks . I was doing more of a squat touch the dumbells to the ground then press. he also says to do it slowly, so for the oly section , its just the movemnt theres no actual jump , right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:52 am 

Nope. Not in his recommendations, no jump invoved at all. It's mkind of one continuous motion.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:08 am 
n00b
n00b

thanks i didnt realize there was so much stuff on his site

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:45 am 

Yep, he is a wealth of information. I have several of his general fitness programs, and the weightlifting program. He is amazing how he mixes stuff up. In his general fitness II course, which I did, it's 12 weeks, 3X wk, and the same workout is never duplicated. He does periodize with heavy and moderate weights, lower and higher reps, and it's fantastic. One day you might do straight sets of all exercises, the next it's a complex mixed up with a couple of exercises, and the next it's circuits and complexes. Here is an example
http://staff.jccc.net/ijavorek/mf.htm
Keep in mind this is onl an example of how he might mix it up. This is an elite level program and would blow most people into the water with the high volume. He Even says to possibly cut each workout into 2 workouts and extend the ength to 24 wks. Scroll down to the bottom for wk1 days 1, 2 and 3 examples.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:16 pm 

Tim,

I've seen you mention the Javorek stuff several times and always meant to check it out. I finally did and WOW - this guy's got a lot of cool stuff on his site.

I'm into this type of stuff alot. I think i'll break from my usual routines and try his stuff out for awhile.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:19 am 
n00b
n00b

hi, Tim D

when you do any of the complex's do you touch the ground on the high pull press? or do you do them like in the video? How heavy do you go on the excercises?

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:47 am 

Fredson,

Go as deep as you can comfortably. If you read Javoreks instructions, he suggests full range of movement and perfect execution of technique, which leads into your next question, weight. Use a weight that allows you to accomplish the range of motion & proper execution for the suggested number of reps. This may take a few sessions to figure out by trial and error.

Good luck,
Hoister

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:23 am 

Hi Fredson, Hoister. Well, it depends. Sometines I do as is suggested in the video, a semi rounded back, curling it up. Other times I use the typical Oly apprach, that being an arch in the lower back, back flat and stiffened. It really just depends on how I feel when going into it. As to weight used, LOL, not a great deal of it. I have been e-mailing Gary Valentine and Dan John, both Master throwers and weight lifters, and they both told me that if you get over 100 lbs on the complex I, consider yourself a stud. I have never , personally, gone over the complex 1 with over 45 lb DB's. What Javorek says, is to base it on your weakest lift, probably the upright row, and go from there.
Hope this answers your questions.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:09 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hi Tim D and Hoister, Have either of you got any routines where you integate any of the complex's? if so do you mind posting some of them just to give me a few ideas.
Ive been doing 5 sets of complex 1 at 28kg , after each set ill have a 30 sec break followed by 6 chinups , 9 dips , 12 push ups , 30 sec break then back to the complex.
is a supinated curl , like a reverse curl with the palms faceing down?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:11 am 

Hi. Well, I would be out here typing all day, not to mention copyright infringment issues, but I can and will tell you thisIn his 12 week programs, you nevery duplicate the same workout. What you are doing is good. Another was is to do 2-3 progressivly heavier complexes, than say squat and some other movments. Basically, what I've been doing regularly is almost identical to what you do.I'll do 4-5 rounds, modified (upright row, highpull snatch or power clean, depending on how i feel,thruster or cheerleader, and GM. Then I'll catch my breath and do some dips, chins, and overhead squats. That's just one way of doing. The imagination is the only limiting factor.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:04 am 

Hi again Fredson. I was overlooking the obvious this morning. I sent a link earlier in the thread to Javorek's Tremendous Pleasure program. Lots of ideas there, just tone down the volume.
Also, go into the journal's section, and look at what Hoister and I do. Lots of different compexes in there, amongst some strength work. I haven't kept mine up to date, but you will get some ideas there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:15 pm 

Fredson, Tim,

Tim is right - your imagination is your only limiting factor. I've used complexes as warm ups to strength programs, as strength programs, as metcon stuff, you name it.

Like TimD says, check our our logs, we use this stuff quite frequently if not exclusively! What's that about great minds.... ;)

My log entries represent metcon/conditioning/fun stuff that i LIKE doing in addition to my daily abbreviated strength programs (heavy weight, low rep stuff). What i am toying with now is replacing those random routines and laying out all of Javorek's complexes in sequence and working through a different one each session.

Example:
- session 1, do complex 1 in 4 progressively heavier sets.
- Session 2, do complex 2 in 4 progressively heavier sets.
- etc

I plan on using the same weight for each, work through all, when i come back to #1 again, bump the weight up 5-10lbs. This will serve as my new metcon/conditioning/fun stuff!

Just keep in mind that complexes can be very taxing. Keep an eye on the weight and listen to your body. Very light weight used with a complex can be great warm up to any strength routine you follow, maybe start there.

Another thing i do is also keep a barbell set up at 70lbs. Each time i pass it (throughout the day), i do one set of 6 reps in the complexes of:

clean + press + front squat + sldl + bent over row
OR
clean and press + front squat.

Like Tim said, i could type and type and type all day on this, so these are just one or two ideas out of millions,
Hoister

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:26 am 
n00b
n00b

Hi, thanks for the feed back. I ll definetly have a look at the journals.