Preparation and Execution
There are number of ways to enter into this stretch:
- From kneeling position on all fours, raise knees off floor and place feet flat on floor with knees straight.
- From standing position, step forward with one front forward. Bend over and place hands on floor well in front of forward foot. Position forward leg back next to rear leg with both legs straight.
- From standing position, bend over and walk forward on hands with knees straight.
- From standing position, bend over and walk forward on hands with bent knees. Straighten knees until feet are flat on floor.
Although angle of ankles increase as hands travel closer to feet (requiring less ankle/Gastrocnemius flexibility), angle of hips decreases (requiring more hip/Hamstrings flexibility). As hamstrings are stretched through hip, they pull on gastrocnemius due to intertwining contact hamstrings have on gastrocnemius behind knee.
If ankle or hip flexibility is not sufficient to place foot flat on floor, keep knees straight and bring heals as close as possible to floor while feeling mild stretch in calf.
- Gastrocnemius (hands further away from feet)
- Hamstrings (hands closer to feet)