Protein shakes

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

Jungledoc

Protein shakes

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:18 am

Two questions:

1. Where have y'all found the best prices on whey powder? I will be in the US for a few weeks, and I'd like to stock up without going bankrupt. WalMart? GNC? Neighborhood grocery store?

2. Do you have any suggested alternative recipes for protein shakes? I will buy some whey while I'm in the US, but baggage weight limits being what they are, I can't really bring back a year's supply of whey powder, and it's not available here in PNG (as far as I know). There was discussion of chocolate milk a few weeks back, and there is some available here which I will check on (it's probably made in Australia and probably has accurate nutritional labeling). But do you have any other suggestions?

wilburburns

Re: Protein shakes

Post by wilburburns » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:42 am

Jungledoc wrote:Two questions:

1. Where have y'all found the best prices on whey powder? I will be in the US for a few weeks, and I'd like to stock up without going bankrupt. WalMart? GNC? Neighborhood grocery store?

2. Do you have any suggested alternative recipes for protein shakes? I will buy some whey while I'm in the US, but baggage weight limits being what they are, I can't really bring back a year's supply of whey powder, and it's not available here in PNG (as far as I know). There was discussion of chocolate milk a few weeks back, and there is some available here which I will check on (it's probably made in Australia and probably has accurate nutritional labeling). But do you have any other suggestions?
I asked a similar question over on freetrainers.com a few weeks ago and received this for an answer...

Body Fortress Whey Protein is good and fairly cheap at Walmart and Many other Local US Grocery Stores. Cost $13 for 2# (30servings of 26g Protein) at Walmart.

The Bad thing is the Large Container which is only half full after the Powder Settles. :( This would likely make it quite difficult to ship back in your luggage..

Good Luck,
Cliff

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:26 am

Hi Doc,
just going to address the alternative shakes here. I seldom buy the powder anymore and the others can give better info on that.

I'm just going to list what we did in the past prior to all the now available powers, etc. This is assuming you have access to some type of milk. Shouldn't really matter if it's goat's, cow's, etc. Any milk will work. Use either milk or chocolate milk (best=but don't know if it's avail to you), throw in some knox gelatine, crack a couple of eggs into it, and thats your base. From this point, add whatever you want into the thing. If you're into fruit, toss it in. If you're into a weight gainer, toss in some peanut butter and/or maybe some type of local icecream/gellato or whatever the locals have. Just eperiment with the flavorings. Dr Ken Leistner often joked about the Tuna and raw meat shakes, but trust me, that type of stuff was done back in the day.
Tim

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:54 am

Check out 1fast400.com their prices are good and I believe they ship internationally.

lightningsix
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by lightningsix » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:37 pm

Muscle Milk has been my favorite for quite some time now.
Farely cheap and the best part.... it tastes AMAZING!!!

I've had all the flavors and I love them all.
2scoops:
300cal
16 fat
13 carb
32 prot
1 fiber

that's before milk is added to the shake.

3+lb tubs go from about $27-32

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:10 pm

www.slickdeals.com -- you can get protein of all kinds on there for cheap. what you do is go to the site, and search protein. that website basically posts all internet deals going on for the day, and protein is one of these items they generally post. last time I used that site, I purchased a 10lb cytosport whey for 60$ including shipping, and am about to purchase 5lbs of muscle milk for 35$ "i like that stuff because its like a desert to me, and i have a huge sweet tooth".

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:32 pm

vitamin shoppe isn't bad price wise.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:39 pm

vitamin shoppe isn't bad price wise.
Better than GNC, by far in customer service and prices.