Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Coca-Cola Preferred by Top Endurance Cyclists

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:30 am

I found this article intersting. http://www.sportsci.org/2002/index.html

I worked with a distance runner about 6-7 years ago. He told me quite a few of the distance runners use coke as a sports drink. However, he said they drank it flat...they allowed the carbonation do dissipate.

Another intersting fact that I obtained from reading in reading a book on glycemic index food by Jennie Brand Miller, Ph.D. Miller is professor of nutrition and biochemistry, University of Sydney, Australia

Miller noted that canned coke (soft drink beverages) basically ferment sugar into glucose. Glucose being very quickly absorbed into your system.

I often find science works backwards. We see what is working in the real world (empircal data) and then work backwards to find out why. So, they cyclist and distance runners may be on to something.

Kenny Croxdale

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:40 am

You're right Kenny. I can remember when we were discussing a weight gain diet back on another forum, and the PIP diest was brought up. Pizza, Icecream , and Pepsi, and it works.
Tim

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:49 pm

now that sounds like my kind of diet! Throw some chocolate milk and a curry in there and that's basically my perfect day's eating

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:32 am

I don't know if that would still ferment to glucose though. It is made with HFC now, which has a little more fructose than glucose compared with sucrose. It's close though so it might still give them energy anyway.

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Fri May 01, 2009 9:46 pm

couldn't you just take dextrose?