Reverse grip bench press

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Reverse grip bench press

Post by hoosegow » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:21 pm

I thought I asked this question, but I don't know where I put it. Sorry if I am redundant. What is the difference using a reverse grip for the bench press. Is it only advisable for extreme wide grip to reduce strain on the wrist?

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:59 pm

Reverse grip benches are used to place emphasis on the triceps. Some PL types use them as assistance. On PL type, Anthony Clark, actually used them in competition, with a wide grip, however, most people use them with a grip just slightly wider than shoulder width, to place emphasis on the triceps plus to take strain off the wrists. Here is how I do them. I slide my bench through the racks, so that I don't have to move the bar over my face when unracking.With a grip slightly wider than shoulder width, and a reverse grip, my elbows aare pretty close to being in line with my body. I l;ower the bar in a natural arc, and the bar touches me right around the sternum, then push up in the same arc. The bottom position might vary, due to bone length, etc, but this is what works for me and others, and keeps strain off the wrists.
Tim

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:19 am

Thanks Tim

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:21 am

Thanks Tim. (I was the guest above) I don't know what is up with the board.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:05 am

Are you referring to close grip benches with the grip reversed? If so, I was curious about this exercise also.

I can see how it would work and also how it would be benificial due to the change but I would like to know how members here rate the reverse close grip bench press in comparison to the over hand grip?

Thanks

KP

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:28 am

Tim is definitely the one who would know. I have only seen people use it twice and both times it was with a wide grip. A training buddy of mine and I were talking about it. From what Tim says, it sounds like he and others use it to mimic the close grip bench. For example, watching in the mirror, place your hands in the close grip position. Then turn your hands to the reverse grip. My hands are now slightly shoulder width apart yet the arm movement and elbow placement is the same.

TimD

Post by TimD » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:36 am

Hi guys. I was referring to an undergrip shoulder width BP, similar to a close grip BP, just a different grip. Just feels more natural on the wrists, and it's a good way to target triceps without sacrificing weight and getting to isolationist. I've seen a lot of PL types use it for this reason, and have seen some use it with a wider (competition) grip, but to me, anyway, it just puts too much pressure on the wrists (going wide with a reverse grip).
Tim