Home gym equipment

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

chissel
n00b
n00b

Home gym equipment

Post by chissel » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:30 pm

Hi, all. I posted a week or two ago about trying to lose fat and gain muscle (http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3811), and was pointed in the direction of the compound movements of Rippetoe's Starting Strength programme, via this writeup: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224. So the workout I'm doing is roughly:

Workout A:

3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench press
1x5 Deadlift
2x8 Dips

3x15 Abs

Workout B:

3x5 Squat
3x5 Standing military press
3x5 Pendlay rows
2x8 Pullups

3x15 Abs

and I workout three times a week (Mon, Weds, Fri), such that a 2-week period looks like A X B X A X X. B X A X B X X.

I'm a member of a gym, but they have really crap free-weight facilities. They have a Smith machine but the Rippetoe writeup seems to suggest not bothering if you're going to use a Smith machine. The barbells they have are fixed weight, so you can't add/remove weights to/from a bar, and they only go up to 45 kg (99 lbs) which isn't enough for deadlifts or squats. And even if their barbels did have enough weight they don't have any equipment to help get the bar onto your shoulders to do squats (think it's called a squat rack). So all in all, I think I'm going to quit and buy some equipment for my home.

1. Obviously I'll need a barbell with collars and weight plates. What's the difference between Olympic and normal weight sets -- 2" bar diameters vs. 1" bar diameter and using collars rather than spinlocks? And does it matter whether I get a 6' or 7' wide barbell?

2. For deadlifts, standing military presses and pendlay rows I don't think I need any equipment other than the barbell. Right?

3. But for squats and bench pressing I need some equipment. I'm not very knowledge about this, but I think I need squat rack/stand and a bench. I was just wondering if there's equipment anybody can recommend, as the majority of stuff I've seen seems to be feature superfluous -- extra equipment all over the benches, etc. I don't want to have to pay for this extra equipment, I just want some equipment for bench pressing and squatting. My main criteria is CHEAP and COMPACT.

4. As for dips and pullups, I don't know if there is any cheap equipment you can get for these. And as for ab work, I wanted to do decline situps and hanging leg raises, but I suppose I could just do normal situp/ab work lying flat on the ground unless people know of any cheap equipment.

This is what I've found:

1. Barbell:
- Gold's Gym 100kg Olympic Weight Set 6' bar [1 million dollars].00 ($199)
or
- Powerhouse 100kg Olympic Barbell Kit 7' bar [1 million dollars].00 ($240)

3. Bench and squat:
- York B501 Bench ([1 million dollars]/$80) and Bodymax Heavy Duty Squat Stands ([1 million dollars]/$141) which total [1 million dollars] / $222

or
- Pro-Form G680 Olympic Weight Bench (& squat rack) [1 million dollars] / $381
or
- Powertec - 3-in1 Workbench / Rack System [1 million dollars] / $502

Having the bench and squat stands separate works out cheapest ([1 million dollars]/$222), but the Pro-Form Olympic Weight Bench and squat rack ([1 million dollars]/$381) is more compact and looks better quality. But are the squat racks that are with the benches, like in the Pro-Form, actually good or a sort of gimmick? I included the Powertec one because it seems to be roughly the same as the Pro-Form, I just wondered if the difference in price represents a real quality difference. Basically I guess my question is, is it better to get 'separates' or bench/squat equipment together?

Anyway, I also found this:

Pro-Form Olympic Bench & 100kg Weights Package [1 million dollars] / $522

which is the Pro-Form bench/squat and the Gold's Gym 100kg Olympic weight set with 6' bar.

Would this last one actually be all I needed? I'm rather leaning towards it at the moment.

Any of your own recommendations?

Thanks in advance, and sorry about another rambling post. >_<

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:46 pm

You should check out the used market. A llot of people buy this kind of stuff and loose interest. You can usually get good stuff for about half of new equipment.

An example; here's one I near where I live that I was dreaming about, just reduced from $450 Cdn.
http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell ... dZ16394815
I can't justify it as I have free access to some very well equipped gyms.

You might consider the 7' bar as it allows room for more plates on the bar.

The squat rack help with the military press as you can rest it in the shoulder position without having to clean the bar each set. You can get by without it though.

If you buy a bench, look for one with built in spotters. The Pro Form and Powertec have them.

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:22 pm

stuward wrote:You should check out the used market. A llot of people buy this kind of stuff and loose interest. You can usually get good stuff for about half of new equipment.

An example; here's one I near where I live that I was dreaming about, just reduced from $450 Cdn.
http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell ... dZ16394815
I can't justify it as I have free access to some very well equipped gyms.

You might consider the 7' bar as it allows room for more plates on the bar.

The squat rack help with the military press as you can rest it in the shoulder position without having to clean the bar each set. You can get by without it though.

If you buy a bench, look for one with built in spotters. The Pro Form and Powertec have them.
For Dips/ Pullups you need a dip/pullup station like this: http://www.shapeupshop.com/strength/pl- ... se-dip.htm

I know you can get them cheaper. This is just an example. I'm sure you can get dip bars and pullup bars that attach to doorways that cost less.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:56 pm

I would definately advise the squat stands, as they have a spotter bar on them and can be used for both Squat and BP, (most are height adjustable), leaving you with only buying a standard flat bench, no frills. Also, have you ever toyed with the idea of making your own? You can get with a welder and probably get one much cheaper than buying them . I made my own dip chin station out of 2x4's, 4x4's and 1 inch pipe (for the bar and handles).
As to olympic sets, well, they are nice, but if you are money conscious, I'd recommend either a 6 or 7 ft standard bar and plates. . Probably much cheaper, and eight is weight. The O bars have ball bearings, and in a good set, the plates revolve so as to not interfer with the wrist gripping movement thing, but for most trainers, I really don't think it matters much
Tim

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:06 pm

The gym sounds really awful. Quitting is the best thing you can do with a gym like that. Fixed weight 45kg barbells? Madness.

The difference between standard and Olympic bars is that the Olympic bars have rotating sleeves for the weight. This means when momentum turns the bar, it's not rotating the weights and vice-versa. This is especially important in Olympic lifting, when you rapidly move the bar through motions like the clean - if the weight rotated the bar, the bar could be torn out of your hands...very dangerous.

Whichever bar you choose, make sure to weigh it so you know the total of your exercises - a true Olympic bar is 7' and 20kg (way to mix systems Peter), which is 44# but called 45#. A standard bar is usuall 10kg. A 6' bar is going to weigh less. Different collars or clips will make a difference too. A cheap bar is sufficient to start - you don't need to worry about bending if you're not ditching the bar, or loading it up with very heavy weights. I coasted on a store-bought Olympic Bar for a long time; I always figured if I got to really heavy weights I could justify an Ivanko or Eleiko bar. Haven't needed to yet. But as they say, weight is weight - if you don't need the rotating bar, just get a standard set. They are usually cheaper.
More than you ever needed to know about Olympic Bars:
http://www.ivanko.com/cgi-bin/products.pl?cat=tech

Yes, you need a bench. I bought the one I used in the states from a garage sale. All you really need is a place to rack the weight and the bench itself...you might look at a pair of free-standing racks and a plain bench. A good pair of free-standing squat racks would be helpful for squatting, since a power rack is probably out of the question - they aren't cheap, even used, and you don't want a cheapo brand one you can't rely on for saving your body from injury from a missed squat.
With these...

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/sto ... t%5FStands

...and a plain vanilla bench that looks like this...

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmi ... umber=1228

...you'd be all set for benching and squatting. Okay, that's not a plain vanilla bench - it's a high-quality bench from a top-notch company. But it's the kind of bench I mean. Just a freestanding sturdy and stable bench. You can also try to find one that inclines and declines, although I've found I don't really need one and your initial strength program doesn't call for incline work anyway.

Now that I think about it, Ironmind also carries some really expensive squat racks that come with a dipping attachment. You may want to see if there are cheaper ones. Or just stick to chair dips for now!

For pullups, I've been recommended this:
http://www.doorgym.net/
...but I've honestly never tried it. It does have an attachment so you can do hanging leg raises.

I hope that helps. You did a lot of research before posting, too, which helped show what you're looking at getting. That helped me help you. :)

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:32 am

If you go with freestanding squat racks, you should get a bench that can incline/decline. You don't need it right now but there will come a time when you want the capability.
http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/uti ... 087_p.html