Abs - Question about definition, and my abs specifically

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:13 pm

You hate them because they're hard. That's why they work.

Start with adding the squat before you do leg press. Start light (empty bar) and work on technique. Gradually add weight, say by 5# per workout. Do 3 sets of 5.

Dissident
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dissident » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:17 pm

It has less to do with how hard they are and more to do with my lack of flexibility (I love the upright rows - and those usually exhaust me). I'm starting to get more flexible because I stretch a lot so i don't know if i'll hate them as much as I used to.

ALSO: Should I throw in hip abductions and leg curls and if I do should I keep them on the same day with other leg stuff or a different one?

Thanks for the help man, i'm on my 3rd day tonight so i'll get on that ASAP.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: ...

Post by Stephen Johnson » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:37 pm

Dissident wrote:I don't go 3 days a week i go pretty much 6 days a week. (Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Break, repeat)
If you're working out with weights six days straight, odds are that your workout intensity is low.

There are worse ways to waste time than grinding out endless low intensity sets in the gym - but you'll still be skinny when all is said and done.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:44 pm

ROFLMFAO!! Stuward, you found the next exercise craze for personal trainers!

I wonder maybe if it isn't flexibility so much as muscle weakness that is your problem with squats and deadlifts, Dissident.

Maybe you should just do leg press and leg curls for now. While you work on your lower back, abs and internal hip flexors. Do weighted situps on a decline bench and weighted hyper extensions. Go easy at first, don't hurt yourself. But add weight whenever you are able. Try weighted pushups, and pushups with elevated feet instead of bench. Do plenty of rowing to build up back stabilizers. Do chins for lats.

Dissident
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dissident » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:51 pm

Ironman wrote:ROFLMFAO!! Stuward, you found the next exercise craze for personal trainers!

I wonder maybe if it isn't flexibility so much as muscle weakness that is your problem with squats and deadlifts, Dissident.

Maybe you should just do leg press and leg curls for now. While you work on your lower back, abs and internal hip flexors. Do weighted situps on a decline bench and weighted hyper extensions. Go easy at first, don't hurt yourself. But add weight whenever you are able. Try weighted pushups, and pushups with elevated feet instead of bench. Do plenty of rowing to build up back stabilizers. Do chins for lats.
thanks

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:23 am

Matt,

A guy over on the crossfit boards made a series of squat videos. They're full of good tips on squatting, stretches to allow deeper squats, accessory exercises, etc.

Here is the first one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq8CWv8UPAI

There are six all told right now.

I recommend these because they're a goldmine for me. Check my "how is my back squat" thread to see how deep I go now...I want to get deeper with good form and those videos have given me lots to try.

Personally I enjoy Deadlifts and I'm learning to love squats. You don't have to do them, but if you learn to do them well you can move lots of weight and gets lots of benefits.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:41 am

Ironman wrote:ROFLMFAO!! Stuward, you found the next exercise craze for personal trainers!
I have to find one of those digeradoos. I had just finished my post and went over to the straight from the bar site and saw that. I had to share it.

Stu

Dissident
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dissident » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:07 pm

pdellorto wrote:Matt,

A guy over on the crossfit boards made a series of squat videos. They're full of good tips on squatting, stretches to allow deeper squats, accessory exercises, etc.

Here is the first one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq8CWv8UPAI

There are six all told right now.

I recommend these because they're a goldmine for me. Check my "how is my back squat" thread to see how deep I go now...I want to get deeper with good form and those videos have given me lots to try.

Personally I enjoy Deadlifts and I'm learning to love squats. You don't have to do them, but if you learn to do them well you can move lots of weight and gets lots of benefits.

Dude thanks, that's pretty much exactly what I needed.

I'm gonna actually work with a trainer here soon to revamp my routine to be more intense. I tried squats yesterday, didn't work too well - but i'm gonna keep workin on them until I get it right.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:48 pm

Glad that helped. The thing about squats and deadlifts is that if you don't do them right, they totally suck...painful, uncomfortable, unproductive, can injure you. Do them right and they're powerful tools for building strength.

I recall reading about Paul Anderson, a former weightlifter and heavy squatter...he said basically that he hated every squat that he did but they were so productive he kept doing them. Wish I could find the quote.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:54 pm

PDell.
Paul Anderson and Doug Hepburn were my heros. I started training in the early 60's, at the height of both of their weightlifting careers. Unfortunately, Paul got termed a "Professional" after his gold medal win, but is still recognized as the probable father of powerlifting, which was in infancy in the early 60's, due to his work with the squat. I can remember reading about his digging a pit on his land , straddling it, and tying mega weights around his waist ,and squatting with the weight diving down into the pit, kind of a forerunner of the belt squat Louis Simmons brought to fame. I think I remember you talking about Paul Kelso. Last I heard, he was in Japan, maybe you have met him?Another leend in the lifting circles.
Tim

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:53 pm

Sadly I didn't get to meet Paul Kelso, even though he was only hours away by train. He left shortly after I arrived. But I did get to talk to him on the phone - I asked on a message board about getting a trap bar in Japan and he responded with his phone number.

Great guy. His "Shrug Book" was one of the couple of training books I packed with me to take to Japan. Too bad I didn't get a chance to go out to where he was; it would have been an honor to train with him if I could have. Wouldn't have hurt my deadlift form either!

Peter

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: ...

Post by Stephen Johnson » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:54 pm

Dissident wrote:like I said I've always been REALLY skinny.
One enduring myth is that a person who is thin has to have low bodyfat. Not true all the time:
"You can be skinny as a rail but your body fat can be high," says Shannon Perrin, personal training director at Bally's Fitness in Scottsdale. "We call them skinny fat people."
More here.

I know that I'm late in bringing this point up - but it's directed to any thin and inactive reader of this thread who thinks that they aren't at risk for certain "fat man's" conditions, not for Dissident, who is sold on the idea of exercise.

Dissident
Rookie
Rookie

Smith Squats

Post by Dissident » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:34 pm

are Smith Squats as effective as Barbell Squats ?

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:46 pm

Not even close.

Every time someone uses a smith machine a personal trainer gets his wings.

Dissident
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dissident » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:24 pm

What about if you're not doing it with you're legs forward? As in you're doing a normal squat but with the smith machine? I did squats again today and used the smith machine and was actually able do them decently well...