Tibia

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

DeadFrog
Novice
Novice

Tibia

Post by DeadFrog » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:59 pm

It just occured to me I used to do an exercise not listed on the map. When I played football it was important to strengthen the tibia so I could backpedal fast. While seated with one leg extended halfway, I lifted a DB on my foot (across top of the toes) using a folded towel for cushioning. The range of motion was great, going from 120 degrees plus at the start of the motion, through full contraction. I found it to give better resistance at the beginning of the motion than the reverse calf press exercises listed here. I got it up to an 80 pound DB. It achieved the same as this:

http://www.jumpusa.com/tibia_dorsi_calf_machine.html

Which, consequently, I had access to (this type of machine) for a while as well. I could backpedal faster than most of the team could run forward and my tibia is huge to this day. Good stuff.

Would this be the official place to submit an exercise not listed?

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: Tibia

Post by Stephen Johnson » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:10 am

DeadFrog wrote:Would this be the official place to submit an exercise not listed?
James T. Griffing is the President of Exrx.net. You could try sending him an e-mail, if TimD and Ironman think that it's OK

Tibia exercises are so rarely done, they make the calves look overtrained by comparison. But when I was into running, it was dorsiflexion exercises that relieved the inevitable shin splints. I've used a similar device in the past as well, but not too many gyms have them. Too bad.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:29 am

You could ask Jeff about it. He handles the customer service here.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:34 am

James is out of contact a lot, I would e-mail both Jeff ([email protected],net) and James. I do know that James does molnitor the forum fairly regularly.
Tim

DeadFrog
Novice
Novice

Post by DeadFrog » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:07 pm

Awesome!

Yeah, shin splints did have something to do with me starting that exercise also. I suffered them running track freshman year and had to wrap them for 4 months+. Damn concrete track! After I graduated, they installed a rubber one.