Dump or Rack?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

When lifting heavy, do you dump the weight or rack it?

Dump it!
No votes
Rack it!
100%

Total votes: 18

Chris_A
Associate Member
Associate Member

Dump or Rack?

Post by Chris_A » Thu May 01, 2008 8:59 pm

A recent thread has made me curious. When you're working with heavy weights, do you always rack it at the end of the set, or do you dump it to the floor?

Examples of dumping the heavy weight:

Front Squat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkK9-mnDAy4

DB Benchpress
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQsmwC4jSFY

Examples of control and rack (set down)

Front Squat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfWYiNnG5sk

DB Benchpress
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fraVIsY4-b0

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Thu May 01, 2008 9:20 pm

In all the years I've been lifting, I've only very rarely had to dump. However, I've also never trained with bumper plates and a platform.

scs217
Novice
Novice

Post by scs217 » Thu May 01, 2008 9:27 pm

I typically rack it. Sometimes with DB incline press I'll drop the last ~12" and with OL cleans or such I will drop the last 6-12". The DB's I have at my workplace gym are rubber so thats not an issue, and i have 1" thick 2'x2' rubber pads to throw the O bar down on (but I don't want to do it from a great height still).

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Thu May 01, 2008 9:35 pm

I only dump it when its neccisary. The only people i could think need to dump is trying to perfect various parts of a O lift or are trying to focus more on the lift than having to worry about putting it down. (clean & jerk, etc).

I have very heavy duty thick rubber mats (1/2" x 4' x 6') at my house, a good buy since it saves the concrete from getting smashed up by deadlifts and allows me to dump when needed.

KPj

Post by KPj » Fri May 02, 2008 4:37 am

I'm the same - Rack it.

Only dump them when i've no choice.

KPj

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri May 02, 2008 5:23 am

Why would you dump it? That should be a very rare thing.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Fri May 02, 2008 7:22 am

The only time I see a lot of dumping, is with O lifters on missed lifts and various pulls. I can understand missing a lift and dumping and getting the heck out of the way of the bar, but I think that lately, they've gotten lazy on the pull and lifts by dumping it. In the "bad old days" coach would NOT let us just plain dump the bar after a lift. Had to put it down under control.
Tim

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Re: Dump or Rack?

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Fri May 02, 2008 8:27 am

Chris_A wrote:A recent thread has made me curious. When you're working with heavy weights, do you always rack it at the end of the set, or do you dump it to the floor?
Dumping it on the floor is more of a macho thing. For the most part it stupid. the only purpuse it serves is for ego.
Examples of dumping the heavy weight:

Front Squat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkK9-mnDAy4
This is an Olympic Lifter. He dumped it because he is through with the front squat and is going to be doing some type of exercise from the floor.

With that said, it would have been much easier to rack the bar and unload it for the exercise he would be doing from the floor.

Unloading the bar sittiing on the floor is a little harder than from a squat rack. So, we are back to the ego thing.
Ronny Coleman throwing the dumbbells. We're back to being stupid.

Why not have some guys spot you, rather than tossing the dumbbells.

No matter how thick the a mat is, tossing dumbbells like that takes it's toll on the dumbbells and that mat.

Kenny Croxdale

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Fri May 02, 2008 8:38 am

TimD wrote:The only time I see a lot of dumping, is with O lifters on missed lifts and various pulls. I can understand missing a lift and dumping and getting the heck out of the way of the bar, but I think that lately, they've gotten lazy on the pull and lifts by dumping it. In the "bad old days" coach would NOT let us just plain dump the bar after a lift. Had to put it down under control.
Tim
Well, the "bad old days" are still in tact with me.

At a Gold's Gym, two guys were dropping the dumbbells after their curls sets. You could see the divits in the mat.

I ask them NOT to do that . They then told me, "It's NOT your guy. So, we don't have to listen to you."

Great point! I got the owner and he suspended thier memeberships for a week.

Dumping tears up the equpment. Would you want to use a defective piece of equipment because some guy had to get his rock off from dumping heavy weight to fell macho?

I am on board with Tim.

Kenny Croxdale

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Fri May 02, 2008 8:54 am

scs217 wrote:I typically rack it. Sometimes with DB incline press I'll drop the last ~12" and with OL cleans or such I will drop the last 6-12".
In my gym, you be gone.

Why not get someone to spot you?
The DB's I have at my workplace gym are rubber so thats not an issue, and i have 1" thick 2'x2' rubber pads to throw the O bar down on (but I don't want to do it from a great height still).
It not an issue because you DIDN'T have to pay for the dumbbells. How convenient.

A rough mesaurement of the impact force of an object dropped from a certain distance can be determined by the "Lewis Formula." You can find the formula in "Power: A Scientific Approach" by Dr Fred Hatfield.

If a 50 lb dumbbell is dropped from 6 inhces it will have approximately 141 lbs of impact force. If dropped from 12 inches, it will have approximately 200 lbs of force.

The dumbbells at you place are more than likely rubber coated...they are NOT rubber. The rubber coating can and will be damanged from 141-200 lbs of impact force over time.

The dumbbells handles are METAL. Few dumbbell handles were NOT made to handle the daily activity of being dropped several times a day by various individuals dumping them.

Dumping the weight wear the mats out much sooner as well. However, that is only a problem for the person the owner of the gym and the others beside yourself who use the gym.

It like littering. Just a few pieces of trash throw out the window by millions of people add up.

However, as long as you do it in someone else neighborhood...it is their problem not yours.

Grow up.

Kenny Croxdale

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Fri May 02, 2008 1:19 pm

my gym recently had to get rid of two 35kilo dumbells becuase of folk dropping them.

pretty irritating considering they were the heaviest dumbells the gym had.

adam45h
n00b
n00b

Post by adam45h » Fri May 02, 2008 3:23 pm

KPj wrote:As a slightly amusing aside.....

The gym in question is a Fitness First if any of you guys have been to one. I can train at any fitness first (reciprocal membership). I use one about 30 miles from my home sometimes, just for dead lift sessions. They have a concrete floor and sometimes you even see chalk (gasp!).

Anyway, as a private protest, I made this other club my 'home club' - so they get the benefit of my membership money (they actually gave me a slight discount for doing it). So when I swipe into the one close to my home (about 5miles), they always say "you use this one much more, you should make this your home club, obviously you like it more etc etc". In which case I inform them that i'm paying the other gym, rewarding them for their common sense, but for the most part, i'm inflicting wear and tear on their gym, and paying them nothing, and I drink their free juice and coffee.

I openly say i'll continue to DL the way I do(they complain about it breaking the floor which it does) until they officially ban the exercise, throw me out, and tell them that if they fix the floor, I will change home club. They don't even care.

The best part is, someone else I know is about to do the same thing (he got into trouble for dropping the bar whilst DL'ing). He almost canceled, until I offered another, much sweeter solution (and it's the best gym in the area, unfortunately) When this happens, i'm going to say to them "oh btw, another person is now doing what i'm doing, and i'm out to recruit more and more protesters until all the members lifting in your club are paying another one for your troubles!

It's only a matter of time before theirs a new clause on the membership contracts... But it's satisfying none the less.

KPj
Read that in another thread a while back, really bothered me for some reason. This dude is bragging about messing up someone else's gym. I say never dump unless it belongs to you and you alone. Paying $20 a month doesn't give you the right to ruin equipment (which will in turn result in raising rates) for others.

Chris_A
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Chris_A » Fri May 02, 2008 8:43 pm

Seems like everyone (so far) agrees with me....always rack it. Unless, of course, you're in trouble. I've seen waaaaay too many people do DB Bench and just dump them. Racking the weight or controlling it after the lift is (in my opinion) also part of the work.

MrWonderful
Novice
Novice

Post by MrWonderful » Fri May 02, 2008 9:19 pm

I will say that I have dropped weights before while doing DB bench but that was typically due to have a sprained shoulder that wouldn't hurt when pressing but when lowering the weight to the ground would hurt.

The guy in the first video I'm not too concerned with due to it looking like he was lifting on a surface that was built to withstand having heavy weight dropped on it and the weights he was using were also meant to be able to be dropped. Coleman on the other hand threw the DB's which not only damages the weights, floor, and mats but could possibly hurt someone around him.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri May 02, 2008 10:11 pm

I agree with Kenny.

At the gym I go to we were without the 100 lbs. dumbbells for a while because some a$$hat dropped them too many times. There are also a few with slightly bowed handles.

While I'm at it I really hate it when people don't pick up after themselves. I hate having crap all over the place when I am trying to work out. I hate seeing a huge plate explosion clusterf**k all around the racks.

It's always dumb kids with egos.