No it's too scary.
No votes
No I don't know much about the lift.
21%

Total votes: 14

Manofsteel319

Snatch :)

Post by Manofsteel319 » Tue May 06, 2008 1:36 pm

I have been looking into olympic lifts and the snatch was one I haven't really been able to find much about. I know its's a crazy instense lift where you literally throw the weight over your head I want to do that. Anyone have any tips?

amivan

Post by amivan » Tue May 06, 2008 1:45 pm

yeah, learn the form before you throw on weights

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Tue May 06, 2008 2:25 pm

Several. Start out by doing overhead squats with the correct width hand spacing. You're going to need shoulder girdle flexibility, and this will help- a lot. Start with an empty bar. Go over to the video section at crossfit. Burgner has some very good learnig sequence video's in the OL section over there.
Tim

Manofsteel319

Post by Manofsteel319 » Tue May 06, 2008 2:27 pm

Awesome, and that workout does get you huge right? I have noticed crazy gains while dead lifting although i dont clean and jerk I should and if i do all compound OL should i do them all or rotate cause they all seem to work the same way. I'm going to try the snatch today at the gym with just the bar see what its like. I seen a video where it was breaking down the actual workout and they say you need to work on the explosiveness the actual initial jump. Intense.

TimD

Post by TimD » Tue May 06, 2008 2:39 pm

Getting huge is not determined necessarily by the lift itself. Many other factors weigh in. How much you eat, etc. It is a full body move using just about everything, minus maybe the benching and beach muscles. It will have the a great effect on your shoulder girdle and posterior chain. Bob Hoffman, of the old York Barbell Club and Strength and Health Magazine, once took a poll of all of his lifters on their favorite lifts/exercises in terms of which were "best", and after the pollresults, concluded that if all you were to do were the snatch and the bent (no, not a misspelling, look it up, it's an old timer's favorite) press, you could develope a tremendous body. I'm talking about the fullsnatch, split or squat. Power snatches are great too, but don't have the influence on the lower body of the full lift.
Tim

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Tue May 06, 2008 4:37 pm

Yes please... oh wait, exercise.

Chris_A
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Chris_A » Tue May 06, 2008 4:47 pm

TimD wrote:Several. Start out by doing overhead squats with the correct width hand spacing. You're going to need shoulder girdle flexibility, and this will help- a lot. Start with an empty bar. Go over to the video section at crossfit. Burgner has some very good learnig sequence video's in the OL section over there.
Tim
Tim, if a person was going to do the overhead squat, what is the best way to get into position? I’m thinking approach the rack and grab the bar as if doing a Front Squat, then do a Push Press.

I imagine another option is to Clean the weight and then Push Press........but for a beginner, what would you suggest for getting into position for an overhead squat?

TimD

Post by TimD » Tue May 06, 2008 5:01 pm

Chris, it's much more efficient to take it out of the rack. You could front press it, then let it down, but most back into the bar,and pushpress/jerk it up from behind the neck. Before everyone start's wincing, either way, you should be using a snatch/wide grip; how wide depends on your current level of flexibility, usually the wider the better, depending on arm length the bar should be just a few inches over your head (say 2-4"") You squat as normal, breaking at the hip and pushing the butt back,feet shoulder width or maybe a bit wider, go for what feels right to you, knees tracking over toes and outward at around 20-30 degrees. Now, yes, the trucnk/back remains straight, w/ low back slightly arched, but it will lean forward a bit, meaning the arms are going to be pointing slightly back behind the head to aintain the weight over the center of gravity. Great move for the core, shouldergirdle, hip and ankle flexibility.
Tim

Chris_A
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Chris_A » Tue May 06, 2008 5:16 pm

TimD wrote:.....meaning the arms are going to be pointing slightly back behind the head to aintain the weight over the center of gravity.
Crap! Thinking about that makes my shoulders hurt! :grin:

I imagine you have to be really careful not to hyper-extend your shoulders doing this?

How heavy can you go with this? I can't imagine using my working squat weight for an overhead squat! Right now, the celing in my "gym room" at home is too low for this exercise, so that's my excuse for now! :wink:

I might have to take the bar outside one day and give it shot.

TimD

Post by TimD » Tue May 06, 2008 5:28 pm

Another tip,is when holding the bar overhead, keep the shoulders fully shrugged.
Weight, start out with a wooden dowel or PVC pipe. At this point, you're just learning form and using it as a flexibility move I usually do these in 10's. Slowly work up to an unloaded O bar. After that, weight seems to be able to be added fairly quickly. As a strength exercise, I usually use reps in the 1-3 rep range. Most non-competitive weightlifters can usually get up to bodyweight x 10 or so. Definately don't put your front or back squat weight on there unless you're trying to mess something up.
Tim

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Tue May 06, 2008 7:08 pm

Tim, if a person was going to do the overhead squat, what is the best way to get into position? I’m thinking approach the rack and grab the bar as if doing a Front Squat, then do a Push Press.
Get a full size power rack and set the j-hooks up so you have to grab the bar while it's above your head.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Wed May 07, 2008 6:21 am

I tried it once years ago and went crashing into my garage door. Threw it right behind me, didn't let go, and followed the bar like a puppet tied to the bar until the weights(and I) hit the door.

I've been too petrified ever since.

It's definitely 'on the agenda' though. I do over head squats quite a lot, great exercise but can be tricky at first.

KPj

TimD

Post by TimD » Wed May 07, 2008 6:42 am

KPj's story had me going. Made me think of a very important point. Get good collars and make sure they're tightly fastened for this and other ballistics. I work out either in my k-word or out on the back porch, and I was doing a one armed BB version of this with the spring clips on. Bang. I had nice large hole in the wall. That's when i learned all about drywall repair.
Tim

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Wed May 07, 2008 7:12 am

I learned to barbell snatch - at least to power snatch from a hang just below the knees - from Rob Isza at Crossfit Morris County. TimD suggested after I got deadlift coaching my next shot should be the snatch, and as luck would have it they had a WOD set up using light snatches for high reps. So I got lots of practice while a former competitive OLer watched me. Sweet.

Since I have no bumpers and an extremely restricted space (lose the bar and I destroy valueable stuff that isn't mine) I keep the weights light now, but I still do them. I love that "if I let go this bar will fly into the ceiling" feeling when you get it right.

I finished out my workout with 1 minute of power snatches at 10kg. No idea how many reps - probably 35+, I lost count at 20 reps and 30 seconds left, but afterwards it felt really good.

The snatch is one of those exercises I really want to learn right, much more than the clean and jerk. It's fun to do and I think it's not nearly as complex as it is made out to be. One arm dumbbell versions are really easy to learn, too, and I don't need bumpers...if I screw up I've got another arm ready to grab the weight and lower it!

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed May 07, 2008 8:27 am

Tim--you've recommended this before, and I've putzed around with it a bit. If I keep the bar overhead, I get "stuck" going down, maybe about 1/3 of the way. I'd have to move the bar way forward or bring it down to my back to complete the squat. I tried it today, and having neither a dowel nor a piece of PVC pipe, I just used the O bar.

Just now I tried it in the k-word with a broom that only allows my hands to be about 3 1/2 feet apart. I can go down, but my hands drift forward as I do. I think earlier I felt the weight of the bar, and resisted letting it fall forward, but then I couldn't go down

Is this a flexibility issue? If so, where? Internal rotators?

I think my rear squat is fairly good form, at least I think I can tell the difference when I do it well and when it's not as good. I watched a Mark Rippetoe video where he says that the overhead is just like the rear squat except that the bar is in a different position. Doesn't seem quite that simple to me.