cleans in a workout

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

cleans in a workout

Post by robertscott » Wed May 07, 2008 1:21 pm

I've decided to incorporate hang cleans into my workout. this is probably a question that's been asked before (for which i apologise), but whereabouts should they go in my workout?

I use a 3 day split: legs, push and pull

Also i have a couple of questions about technique.
1. When you squat down should you squat all the way or do you stop at having your thighs parallel to the floor?

2. Should your elbows be parallel to the ground in the end position?

3. How many reps should i do?

Thanks.

TheHeb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by TheHeb » Wed May 07, 2008 2:10 pm

Since you're doing the cleans from the hang position, you're using your legs less than you would if you did a full clean, so I would think you should try it on your pull day.

1. Are you talking about when you "catch" the bar? If that's the case, then it varies. In the Hang Power Clean you hardly bend your legs. However, you could also catch the bar in a full squat position. The latter allows you to use more weight. It's really up to you.

2. You want your elbows up pretty high I guess. The bar should be resting up against your throat/clavicle, so I think having your humerus (the bone in upper arm that runs from shoulder to elbow) parallel to the ground would probably be pretty close.

3. Again this depends, this time on your goals. The hang clean is a power exercise, and (I think) the loading parameters for developing power are lots of sets with few reps, using low to medium-low weight, but you're probably better off asking someone else about that kind of stuff.

amivan

Post by amivan » Thu May 08, 2008 2:45 pm

To answer your first question; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSm8XMlo198
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKtOtLO4 ... re=related
those two guy's have a pretty decent form, you can also search exrx for a video and instructions (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Oly ... Clean.html)

As for the rep range, I like to use cleans as a muscular endurance/explosive training exercise. I'll do 2-3 sets of 10-12 reps and then start doing sets of 1x2 until I reach a weight I can't pick up, resting about 90 seconds between sets (usually less for the 1x2 sets until I get to the heavier weight range). I alternate it weekly with a 2 warmup set and a 10/8/6/4 workout. word of warning though, i do power cleans so the sets/reps may be different for hang cleans since you're likely to fatigue faster since the hang cleans are more of an upper body exercise.

As for your elbows, i was taught that parallel is the minimum, but don't think about it too much, it'll come naturally with time and experience you'll naturally keep your elbows higher.

oh and as for what day, with your workout splits, id probably do it on pull day as well

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Fri May 09, 2008 9:49 am

thanks guys, that tells me everything i need to know.