Question about a soreness.

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Question about a soreness.

Post by brook011 » Wed May 07, 2008 9:29 pm

Hi guys. Sorry about all of the posts, I'm trying to perfect my routine. After squatting today I get some fairly sore groin muscles almost right away. Now mind you, it is my second week of doing squats, and I keep the weight fairly low to ensure I'm keeping my form right. Any ideas why this might be?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed May 07, 2008 9:51 pm

Can you be more specific about which muscles, or the location of the pain?

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Wed May 07, 2008 9:56 pm

I'm pretty sure its the adductors, the ones on the inner thigh?

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Wed May 07, 2008 11:41 pm

brook011 wrote:I'm pretty sure its the adductors, the ones on the inner thigh?
Are you squatting with a wide stance? The adductors (specifically the adductor magnus) are activated by wide stance squatting.

Adductors tend to be weak and tight in untrained people. Stretching and training will eventually correct that problem.

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Thu May 08, 2008 12:03 am

Yeah it wasn't tight, it was more so sore after 3 sets "my usual number of sets, warmup, midrange, heavy". I was thinking it was just untrained, because it doesn't feel pulled. And yeah it was a bit wider stanced. There are no mirrors so I am totally focused on where my knees are at, where the center of weight is, straightening my back.. I could've done way more than the 8 x 185lbs but I'm trying to get my stabilizing muscles to strengthen up a bit. That being said, it is a very tough exercise, almost as much exerted as when I deadlift.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Thu May 08, 2008 3:41 am

I'm sore today after squatting last night, probably because I haven't squatted deep with that level of weight recently. It's probably just you get adjusted to the workout, rather than any specific problem.

If you've extended your range of squat depth, or if you are just going heavier, you might get some soreness...

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Thu May 08, 2008 9:13 am

Hah I thought those adductors were sore the day of the squat... oooohhh no theres a big difference between yesterday and today. I'll be looking for the elevators.

Manofsteel319

Post by Manofsteel319 » Thu May 08, 2008 9:19 am

lmao brook that was hilarious. I prefer stairs to be honest I love that feeling of almost not being able to make it up a few flights due to soreness. Almost like war wounds showing you your hard work does have an effect!!

amivan

Post by amivan » Thu May 08, 2008 2:30 pm

congrats, you just experienced DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness), it happens when you do a lot (relative to none) of eccentric loading and your body isn't used to it, fortunately, you won't experience the same severity of soreness (eventually none really) for the next 6 months after this goes away!

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Thu May 08, 2008 6:04 pm

See I've experienced soreness before, I've just never worked my adductors that hard before, so it was a different muscle completely out of my knowledge. The quadriceps are much better this workout, almost no soreness.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Thu May 08, 2008 7:26 pm

I've had some horrible DOMS myself when I did ab work before. I did set after set on my ball and ab board leg lifts/throws etc. The next 3 days the pain got really bad. No pain like I ever felt before w/ DOMS, I thought I tore some muscles or something. I didn't want to arch my back or anything just to keep the pain at a minimum. After a week & 1/2 it was gone. I'm sure w/e you are feeling is DOMS and don't be concerned about it.

Scott Ismari
Novice
Novice

Post by Scott Ismari » Thu May 08, 2008 7:36 pm

Typical results of squatting when your not used to it, thats what I call having fun! Although not a condition to continually strive for. :eek:

Chris_A
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Chris_A » Thu May 08, 2008 9:11 pm

I've noticed with DOMS and Legs, it's the second day that is the worse! If you're sore on the first day, you KNOW it's gonna be really bad on day 2. No other muscle group (at least for me) acts this way. Usually its only the next day and then it fades, but legs take two full days to get nasty. :)

Years ago when I first started working out at a company gym, I found a Thigh Addcutor machine. I'd never seen one before. My gym partners at the time told me to stay away from it since it was a "girl's machine" but I wanted to try it. I did 3-4 sets to failure and felt good, a bit wobbly, but good. The next day I was very sore and limping. On day 2, it was so bad I couldn't get out of bed easily. I actually had to just roll off the bed to the floor and slowly crab walk to stand up. Incredible.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Fri May 09, 2008 10:00 am

I find that pretty much every time i train my hamstrings they hurt -and i mean really hurt- for ages, sometimes over a week.

Think this is probably down to them being neglected for so long, I've been lifting for years but have only recently started making the effort to train hamstrings and also that fact that i've only just started stretching them as well (although for days after my workout they're way too sore to stretch).

My chest is another area of pain, although nothing like as severe as the hamstrings. This has always been the case for as long as I've been training, I've just sort of gotten used to being in some sort of pain all the time. I hope I'm not doing myself any sort of damage...

amivan

Post by amivan » Fri May 09, 2008 2:19 pm

Chris_A wrote:I've noticed with DOMS and Legs, it's the second day that is the worse!
that's why its delayed :)