Training and drinking

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 4424
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Training and drinking

Post by robertscott » Sun May 11, 2008 6:43 am

How detrimental an effect does booze have on your training?

I mean obviously I'd not touch a drop before training, that's just common sense, but i have a habit of going out on a friday and having quite a bit to drink.

I usually train on a thursday, so does having a drink on a friday night affect my recovery? Sometimes as well I train on a friday then that evening I'll be drinking, I can't help but think that after spending an hour in the gym going out that night and drinking is ruining the effort.

I've also heard alcohol interferes with your anabolic hormone production, is there any truth in this?

Thanks


User avatar
Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer
Posts: 2097
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:20 pm
Location: New York City

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sun May 11, 2008 7:28 am

@robertscott:

Light to moderate alcohol comsumption (up to 2 servings a day) has no negative effect on healthy individuals. In fact, there is some evidence that moderate alcohol consumption has cardiovascular benefit. But heavy alcohol consumption has been shown to cause the aromatization of androgens into estrogens. It also raises your blood pressure, and makes you more susceptible to strokes and arrhythmias. That certainly won't help your muscle building efforts.

Getting wasted puts you at a higher risk of getting involved in an accident. That won't help much either. Quite frankly, you should stop after the fourth drink.

User avatar
Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3992
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:40 am

Post by Ironman » Sun May 11, 2008 12:27 pm

I train so I can look good while drinking. :lol:

I think most of the stuff you hear about it is just bro talk. But like it was pointed out getting drunk isn't very good for you.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 4424
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Post by robertscott » Sun May 11, 2008 3:28 pm

I train so I can look good while drinking.
me too, the more i drink the better i look...

Anyways unless anyone has some concrete evidence that alcohol messes up your recovery or has any kind of catabolic property then I'll probably still have a few pints the day after a workout.

Not that I'm trying to make light of the problems of alcohol, but being healthy is one thing and having fun is another thing entirely...

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 537
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:08 am

Post by brook011 » Sun May 11, 2008 7:25 pm

Heavy drinking will cause fatigue/lifting hangover for up to 48 hours. That is the biggest issue I have with it. I try to limit myself to 3-4 beers max usually.


User avatar
Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer
Posts: 2097
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:20 pm
Location: New York City

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sun May 11, 2008 7:48 pm

robertscott wrote:Anyways unless anyone has some concrete evidence that alcohol messes up your recovery or has any kind of catabolic property then I'll probably still have a few pints the day after a workout.

Not that I'm trying to make light of the problems of alcohol, but being healthy is one thing and having fun is another thing entirely...
brook011 wrote:Heavy drinking will cause fatigue/lifting hangover for up to 48 hours. That is the biggest issue I have with it. I try to limit myself to 3-4 beers max usually.
Sweet dreams:
Alcohol consumed at bedtime, after an initial stimulating effect, may decrease the time required to fall asleep. Because of alcohol's sedating effect, many people with insomnia consume alcohol to promote sleep. However, alcohol consumed within an hour of bedtime appears to disrupt the second half of the sleep period (7). The subject may sleep fitfully during the second half of sleep, awakening from dreams and returning to sleep with difficulty. With continued consumption just before bedtime, alcohol's sleep-inducing effect may decrease, while its disruptive effects continue or increase (8). This sleep disruption may lead to daytime fatigue and sleepiness.

Alcoholic beverages are often consumed in the late afternoon (e.g., at "happy hour" or with dinner) without further consumption before bedtime. Studies show that a moderate dose1 of alcohol consumed as much as 6 hours before bedtime can increase wakefulness during the second half of sleep. By the time this effect occurs, the dose of alcohol consumed earlier has already been eliminated from the body, suggesting a relatively long-lasting change in the body's mechanisms of sleep regulation (7,8).

The adverse effects of sleep deprivation are increased following alcohol consumption. Subjects administered low doses of alcohol following a night of reduced sleep perform poorly in a driving simulator, even with no alcohol left in the body (9,10).
If you aren't working or working out during the weekend, getting wasted on Friday night isn't a big deal. Just don't get wasted if you have to be mentally sharp the next day.

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 537
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:08 am

Post by brook011 » Sun May 11, 2008 8:19 pm

Yeah, I'm almost guaranteed to wake up well before I would normally mid-sleep, and I usually have to drink 1-2 glasses of water and some ibuprofen "NOT ASPRIN" before I lay back down. At least I don't wake up hungover I guess.

Chris_A
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:13 pm

Post by Chris_A » Sun May 11, 2008 9:15 pm

One of the biggest problems with alcohol is its affect on fat burning and fat storage. Unlike Protein and Carbohydrates (and Fat of course) that can be stored in your body as fat if there is excess, Alcohol (7 calories per gram) does not have an intermediate stage/state in your body.

Alcohol is ultimately metabolized into acetate and can not be stored if there is excess. This means your body will burn acetate first if it is present in your body. Further, it must continue burning the acetate until it is gone. This means your body will run on alcohol as long as it is there which also means that any other fuel source that is present will be stored as fat. So definitely avoid binge eating when you’re drinking.

So if you’re drinking, and you eat, you are going to store much more fat than usual since your body will be running on acetate and will not need the food you consumed. As such, avoid drinking after a workout at least by 2 hours so that you get the maximum benefits from the EPOC effect (increased metabolism and post exercise fat burning) as well as having the maximum benefit of utilizing your post workout “meal” for repair (assuming you have a post-workout meal).

If you have a sensible diet and good metabolism, and you aren’t concerned with burning as much fat as possible, then alcohol shouldn’t be a problem in moderation.

User avatar
Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3992
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:40 am

Post by Ironman » Mon May 12, 2008 3:19 am

Stephen Johnson wrote:
robertscott wrote:Anyways unless anyone has some concrete evidence that alcohol messes up your recovery or has any kind of catabolic property then I'll probably still have a few pints the day after a workout.

Not that I'm trying to make light of the problems of alcohol, but being healthy is one thing and having fun is another thing entirely...
brook011 wrote:Heavy drinking will cause fatigue/lifting hangover for up to 48 hours. That is the biggest issue I have with it. I try to limit myself to 3-4 beers max usually.
Sweet dreams:
Alcohol consumed at bedtime, after an initial stimulating effect, may decrease the time required to fall asleep. Because of alcohol's sedating effect, many people with insomnia consume alcohol to promote sleep. However, alcohol consumed within an hour of bedtime appears to disrupt the second half of the sleep period (7). The subject may sleep fitfully during the second half of sleep, awakening from dreams and returning to sleep with difficulty. With continued consumption just before bedtime, alcohol's sleep-inducing effect may decrease, while its disruptive effects continue or increase (8). This sleep disruption may lead to daytime fatigue and sleepiness.

Alcoholic beverages are often consumed in the late afternoon (e.g., at "happy hour" or with dinner) without further consumption before bedtime. Studies show that a moderate dose1 of alcohol consumed as much as 6 hours before bedtime can increase wakefulness during the second half of sleep. By the time this effect occurs, the dose of alcohol consumed earlier has already been eliminated from the body, suggesting a relatively long-lasting change in the body's mechanisms of sleep regulation (7,8).

The adverse effects of sleep deprivation are increased following alcohol consumption. Subjects administered low doses of alcohol following a night of reduced sleep perform poorly in a driving simulator, even with no alcohol left in the body (9,10).
If you aren't working or working out during the weekend, getting wasted on Friday night isn't a big deal. Just don't get wasted if you have to be mentally sharp the next day.
That's what I would do when I worked graveyard shift if I needed to fall asleep right after work. 2 shots got me nicely relaxed. BY the time I got into bed, I was ready to sleep.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 3482
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:49 am

Post by KPj » Mon May 12, 2008 4:52 am

Stephen Johnson wrote:@robertscott:

Light to moderate alcohol comsumption (up to 2 servings a day) has no negative effect on healthy individuals.
I recommend combing this recommendations with a known 'weight watchers' diet technique.

"Save up" your 2 servings per day for Friday and Saturday, or even just one day. Monday to Thursday, plus Sunday = 10 servings, plus 2 servings on fri and 2 servings on sat. 14 servings.

It depends on the occasion I guess, but that leaves you with the option of 7 servings one night, and 7 on the other, or you can just save all servings for one day, and have 14?

KPj

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 4424
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Post by robertscott » Mon May 12, 2008 6:17 am

brook011 wrote:Heavy drinking will cause fatigue/lifting hangover for up to 48 hours.
I couldn't agree more, the one and only time I have ever tried working out hungover I was sick halfway through a barbell curl. Never again.

User avatar
stuward
moderator
moderator
Posts: 6650
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Post by stuward » Mon May 12, 2008 8:50 am

KPj wrote:
Stephen Johnson wrote:@robertscott:

Light to moderate alcohol comsumption (up to 2 servings a day) has no negative effect on healthy individuals.
I recommend combing this recommendations with a known 'weight watchers' diet technique.

"Save up" your 2 servings per day for Friday and Saturday, or even just one day. Monday to Thursday, plus Sunday = 10 servings, plus 2 servings on fri and 2 servings on sat. 14 servings.

It depends on the occasion I guess, but that leaves you with the option of 7 servings one night, and 7 on the other, or you can just save all servings for one day, and have 14?

KPj
I disagree. Damage from alcohol is not just due to the average volume but the quantity consumed at one time.

There are stress reduction benefits from the first drink but the second drink will reverse that benefit and each additional drink will compound the negative effect.

Alcohol will reduce protein synthesis which sort of means that you are wasting your time training if you drink heavily.

A night of binge drinking can undo a week of weight training.

Have an occational drink and don't get drunk.

http://www.rippednaturally.com/bodybuil ... cohol.html
http://www.ironmagazine.com/article273.html

Stu

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 3482
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:49 am

Post by KPj » Mon May 12, 2008 9:02 am

stuward wrote:
KPj wrote:
Stephen Johnson wrote:@robertscott:

Light to moderate alcohol comsumption (up to 2 servings a day) has no negative effect on healthy individuals.
I recommend combing this recommendations with a known 'weight watchers' diet technique.

"Save up" your 2 servings per day for Friday and Saturday, or even just one day. Monday to Thursday, plus Sunday = 10 servings, plus 2 servings on fri and 2 servings on sat. 14 servings.

It depends on the occasion I guess, but that leaves you with the option of 7 servings one night, and 7 on the other, or you can just save all servings for one day, and have 14?

KPj
I disagree. Damage from alcohol is not just due to the average volume but the quantity consumed at one time.

There are stress reduction benefits from the first drink but the second drink will reverse that benefit and each additional drink will compound the negative effect.

Alcohol will reduce protein synthesis which sort of means that you are wasting your time training if you drink heavily.

A night of binge drinking can undo a week of weight training.

Have an occational drink and don't get drunk.

http://www.rippednaturally.com/bodybuil ... cohol.html

Stu

Yeh but... I'm Scottish..... we love binging?



.. Only kidding. I do agree with you. Looking back at my post, I should have stated that. I was really having a dig at weight watchers fanatics who save up points all day so they can go out and get stupidly drunk at night.


KPj

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 4424
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Post by robertscott » Mon May 12, 2008 10:44 am

KPj's not wrong, us Scots do love to binge...

That point Stuward made about alcohol disrupting protein synthesis completely answers my original question. Still it's not really what i wanted to hear, I wish I'd never asked (just kidding...).

Cheers for the link to that effects of alcohol article i think that'll be an interesting - if not humbling - read.

Manofsteel319
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 1:10 pm

Post by Manofsteel319 » Mon May 12, 2008 11:08 am

What happens if your fat out of shape and never workout and drink? Not much. I don't think healthy minded people have to worry too much about drinking. Although worrying about it shows you have enough interest in your body not to mess it up. I say drinking every now and then doesn't hurt, much. LOL Live life and enjoy it drink and be responsible.


Post Reply