Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

diep dis
Novice
Novice

what your favorit upper and lower back work out

Post by diep dis » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:24 pm

my is deadlift for my lowerback and pull up and pull down for my upper back
i'm asking this quetion because i'm lacking behind with my back here a picture to show it
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii14 ... G_0574.jpg
need some idea for my back exercise.

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:31 pm

My general back workout is -- Pullups/chinups to Deadlift to Bent Barbell Row to Cable Row or sometimes eliminate the deadlifts depending on how my legs feel. Deadlifts have created the most size and definition for sure in my lower back, and rows have always been good to my upper back. You can even throw in some reverse flys as well, but it should be after the big movements, same with the cable/dumbbell exercises.

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:31 pm

Pull ups and chin ups will help your lats. You should also do some horizontal rows. Take a look at the exercises in the "General Back" section: http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/BackWt ... hor1913634

amivan

Post by amivan » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:15 pm

I like to do snatch-grip deadlifts, hyperextensions holding DBs to my chest, weighed pull-ups, rack pulls on back day.

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:00 pm

I like to include deadlifts (straight-leg or standard) in my leg workout. Meanwhile, for upper-back I like Barbell Bent-over Rows and Chin-ups. However, I like to do my Barbell Rows at a roughly 45-degree angle, with a shoulder-width overhand grip. This is also the only exercise for which I use wrist straps.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:36 pm

From looking at your picture. Row, Row and Row some more.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:59 pm

My favorites for the back are:

pullups of all kinds (various grips, weighted and unweighted)
one-arm dumbbell rows
deadlifts

I don't think you need much more variation than "Pullup, deadlift, and row" and various versions of those exercises. You can do other exercises, but I think variations of those three should be good for a while!

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 pm

pdell said it best, pullup-deadlift-row. one of the meanest thing ive been doing, is pullups followed by a lighter deadlift supersetted.

KPj

Post by KPj » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:31 am

Snatch grip rack pulls are the ultimate back, and especially upper back exercise in my opinion. Feels like your traps are snapping like guitar strings when you do it.

Normal rack pulls as well, but snatch grip puts a little extra emphasis on your upper back.

Of course I agree with pull ups and rows as well...

KPj

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:30 am

I like the RDL/SLDL then Row combo. Start upright, go down into the RDLor SLDL, do a row, then get erect and repeat.
Tim

KPj

Post by KPj » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:54 am

I just realised the thread was about the lower back, too.

My 'staples' are: Any deadlift variation, pull throughs, box squats.

My lower back used to be very weak. A combination of heavy sets with dead lift variations and high rep sets with pull throughs worked amazingly well for me to the point where my lower back is now one of my strong points. I've used loads of exercises, but my biggest recommendation would be deadlift (and variations) and pull throughs.

I've got the body type that naturally results in a stronger lower back as well, which is worth noting (long legs and arms, short torso).

KPj

TeeBee
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by TeeBee » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:46 am

Dead-lifts, man.

Nowadays I put my hands a wee bit closer together on the bar, and I swear I can lift more. That's the way the guys did it last Saturday at the World's Strongest Man competition at Madison Square Garden. One dude deaded 891 pounds. He won, by the way.

amivan

Post by amivan » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:49 am

I'll believe that, you don't have to start as deep in the hole if your hands are closer together. There's a perfect article related to this thread on T-nation.

http://www.t-nation.com/article/most_re ... e_deadlift

Skull_Crusher
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Skull_Crusher » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:53 am

Aside from the traditional barbell row, i'd also use the rear delt row. This was an exercise that i always tossed into the useless exercise pile until this past week. Did it for the first time on a whim and liked how it felt. I mustve stumbled upon a weakness of mine as well cause i went up 20 lbs (same reps) on the next workout. Anytime i can make jumps like that in one workout i take it that its a sign of a major weakness and i need to keep doing it. Not coincidentally, my bench press also went up 10 lbs.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:09 pm

Sounds like weak posterior delts for sure. Strengthening them improved your shoulder girdle allowing your anterior delts to do more in the bench.