Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

Labyrinth
Novice
Novice

hook grip vs mixed grip

Post by Labyrinth » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:48 pm

I was watching this video showing a 836lb deadlift using a hook grip:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=f8HQOoJvQws

I've never seen a power lifter use this before and wanted to ask what the pros and cons of the hook grip vs. the mixed grip.

I have experience with both but haven't really tested out which is stronger.
I switched to a mixed grip from a hook to improve my grip strength (I switch the dominant hand each set to make sure both forearms get worked evenly).

Which grip do you think is best for developing forearm/grip strength?

Chris_A
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Chris_A » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:11 pm

It’s hard to tell in that video if he is really using a hook grip, but it definitely looks like it. Watch just before he wraps his fingers around the bar. You can see the thumb out, and then it looks as if he tucks the thumb and then wraps the fingers over it.

A Closed Grip is when both hands are pronated (facing you), and the thumb wraps over the fingers.

A Hook Grip is when both hands are pronated and you wrap the pointer and index fingers over your thumb.

The Alternate or Mixed Grip has one hand pronated and one hand supinated.

Proponents of the (true) Hook Grip say you can handle more weight than with either of the other grips. However, it is rather uncomfortable until you get used to it as your fingers are compressing the, as Battlestar Galatica would say, FRAK out of your thumbs. The idea is that you have two fingers holding the thumb (kind of like a strap) instead of one thumb holding the fingers.

The Mixed Grip has opposing faces (supinated and pronated) so that the bar can’t roll out of your hands. The opposing grips stop or limit the rolling allowing more weight to be held in most cases.

Personally, I find a true Hook Grip to be very uncomfortable, but I’ve not stuck with it long enough to break through and get comfortable with it like some have. I use a Closed Grip for most exercises, but on really heavy Deads, I often switch to a Mixed grip as I tire. The idea being I want to train my regular Closed Grip first to handle the heavier weights thus improving my overall grip.

Chris_A
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Chris_A » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:16 pm

Just found an awesome article explaining the differences (with pictures). Good stuff.

http://www.sini.co.uk/strength/articles ... lained.pdf

Chris_A
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Chris_A » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:25 pm

Oh, and opposite a regular Closed Grip is the Thumbless or Monkey Grip (open grip) where you place the thumbs behind the bar instead of around it. I use this for Pulldowns, and many prefer it for Squats. There are also many that use a Thumbless grip for benchpress, but it isn’t a good idea.

TeeBee
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by TeeBee » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:33 am

When dead-lifting, I use the alternated grip. (I don't know of anyone who doesn't.)

My left hand uses a closed grip, and my right hand uses the monkey grip.

Why monkey? My right hand has been sore from military presses, so I tried the monkey when deading. To my surprise I had more strength in the lift.

Labyrinth
Novice
Novice

Post by Labyrinth » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:07 am

Thanks for the replies guys..

I'm still unsure which is better for building up grip strength mixed or alternate.
Maybe I'll do some dl sets and see which activate my forearms more.

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:16 am

Labyrinth wrote:Thanks for the replies guys..

I'm still unsure which is better for building up grip strength mixed or alternate.
Maybe I'll do some dl sets and see which activate my forearms more.
The best for building up grip strength is "A Closed Grip is when both hands are pronated (facing you), and the thumb wraps over the fingers."

Labyrinth
Novice
Novice

Post by Labyrinth » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:54 pm

Thanks Stu, that's what I've been doing until I need to switch my
grip to something stronger.

I guess the difference is negligible which I use after my double pronated grip gives out then?

amivan

Post by amivan » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:59 pm

Labyrinth wrote:Thanks Stu, that's what I've been doing until I need to switch my
grip to something stronger.

I guess the difference is negligible which I use after my double pronated grip gives out then?
if you cant hold onto the bar anymore switch to the alternating grip alternating which way each hand faces each set