Immune System

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

ellerbus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Immune System

Post by ellerbus » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:02 am

Do any of you guys feel that weight lifting (or exercise in general) boosts the immune system? This week my wife and daughter are sick, so I've taken the week off from lifting because I figured I might get sick (luckily so far I haven't). But that got me thinking : Does working out boost the immune system?

FYI: I haven't had a biology class in 20+ years so forgive any ignorance.

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:28 am

Yes and no. It's all about recovery. The right amount of exercise and you get stronger, too much and you get sick.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/inju ... munity.htm

Proper nutrition and stress management can also support your immune system.

Here's another good article: http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0268.htm
One caveat, the article refers to "the University of Newfoundland" which, as all Atlantic Canadians know, does not exist. The only university in Newfoundland is called "Memorial University of Newfoundland".

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:55 am

As Stuward said, 'yes and no'.

The people around me are sick all the time. My girlfriend is lucky to go 1 month without being ill in some way. Rarely anything that stops her in her tracks but never the less, it happens frequently. I on the other hand am practically never ill. My work mates seem to be permanently ill too. But i'll keep eating my veggies instead of McD's and reap the benefits.

When I catch a cold or anything silly like that, it lasts about 2 days.

Everyone I know who is ill seemingly all the time has 2 things in common. Crap diets and they don't exercise. Diet is clearly the biggest factor....

People who train normally make a conscious effort to eat better, too...

KPj

TeeBee
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by TeeBee » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:22 am

If I didn't work in an office with sick people who cough all day I probably would rarely get sick.

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:26 am

TeeBee wrote:If I didn't work in an office with sick people who cough all day I probably would rarely get sick.
This is a big factor. Being in the military, most of my coworkers are reasonably fit and there are very few illnesses going around. My kids are in school so they encounter sick people all the time and that's when flus and such come into the house.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:34 pm

Keep in mind that the rate of infectious, particularly viral illness is inversely proportional to age. One of the benefits of growing older!

Yeah, kids in school get more viruses (on average 6 per year) than kids who are home schooled, but kids in general get a lot more than young adults who get more than older adults. The best "boost" for the immune system is infection! There are many, but a finite number of respiratory viruses, and usually one develops permanent immunity to each one as one gets it. I forget what the rate of viral illness is in older adults, but something like 1 in 2 or 3 years.

Exercise and food diet help, but a lot of it depends on what you were exposed to earlier in life.