Reverse shrug on lat pulldown

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

bob

Reverse shrug on lat pulldown

Post by bob » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:26 pm

I was shown this exercise a few years ago by a trainer. It's the reverse shrug on the lat pulldown machine. You assume the starting point for the lat pulldown,except instead of pulling the bar to your chest, you shrug your shoulders keeping your elbows locked. Emphasize depressing the scapula, keeping your chest high and looking straight ahead. I haven't been able to find this exercise though on the internet. Just thought i would share this with the guys and gals.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:49 pm

It's called a "scap depression."

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: Reverse shrug on lat pulldown

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:08 pm

bob wrote:I was shown this exercise a few years ago by a trainer. It's the reverse shrug on the lat pulldown machine. You assume the starting point for the lat pulldown,except instead of pulling the bar to your chest, you shrug your shoulders keeping your elbows locked. Emphasize depressing the scapula, keeping your chest high and looking straight ahead. I haven't been able to find this exercise though on the internet. Just thought i would share this with the guys and gals.
Jungledoc wrote:It's called a "scap depression."
Odd, the example on this site for scapular depression uses a dip rather than a pulldown.

What is the purpose of the exercise? To improve posture in the upper back?

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:04 am

Stephen Johnson wrote: What is the purpose of the exercise? To improve posture in the upper back?
Pretty much - It trains the Lower Traps, which depress the shoulder blades. It's normally called'straight arm lat pull downs'. The dip version does the same movement..

It's a great exercise - thing I love about it is that it doesn't really cause any DOMS or fatigue. When muscles like the lower traps are 'dormant', it's important to give them a lot of volume. This exercise can get thrown in between exercises when training legs to 'sneak' some more volume in.

I always do it in the 12-15 rep range.

KPj

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:21 am

Stephen Johnson wrote: Odd, the example on this site for scapular depression uses a dip rather than a pulldown.
Dips and pull downs both move the arms in the same direction and affect the scapula the same. That's why when pairing vertical push and vertical pull, it's better to pair overhead press with pull ups and pair dips with cleans or upright rows.

bob

Post by bob » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:41 am

A subsequent search for lat shrugs, rather than reverse lat shrugs led me to several links for info describing the exercise. Haven't found a video of the exercise though.

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:56 am

It's done exactly how you described it in your original post...

Main thing to watch out for is your elbows bending to compensate.

KPj

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:11 am

Here's a good article that mentions it along with a lot of information on shoulder mobility.
http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=265

The author is the same as the SquatRx series.

bob

Post by bob » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:42 pm

Thanks for the link on the pulldown shrug, Stuward. Hard to tell by the pic, but it looks like the guy is leaning back slightly. I was taught to keep the back straight,in a neutral position and chest high. Also to keep the bar in line with the scapulae as i shrugged.

Proper Knob

Post by Proper Knob » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:46 pm

Could the same results be achieved by hanging from a chin-up bar and, with arms kept straight, pulling the shoulders up? If that makes sense.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:49 pm

Yes. Something I read suggested this. I'd think of pulling the shoulders down, or pulling the body up with the shoulders, again with the elbows straight. Now I want to try it. I'll see if I can add a few to the end of my chins tomorrow.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:31 pm

Do you mean hang from a chinup-bar and shrug upwards? I've done it before to finish out sets of chinups. I'm not sure how it compares to doing straight-arm pulldowns, though.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:46 pm

anything you have to depress the scap works it. You can also sit at a seated row machine or cable (whatever seated row you have access to) and depress/retract your scap as well. Even doing a bent over row or one arm row, depress/retract.

What I focus on in every set (either can be pull ups, pulldowns, rows, etc) is relaxing my scap and then depress/retracting it and then do my pull or push. You don't need to actually just retract or depress your scap alone unless you need to work on getting those muscles firing (just like you would do with the glutes) and then slowly progressing to the actual movement of the row, pull up, or pulldown.

By the way - a good exercise for the lower trapz focus only is the T (done on a stability ball or bench, but I prefer ball).