Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

ia
n00b
n00b

Proportional Weight Targets

Post by ia » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:02 am

Hi everyone new user here.

I was wondering if someone could give some advice on final weight targets for different muscle groups & exercises with regards to bodyweight.

For example i was told that a good final target for squats is 2xbodyweight (i'm 88kg so that would be 170-180kg) and the same for deadlifts, whereas bench press would be 1.5xbw so 130-140

So what would be the final targets with regards to bodyweight for other basic exercises (military press, triceps dips, lat pulldown/chin ups, biceps curls, shrugs, calves etc) in an ideally PROPORTIONAL body?

maybe i'm asking for too much here, after all every lifter is different and there's probably a lot of controversy regading this topic, but some good advice would be well appreciated!

thanks alot!

ia

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:36 am

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:26 am

This is an article that presents data on how much you should be able to lift in certain lifts in relation to other lifts, not to your body weight.
http://www.t-nation.com/article/bodybui ... alance&cr=

A lot more than your body weight affects lifting ability; training experience, diet, sleep, body type and proportions, age, and on and on. I think it's a lot more important to compete with yourself than with other lifters.

ia
n00b
n00b

Post by ia » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:42 am

thank you both for your replies.
combined, they give me pretty much what i'm looking for, although Jungledoc, the article you linked me to oly talks about upper extremities and specifically the front
would you or anyone else be aware of any articles describing the rest of the body?

thanks alot again!

ia

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:06 am

You need to balance your quad and hamstring development in order to prevent injuries but the exact ratios depend on what type of sport you're in. Just avoid wild variances. If you're squating and deadlifting, you don't have to be concerned about exact ratios. You will be working both enough. If all you do is run a lot, or bodybuild, focusing on your mirror muscles, you will likely have problems. Many people ignore the front of their calves. This can contribute to shin splints. It doesn't take much to correct this.

ia
n00b
n00b

Post by ia » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:13 am

stuward thanks for your reply.

I swim, play waterpolo and run a bit. Also play some other teamsports occasionally, like soccer, basketball

I try to train properly, not just mirror muscles as you say, and love doing compounds, like deadlifts, squats etc after all i think they are the most useful exercises for sports and for developing the "obscure" muscles people forget to train.

This is precisely why i asked the question in the first place, as people will tend to brag about their bench press or bicep curls but i would like to know what targets is should be setting myself for things like pulldowns, shoulder presses, tricep dips etc so that i'm training symmetrically and developing strength in muscles that i actually need for sport

so your replies are all well appreciated, thank you and keep them coming if you have more advice!

thanks again

ia

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:16 am

ia wrote:thank you both for your replies.
combined, they give me pretty much what i'm looking for, although Jungledoc, the article you linked me to oly talks about upper extremities and specifically the front
would you or anyone else be aware of any articles describing the rest of the body?

thanks alot again!

ia
A few weeks ago I searched to see if Poliquin has updated this article or written something similar on lower extremities, but I didn't find anything. I second what Stu said. Just keep working on all the big exercises, and the proportions will sort of take care of themselves. Well, not that I'd know, I'm pretty disproportional, but that's the approach I'm taking.

Stu--say some more about the front of the calves.

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:34 am

Jungledoc wrote: Stu--say some more about the front of the calves.

The exact mechanism is debatable but the cure is the same:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_splints
exercises that preferentially strengthen the anterior muscles may help alleviate or avoid shin splints.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/shin-s ... prevention
Add strength training to your workout. To strengthen your shins, try toe raises. Stand up. Slowly rise up on your toes, then slowly lower your heels to the floor. Repeat 10 times. When this becomes easy, do the exercise holding progressively heavier weights. Leg presses and other exercises for your lower legs can be helpful, too.
This site has the best info on shin splints:
http://www.watfxc.com/TF/TF%20Education ... plints.htm

Here's exrx's list of exercises.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/CalfWt ... hor1929502

Stu

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:21 am

Those links are very good on shin splints. I should have been more specific in my request.

Do you routinely include calf raises or presses in your workouts? How much?

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:34 am

Jungledoc wrote:Those links are very good on shin splints. I should have been more specific in my request.

Do you routinely include calf raises or presses in your workouts? How much?
I train calves about once a month. They get enough work from supporting my body. It's not an area I have to work at.

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:24 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by "a good final target." Right now, I can squat and deadlift close to 2X bodyweight, bench press 1.5X bodyweight and military press nearly bodyweight. However, I'm still improving all the time. In fact, I don't think I'm anywhere near my full potential.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:29 pm

PS) Most people can deadlift more than they can squat.

airhog
Novice
Novice

Post by airhog » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:22 pm

Matt Z wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by "a good final target." Right now, I can squat and deadlift close to 2X bodyweight, bench press 1.5X bodyweight and military press nearly bodyweight. However, I'm still improving all the time. In fact, I don't think I'm anywhere near my full potential.

How long have you been lifting seriously?

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:41 pm

Well ... I started lifting shortly before my 12th birthday, and I'm now 27. Aside from a few years in collage, I've weight trained for all that time. However, most of that time was bodybuilding type training. It's only in the last few years that I've started focusing mainly on strength.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:08 am

The idea of a "final target" interests me. I'm 55, and have been training only a little over 2 years. I'm often frustrated by my slow progress, and wonder how far I will be able to go. Will I level off at some point, and just maintain, or will I slowly lose ground? Should I set a goal (BW, 2xBW, etc.) or should I just keep pushing up not knowing how far I can go?