Deadlifts.

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

Proper Knob

Deadlifts.

Post by Proper Knob » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:36 am

Hello all,

Just a quick questions about deadlift grip(s). What are the pro's and con's of varied grips, if there are any, when performing deadlifts?

With my palms facing me i can only go so far before my grip, particularly my right hand, begins to fail. If i then face my right palm away from me i can carry with more weight.

What are the implications of changing my grip, ie. Does it stress different muscle groups? Should i then change my grip around so that my left palm is facing outward and my right palm facing me to balance it out?

Phil.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:49 am

Well, as you said, both palms facing you is the most difficult.

When one palm is turned away from you, you just get some external rotation of that shoulder which obviously puts more emphasis on the external rotators, compared with internal rotation on the other side (palm facing you) It's quite subtle, really, but most coaches recommend that switch them around so that you avoid the potential for an imbalance.

Personally, I use both palms facing me when I work up the weight. When it becomes difficult I use the alternate grip. Usually, I just alternate it set by set, so that either side gets equal attention, but recently I have been using the weak grip (for me, left palm facing me, right palm away from me, is weakest) until I get up to my heaviest sets, then I'll switch it around, then as soon as I decrease weight I go back to the weak side. I've found both sides are starting to even out now, and I can alternate to the weak side during a near-max set and it doesn't play on my mind that my grip might go.

The thing is, if your still doing all your pressing, rowing, and pull up variations, as well as anything else you may do that doesn't involve an alternate grip, then a little discrepancy on the DL grip is hardly going to make a difference.

KPj

Proper Knob

Post by Proper Knob » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:34 pm

Thanks,

That was basically what i was thinking but i just wanted to make sure, it never hurts to ask.

Phil.