How to do more chin pull up exercise

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

David80
former lurker

How to do more chin pull up exercise

Post by David80 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:58 am

I am trying to do chin pull up exercises, i can hardly do only one repetition which is not even to full extension. Is there any other exercise to start off to strengthen on chin pull up exercises?

wilburburns

Re: How to do more chin pull up exercise

Post by wilburburns » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:25 pm

David80 wrote:I am trying to do chin pull up exercises, i can hardly do only one repetition which is not even to full extension. Is there any other exercise to start off to strengthen on chin pull up exercises?
I know the feeling. My Chinups/pullups suck and I can't do very many at all.

However, the best way to get better at Chinups/pullups is to do more Chinups and Pullups. Also, you can try Negatives and Assisted Pullups.

Cliff

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:49 pm

wilburburns already gave you some good advice.

Negatives are good - you jump up just enough to get to the top, and then lower yourself down slowly. Careful with these because it's easy to do too many...you get to just jumping up and then dropping down, which is another exercise entirely.

Assisted chinups are fine, too, although the one time I tried one of those machines at the gym it was a scary experience...lucky for me I already could do multiple chinups, I was just helping a friend with her workout. Another way to assist is with bands, like so:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGBi2tNBPtQ
(For regulars here, that's my trainer, John, on the right)
You can get Jump Stretch or Iron Woody bands for exactly these purposes. If you don't have a rack, you need to get two bands and hang them from the bar. Then you can use them stirrup style for assistance.

Kipping pullups can help. I've heard contradictory statements about their value for "dead-hang" pullups. Some folks swear the more kipping pullups you can do, the more normal pullups you can do. Others say that kipping pullups are so different one doesn't help the other. So with that in mind, here is the kipping pullup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAZaHzd6qAY

Lat pulldowns are also useful. These are especially helpful if you want to do extra work to help your chinning muscles; you can set the weight to whatever rep count you want to aim for and then work there. Try to use a bar that matches what you're pulling up on, too. You can use these for extra work - if you can only get 1 chinup, maybe you can do 3-5 sets of single chinups as "maximum effort" lifting and then add some lat pulldowns for sets of 6-10 reps afterwards to get some extra work in. They are generally regarded as inferior to actually doing chinups for developing chinups, though.

There is a whole T-Nation article aimed at improving chinups. I've never tried this, but it may help you. I've used the grip routine in it to improve my grip strength.
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... ur_chin_up

And this article is aimed at women, but applies to anyone who needs to learn to do a pullup for the first time:
http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=51

Hope that helps,

Peter

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:57 pm

Try doing pullup/chinups with assistance, either a band under your feet, using a Gravitron, putting one foot on a chair, having someone help you up, etc. Use only as much assistance as you need to complete the reps and eventually you will be able to do them with no assistance.

Edit: I didn't see Peter's post before I posted mine.