strength standards

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

timothy
n00b
n00b

strength standards

Post by timothy » Fri May 29, 2009 1:45 pm

I have been lifting inconsistently with no plan for probably 20 years; during that time I have been a recreational runner and bicyclist (ran dozens of road races and ridden an organized century). I'm trying to be more consistent with my weight training now because I realize that I'm simply weaker than I'd like to be!

I saw the strength standards and am at the novice level for bench press and probably the press, but at or below the un-trained level for the others. Is it sensible to concentrate on the exercises where I'm weaker and just do minimal bench press and press type exercises while the other categories "catch up". I'd like to keep my running where it's at (3 days per week with some 5- and 10-k racing), but augment it with 2 days/wk of lifting.

I have had a few knee injuries over the years so think it's probably best to concentrate on my legs anyway.

Comments?

Thank you!

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Fri May 29, 2009 1:51 pm

If you were above novice level in the pressing moves, I'd say maybe you might want to specialize. But you're not. Concntrate on all across the board.
Tim

timothy
n00b
n00b

Post by timothy » Fri May 29, 2009 3:02 pm

Good. I've started following the basic program guidelines on this site. Thanks.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Fri May 29, 2009 6:32 pm

TimD wrote:If you were above novice level in the pressing moves, I'd say maybe you might want to specialize. But you're not. Concntrate on all across the board.
Tim
I'll second Tim's opinion here. Those standards are from the guys who generated the Starting Strength routine (see the basic routines sticky). Regardless of where you fall on each lift, you work all of them equally hard. The ones were you are a bit more advanced on will slow down and plateau of their own accord, while the others will catch up. Especially for someone just starting out, you don't want to try to reach a certain "balance" - you just want to get stronger overall.