New exercises?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

New exercises?

Post by Wouter » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:50 am

Hey, I was just randomly thinking about exercises and I thhought about some new? exercises. I don't know if they're efficient, good or just 100% idiotic, just some food for thought.

Exercise 1: Neck Deadlift
Essentially a deadlift, but performed with weights hanging from the neck by using a neck harness.
Of course, you will have to use very light weights in the beginning since you don't want to injure your neck vertebrae.
But after some time, you'll have a much stronger neck, which will reduce the risk when using heavier weights.

I think this might be one of the best neck strengthening exercises.

exercise 2: lying triceps extension (no this isn't a skullcrusher, but I couldn't think of another name)
Lie on a bench like you would do to do a pullover.
With 1 difference, your arms are bent at the elbow.
Now do tricep extensions (no extension/flexion at the shoulder, just the elbow extension/flexion)

exercise 3: lying front raise
Lie with your chest down on a bench
now grab weights (arms are perpendicular to floor)
and do front raises untill your arms are in a straight line with your body

Last 2 are isolation, I know but they might have a different effect on developing the triceps and shoulder respectively.
(I hope the description is good enough)

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:25 pm

exercise 2 and 3 look fine to me, but there's no way in hell i'd try number one.

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:09 pm

Ex 3 would hit rear delts, wouldn't it?

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:52 pm

I do this exercise, I invented for my anterior tibialis. Stand (balance) on a step with one foot. The other foot is off the edge and hold a dumbell on the groove of your toes. I alternate legs and do 3 holds of 30 seconds. Gives a great AT workout and really hits a bunch of small muscloes in foot as well. The non-working foot gets a good stability workout. And the working leg ends up being tensed both front and back.

I know it sounds goofy, but I really get a good feel from it. And some of the big guys in the weight room are starting to notice it and wonder if my big legs come from that (no, genetics).

I am up to a 50# dumbell. Have to wrap a towel around the dumbell or it cuts into my foot to much.

Nevage

Post by Nevage » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:34 pm

I do exercise 2 because skull crushers have started to irritated my elbow and I find that a lot easier on it.It's basically a skull crusher but your arms are hanging behind your head so you get a real good stretch of the triceps.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:48 pm

Nevage wrote:because skull crushers have started to irritated my elbow
GET ELBOW SLEEVES, either ATP or from EFTS.

Dude seriously, get them now. It will be the best $25 you ever spent.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:41 pm

#1 sounds crazy - if you want to isolate the neck, hold plates on your head - I've done those and you're holding it with your hands so it's safer.

#3 does sound like rear delts and maybe even lats??

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:04 am

Why would you want to isolate the neck?

KPj

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:41 am

Stronger neck means safer spinal cord, I would think.

I've never done any neck-specific exercises. I assume it just gets stronger through all the compound lifts I do, maybe I'm wrong? :O

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:54 am

NightFaLL wrote:Stronger neck means safer spinal cord, I would think.
Only if lack of strength is the problem. For example, contrary to popular belief, most people with back pain do NOT have a weak back....
NightFaLL wrote: I've never done any neck-specific exercises. I assume it just gets stronger through all the compound lifts I do, maybe I'm wrong? :O
This was really my point. I know my neck is a lot thicker now than it was years ago, presumably from all the whole body/compound lifts. I'm just curious why someone would train their neck. I guess there 'might' be sport specific reasons but I couldn't really comment on that. I think it's an area best left alone, really.

I must admit when I first seen this thread it, I thought it was called 'neck exercises' and not 'new exercises'. Ooops. So, i thought there was somekind of focus on the neck and not someone just brainstorming...

BTW number 3 is basically 'prone trap raises' or 'prone Y's'. I do them all the time, except with the bench on a slight incline. It hits the lower traps via upward rotation of the scap (a function most need to train). Great exercises.

Is it just me or is number 2 just a 'lying tricep extension' ?

KPj

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:09 pm

There was another thread on it recently. Admittedly it's been maybe a year since I did neck training, but if I can certainly see the value in guarding against injury.

frigginwizard

Post by frigginwizard » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:28 pm

KPj wrote:Why would you want to isolate the neck?

KPj
I've heard that fighter pilots do neck isolation exercises, but other than that I cant imagine doing them. My neck has gotten plenty thick as Ive gained strength.

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:39 pm

My point is, how does it guard against injury?

There is a ceiling on how much strength is 'healthy', otherwise powerlifters would be the healthies guys/girls around....

This is a good example of that saying, "if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail".

Also, training the neck in extension doesn't sound healthy at all. Quite/very often, the neck extensors are over used and the anterior neck flexors underused AKA forward head posture. Couple that with people looking at the sky (extension and hyperextension) when they deadlift, do pull ups, BO Rows, etc, and you have quite a lot of 'neck work', and very much favourable to the rear of the neck/extensors. Add to all that some 'direct neck training' covering again, extension, and you have a recipe for pain.

Again, though, strengthening the neck (a broad statement i.e. how do you want to strengthen it?) will only guard you against injury if lack of strength is the problem. It's not a problem for most people with lower back pain so, why would it be a problem for people with neck pain?

I always ask myself 2 questions before doing something,

Why do I want to do it? (to strengthen the neck???)

and,

How do I know that I need it? (I don't....... I'm 'assuming' I do)

KPj

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:43 pm

frigginwizard wrote: I've heard that fighter pilots do neck isolation exercises, but other than that I cant imagine doing them. My neck has gotten plenty thick as Ive gained strength.
In that case you can see why they would do it. In theory, Boxers/MMA types might see some value in it - if the neck is actually weak. For the recreational lifter, it sounds pointless and potentially dangerous. Remember also that fighter pilots, MMA guys/Boxers will normally have the guidance of a coach who can be a lot more objective about what they need, too....

I think the only direct neck work i've done is chin tucks, for postural reasons when I had forward head posture. That was to activate/strengthen the anterior neck flexors (muscles under your chin). Was never with any load, though.

KPj

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:57 pm

Or football? Or... any sport that has the potential for upper spinal injury? Which is any contact sport. Or riding a bicycle or driving a car and being in an accident? Or getting a piano dropped on your head?