The most important things I've learned in the gym

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

Jungledoc

The most important things I've learned in the gym

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:58 pm

So the other thread got me thinking (a painful, and uncommon event). What are my essential beliefs about exercise and strength? Would most of the people on this forum agree about a few essential premises?

So here's the challenge. State 3-5 principles that are your core beliefs about exercise and strength training. I think we can avoid most of politics, religion, unless you feel that it is essential to quote from your favorite politician or to pray before each set. Otherwise, we can just assume that we will disagree about those things. Basic beliefs about diet and nutrition are legitimate to include.

Here are mine:

*Some form of resistance exercise is the most important for the well-being of the body.
*Compound exercises that mimic or at least come close to mimicing movements that are needed in life are most important.
*There should be an effort to include all important movements of all parts of the body.
*Exercise should be frequent, regular and consistent.
*Eating real food, minimizing processing, deriving most carbohydrates from vegetables and fruit, and including a generous proportion of fat and protein is the most healthful way to eat.

I'll think about this for a while, and reserve the right to revise my list!

Rucifer

Post by Rucifer » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:58 pm

I like this thread better-

*Strength training takes precedent, but only 2-3 days a week and around 45 mins a session. Anything more does not add any health benefits of strength training. More than that is vanity or competitive reasons.

*I believe its important to get exercise away from the gym outside for health and mental well being. Whether that's sports, or riding a bike, or hiking at the park, etc, this also does wonders for health.

*For diet, its important to look past what most conventional wisdom nutrition has to say about what we should eat. Snackwells low fat chocolate cookies is not a "healthy" snack than eating a handful of roasted almonds.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:40 pm

Rucifer wrote:I like this thread better-

*Strength training takes precedent, but only 2-3 days a week and around 45 mins a session. Anything more does not add any health benefits of strength training. More than that is vanity or competitive reasons.

*I believe its important to get exercise away from the gym outside for health and mental well being. Whether that's sports, or riding a bike, or hiking at the park, etc, this also does wonders for health.

*For diet, its important to look past what most conventional wisdom nutrition has to say about what we should eat. Snackwells low fat chocolate cookies is not a "healthy" snack than eating a handful of roasted almonds.
how about every other day? I want to try and get fast gains this summer before the fall semester starts, so I am planning every other day to build muscle fast along with whey protein, creatine, l glutamine, and dextrose corn sugar. I am sick of being weak and not being able to hit balls far.

Helena115
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: The most important things I've learned in the gym

Post by Helena115 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:12 am

Jungledoc wrote:So the other thread got me thinking (a painful, and uncommon event).
Ouch. Have an aspirin.

Good post though! :)

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:22 am

1. Base you training around compound lifts
2. Work/learn proper form
3. Leave your ego outside. This is difficult for us guys.
4. You have to have some flexibility and cardio
5. You gotta eat if you want to grow.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:31 am

-Progression. You need it. Without it, you are wasting your time. Whether it be weight, volume, TUT, whatever. YOU NEED TO PROGRESS.

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:22 am

Everybody is different. Only you know what you need to do.

Work on your weaknesses. This could be muscular strength, acedemics, relationships, whatever. Get a life.

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:26 am

caangelxox wrote:

how about every other day? I want to try and get fast gains this summer before the fall semester starts, so I am planning every other day to build muscle fast along with whey protein, creatine, l glutamine, and dextrose corn sugar. I am sick of being weak and not being able to hit balls far.
Mon, you're talking about periodizing for a short term specific goal (which I think is appropriate) but these are general guidelines. You should know when you need to deviate from them for your specific situation.

GTO
Novice
Novice

Post by GTO » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:00 am

I lift for quality of life, I had heart troubles at a young age and just want to stick around to see my kids go to college.
I have made it my "hobby and lift and do wind sprints or some sort of HIIT to stay in shape. I'm not that big or strong that I can ever compete but it's still nice to be able to go to the beach and take my shirt off.

Discipline- weight training teaches discipline which is essential to accomplish anything in life

Well being- If you are strong physically, you feel it, it will improve your self confidence, just don't turn into a egotistical jerk.

Satisfaction- I find it very satisfying that at 49 I can still lift relatively heavy weights and that most men at my age are working on their beer bellies not their deadlift form. (that may be a little bit of my egotistical jerk coming out).

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:54 am

These are mine:

- Your training is about you. It's not about other people, how they are doing, and how you compare. That's fun to do and motivational, but ultimately, it's about you and your goals, you and your progress.

- Training has to have an end or goal. Without a goal, even if it's just "kill an hour doing something that relieves a bit of stress," you can't measure your progress or decide what fits and what doesn't.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:57 am

caangelxox wrote:

Hijack. Make a new thread.

mastaoeks
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mastaoeks » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:29 am

another few things i learned

* leave your ego at the door
* do int/ext rotations
* lift safe or be sorry

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:50 am

-Don't be an idiot (personally I find this quite difficult at times)

-Get stronger (or progress in some kind of way)

-Consistency is probably the single most important factor in training.

-Try and do stuff you enjoy but at the same time, do what you need to do as well as what you want to do.

-If you strive to improve your movement, then you strive to improve your health. Even if you don't squat, you should still be able to. Good movement = happy joints. Unhappy joints = screwed up progress.

-Do more rows than pressing

-Train your glutes.

-Don't train overhead if you can't do wallslides.

-Eat real food and lots of it.

-If it hurts, don't do it (joint pain).

OK that's more than 3-5 but, I didn't really know where I was going with it so just starting typing things that I believe or I feel are important. That'll do for now. Good thread :grin:

KPj

frigginwizard

Post by frigginwizard » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:38 am

- Eat real food

- Lift heavy

- Keep lifting to free weight compound lifts

- Find some type of sport you enjoy so you can sneak in that nasty cardio stuff.

- Have attainable goals and a consistent way to measure your progress

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:47 am

i like this thread! Here's mine

- Isolation moves are highly individual. Some people can get good arm development from compound presses and rows, and some people can get decent overall shoulder development from military presses. These are the lucky ones. The unlucky ones (like me) NEED isolation moves to bring up key areas (my own theory is this is mainly long limbed, ectomorph types).

- posture is key! Do more rows than presses and stretch stretch stretch those hips

- bodybuilding (or body composition) is 90% diet

- size and strength are two VERY different things

- girls don't care how heavy you can bench press. Only guys do. Who're you trying to impress?

as you can tell i lift out of pure vanity...
Last edited by robertscott on Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.