Diet pills

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

A. moss
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:22 pm
Location: Columbus, IN

Diet pills

Post by A. moss » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:57 pm

My sister started taking fat loss pills. I don't know anything about them and she asked me for my advice and I told her I would look into them. she is 24 years old and about 165-170 and 5"7in. She's lost about 15 pounds sense, and she sed she was going to start taking "Zantrex 3" (witch she already bought) to jump start her progress. I was kind of against it but she was really excited and I didn't want to blow her high. She was making pretty good progress without it and I don't really think it will do much for her, because she has only been working out for about 3 weeks, and is making good progress still, so that's why I was against it. I need to know what I should look for, and stay away from, when it comes to FL pills. From what I see bellow it doesn't look that bad to me (Pretty much all natural ingredients) but what do I know.



Zantrex 3:

112 Capsules
Supplement Facts
Serving Size2Capsules
Servings Per Container56

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value‡

Niacin 30mg 150%

Zantrex®-3 A Proprietary Blend Containing: 1,230mg
Yerba Maté (Leaf) PE †
Trimethylxanthine (I.e., Caffeine) †
Guarana (Seed) SE †
Damiana (Leaf) PE †
Green Tea (Leaf) SE †
Kola Nut SE †
Schizonepeta (Spica) SE †
Piper Nigrum (Fruit) SE †
Tibetan Ginseng (Root) SE †
Panax Ginseng (Root) SE †
Maca Root PE †
Cocoa Nut SE †
Black Tea (Leaf) SE (Camellia Sinensis) †

‡ Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
† Daily Value not established

Other Ingredients May Include:
Rice Flour, Magnesium Stearate, Cellulose, Silicon Dioxide, FD&C Blue #1, Titanium Dioxide, Gelatin
Weight Contol Components:
Yerba Mate, Guarana And Damiana


Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja
Posts: 1124
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:36 am

Re: Diet pills

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:21 am

A. moss wrote:My sister started taking fat loss pills. I don't know anything about them and she asked me for my advice and I told her I would look into them. she is 24 years old and about 165-170 and 5"7in. She's lost about 15 pounds sense, and she sed she was going to start taking "Zantrex 3" (witch she already bought) to jump start her progress. I was kind of against it but she was really excited and I didn't want to blow her high. She was making pretty good progress without it and I don't really think it will do much for her, because she has only been working out for about 3 weeks, and is making good progress still, so that's why I was against it. I need to know what I should look for, and stay away from, when it comes to FL pills. From what I see bellow it doesn't look that bad to me (Pretty much all natural ingredients) but what do I know.

Zantrex 3:
A. Moss,

The Foundation of Fat Burning Pills

The foundation of ALL fat burning formula pills is caffeine. Approximately, 80% of the fat burning effect/results will come from CAFFEINE.

That means the other 20% will come from the other supplements added.

Cost

The cost of 100 caffeine tablets (200 mg) is about $10.

The cost of Zantrex 3 is OVER $30.

What That Means

That means you sister is paying 3 times as much for a product that MAY or MAY NOT deliver 20% more results.

That is a BAD investment.

Same Results With CAFFEINE

Your sister can get VIRTULLY the same results with Caffeine for a lot less.

Reason Why Supplement Companies Sell FAT BURNERS

To screw you out of your money!

They can't sell just caffeine and make much money. There next to no profit in caffeine.

They can't sell caffeine tablets for $30 when everyone else sells them for $10. So, they make a "Magic Potion".

By adding in some other cheap ingredients they increase their profit. Then they RENAME it...give it a cool name.

Then they Market it (lie to everyone). They market it as a revolutionary it is and how it will burn the fat off you.

I can't bash you sister too much because I am a memeber of the "Been Screwed Out Of My Money Club".

Have you sister pick up some caffeine tablets for $10 at any health food store...or she could just drink a cup of coffee a couple of times a day...minus cream and sugar...and get the same results.

Kenny Croxdale

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:46 pm

Post by frogbyte » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:05 am

If you're going to supplement, Omega-3 would probably be a better place to start.

A. moss
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:22 pm
Location: Columbus, IN

Re: Diet pills

Post by A. moss » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:27 am

Kenny Croxdale wrote:
A. moss wrote:My sister started taking fat loss pills. I don't know anything about them and she asked me for my advice and I told her I would look into them. she is 24 years old and about 165-170 and 5"7in. She's lost about 15 pounds sense, and she sed she was going to start taking "Zantrex 3" (witch she already bought) to jump start her progress. I was kind of against it but she was really excited and I didn't want to blow her high. She was making pretty good progress without it and I don't really think it will do much for her, because she has only been working out for about 3 weeks, and is making good progress still, so that's why I was against it. I need to know what I should look for, and stay away from, when it comes to FL pills. From what I see bellow it doesn't look that bad to me (Pretty much all natural ingredients) but what do I know.

Zantrex 3:

A. Moss,

The Foundation of Fat Burning Pills

The foundation of ALL fat burning formula pills is caffeine. Approximately, 80% of the fat burning effect/results will come from CAFFEINE.

That means the other 20% will come from the other supplements added.

Cost

The cost of 100 caffeine tablets (200 mg) is about $10.

The cost of Zantrex 3 is OVER $30.

What That Means

That means you sister is paying 3 times as much for a product that MAY or MAY NOT deliver 20% more results.

That is a BAD investment.

Same Results With CAFFEINE

Your sister can get VIRTULLY the same results with Caffeine for a lot less.

Reason Why Supplement Companies Sell FAT BURNERS

To screw you out of your money!

They can't sell just caffeine and make much money. There next to no profit in caffeine.

They can't sell caffeine tablets for $30 when everyone else sells them for $10. So, they make a "Magic Potion".

By adding in some other cheap ingredients they increase their profit. Then they RENAME it...give it a cool name.

Then they Market it (lie to everyone). They market it as a revolutionary it is and how it will burn the fat off you.

I can't bash you sister too much because I am a memeber of the "Been Screwed Out Of My Money Club".

Have you sister pick up some caffeine tablets for $10 at any health food store...or she could just drink a cup of coffee a couple of times a day...minus cream and sugar...and get the same results.

Kenny Croxdale
Okay, god I hate to have to tell her that, but I don't want her to keep wasting her money. Thank you for the information. I printed it off, and I'll give it to her. thanks again Kenny.

A. moss
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:22 pm
Location: Columbus, IN

Post by A. moss » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:22 pm

frogbyte wrote:If you're going to supplement, Omega-3 would probably be a better place to start.
I think they already take fish oil, but I'll tell just in case. thanks.


User avatar
Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3992
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:40 am

Post by Ironman » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:45 pm

Looking at the ingredient list, it at least isn't harmful. It's 100% placebo though.

A. moss
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:22 pm
Location: Columbus, IN

Post by A. moss » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:49 pm

Ironman wrote:Looking at the ingredient list, it at least isn't harmful. It's 100% placebo though.
That what I though aswell. 100% placebo?

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:46 pm

Post by frogbyte » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:31 pm

I thought there were good studies showing high enough doses of caffeine were a diuretic and a fat-burner?

User avatar
stuward
moderator
moderator
Posts: 6650
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Post by stuward » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:34 pm

frogbyte wrote:I thought there were good studies showing high enough doses of caffeine were a diuretic and a fat-burner?
I think he was talking about the non-caffeine ingredients, the part that is supposed to be worth 3 times the price of the caffeine.

User avatar
Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer
Posts: 2097
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:20 pm
Location: New York City

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:02 pm

Ephedra (ma huang ), stacked with caffeine and aspirin (white willow bark) was a clinically proven fat burning combo, but ma huang was banned after a number of people developed serious side effects. But there was a time that a number of people that I knew at the gym were on the stack. Most of them were satisfied with the results, even though it made them a little jumpy at times.

They didn't use ma huang just for fat burning, either - powder drinks containing it like Ultimate Orange were sold as a performance enhancer to be drunk prior to working out.

After ephedra was banned, supplement companies have tried to pair other compounds with caffeine for fat burning, with questionable results like Kenny noted.

User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Post by Jungledoc » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:36 pm

Just emphasize to your sister that it's her hard work that has allowed her to lose the weight so far, and that her hard work (along with some knowledge) is all she needs.

A. moss
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:22 pm
Location: Columbus, IN

Post by A. moss » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:49 pm

Jungledoc wrote:Just emphasize to your sister that it's her hard work that has allowed her to lose the weight so far, and that her hard work (along with some knowledge) is all she needs.
Thanks Andy, I will make sure to tell her that man.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member
Posts: 2004
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:40 am
Location: Texas

Post by hoosegow » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:16 am

I have ma huang and continue to use it occasionally, though not as often as I used to or want to.

I'd like to recommend ma haung to some of the women at the gym, but my wife doesn't seem to like the idea of me sharing ma huang with anyone. Actually, I don't think she is too keen on me using ma huang either. Everytime I pull out ma huang, she frowns.

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja
Posts: 1124
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:36 am

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:17 am

Stephen Johnson wrote:Ephedra (ma huang ), stacked with caffeine and aspirin (white willow bark) was a clinically proven fat burning combo, but ma huang was banned after a number of people developed serious side effects. But there was a time that a number of people that I knew at the gym were on the stack. Most of them were satisfied with the results, even though it made them a little jumpy at times.

They didn't use ma huang just for fat burning, either - powder drinks containing it like Ultimate Orange were sold as a performance enhancer to be drunk prior to working out.

After ephedra was banned, supplement companies have tried to pair other compounds with caffeine for fat burning, with questionable results like Kenny noted.
Stephen,

We addressed some of this on the Diet section of this board. http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7 ... c&start=15

Larry Hobbs, a researcher for bariatric physicians, one proclaimed the Ephedrine-Caffeine-Asprin/Willow Bark mix as the best over the counter/behind the counter weight loss formula he'd seen.

You can still purchased ephedrine (Primatine or Bonkaide). However, you are limited to the quanity you can purchase.

Kenny Croxdale

User avatar
stuward
moderator
moderator
Posts: 6650
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Post by stuward » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:00 am

Ephedrine is listed as a banned substance by both the International Olympic Committee and the World Anti-Doping Agency.

It's still included in cold and hay-fever medicine in Canada. Most Canadians remember when Silken Laumann lost her Pan-Am gold medal because of this.


Post Reply