deload needed when starting 5/3/1

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:16 am

KPj - i can see backing off a bit when you're feeling banged up, but I just don't think that's been happening to me every 4th week... I'll try it anyway and see, if I feel a difference then I'll keep it.

Peter - I'm not really sure what you meant by that, could please explain?

And as for YOU Jungledoc, your wizardly intimidation tactics don't work on me!

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:14 am

robertscott wrote:And as for YOU Jungledoc, your wizardly intimidation tactics don't work on me!
Oh, well. I was just looking for an excuse to visit Scotland!

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:08 am

robertscott wrote:Peter - I'm not really sure what you meant by that, could please explain?
I'm just saying work backwards from your target. If your goal is 2+ reps at 2xbodyweight, base your cycles on that, so you end up doing 2xbodyweight on your 1+ day right before your goal date. It'll take a little more work than otherwise though.

So if 160kg is your goal, you want a training max on the last cycle of 170kg. Then count back cycles from there, dropping 2.5 to 5kg per cycle, and find out where you need to start. I'm just saying start at the destination and work backwards.

But deload in there! If you set backwards from your goal and it's a bit ambitious, you'll already be rushing a little. Don't also drop the weeks in which you get to recover from all that work.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:48 pm

Jungledoc wrote:
robertscott wrote:And as for YOU Jungledoc, your wizardly intimidation tactics don't work on me!
Oh, well. I was just looking for an excuse to visit Scotland!
I wouldn't bother mate, it sucks

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:49 pm

pdellorto wrote:
robertscott wrote:Peter - I'm not really sure what you meant by that, could please explain?
I'm just saying work backwards from your target. If your goal is 2+ reps at 2xbodyweight, base your cycles on that, so you end up doing 2xbodyweight on your 1+ day right before your goal date. It'll take a little more work than otherwise though.

So if 160kg is your goal, you want a training max on the last cycle of 170kg. Then count back cycles from there, dropping 2.5 to 5kg per cycle, and find out where you need to start. I'm just saying start at the destination and work backwards.

But deload in there! If you set backwards from your goal and it's a bit ambitious, you'll already be rushing a little. Don't also drop the weeks in which you get to recover from all that work.
oh right ok I get you, that's a good idea

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:05 pm

Would you still recommend a deload, even if someone (ie, me) was still gaining ~2 reps per set every series in the gym without a deload?

Jason Nunn
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Jason Nunn » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:25 pm

frogbyte wrote:Would you still recommend a deload, even if someone (ie, me) was still gaining ~2 reps per set every series in the gym without a deload?
I would. For me, it's just as much of a mental thing as a physical.

KPj

Post by KPj » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:20 am

I would, too. Just simply because Wendler says so. He wrote the program, afterall, and didn't write anywhere in the book "if you are a beginner then don't deload"..... :wink:

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:07 am

frogbyte wrote:Would you still recommend a deload, even if someone (ie, me) was still gaining ~2 reps per set every series in the gym without a deload?
that's exactly the situation I'm in, however I shall bow to the more experienced lifters on this one