Thinking about getting my shoulder operated on

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Thinking about getting my shoulder operated on

Post by ApolytonGP » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:44 pm

Had a dislocation of right shoulder. Was repaired, but never really felt like it was fixed. HAve done all kinds of PT (years of it). And even lost weight and tried to work around and build muscles and all. I kind of alternate between thinking I'm too high maintenance and then not pushy enough. :(

Have seen three docs. Just got back from South Carolina visiting the guro of shoulder surgery. He does a lot of serious pro athletes and resurgeries. Felt like he did the most exacting physical exam (most numbers, most tests, most comparison of shoulders). the other tow guys were good though, had shoulder fellowships and all.

I have very loose shoulders. I know that. I am very flexible all over my body. Just my physique and able to be good in wrestling and gymnastics because of it. Used to be able to dislocate on rings with almost no separation (was a lousy gymnast compared to college level guys I worked out with, but my flexibility was probably top quartile even in that group of high flexibility types). It's basically a known aspect of gymnasts and swimmers that they have this shoulder flexibility (either self-selection or development). Probably genetic in my case, although with stretching, I notice increases rapidly. The weird thing is the left (unaffected) shoulder is much looser than the right but has no issues with bench press, handstands or pullups. On the other hand the right one is tighter but has issues with all of the above.

It's not a no-brainer in terms of the exam or the MRI. Basically all three docs say go in and do an inspection in surgery. Fix whatever is wrong. If there is something obvious like the anterior labrum re-detached, then that would be like an aha. Otheriwse, the last guy wants to fix the posterior (was known torn, but not fixed in first surgery)...other two think not needed. Also last two have talked about cutting a bicep tendon head...last one discussed not reattaching, although I could have option to just move it out of the joint.

At least one cheering thing is that my weight loss and strength gain has totally changed how I get treated by the doctors. They are much more serious about restoring athletic function when I look like an athlete. Actually had lost one say I was in impressive condition for a 44 year old. I know I'm not as big as you guys, but dropping the 70 pounds made a dramatic difference. And the 50% strength gain (even from a low base) has made a difference. Even if it didn't allow me to fix the mechanical issues in my shoulder, maybe getting healthier and stronger allowed me to progress to medicine geared for athletes.

gonna suck to be in that sling. At least I'm a better medical patient than last surgery I had. No booze (last time I was drinking 3 a night) and bp has dropped form 140/100 to 100/60. And pulse down from 100 to 60 also.

I guess I'm young enough to justify the surgery. And even if it doesn't work, worth rolling the dice. Just want to do a little more study first.

Kinda babbling...helps me though.

P.s. I haven't done a pullup since 2002 (dislocation) and my marathoner, USMC PT looked at me like an alien when I told him that. Would be awesome if I could get that back. I don't need to throw a baseball. Just want to be able to lift hard and swim crawlstroke full speed (like paddle hard when surfing).

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:51 pm

working my way through the comments in this thread and it is bumming the hell out of me.

http://orthopedics.about.com/b/2006/03/ ... notomy.htm

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:04 pm

Face it you're high maintenance. :lol:

You're going to get yourself all anxious is you read too much about it. You'll be second guessing everything. Just do what feels right in your gut and go for it. You are young and this may make a big difference to your guality of life.