Curious about circuit training

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

Haffy13
Novice
Novice

Curious about circuit training

Post by Haffy13 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:56 pm

So, this is an area where I have little knowledge, but am curious about incorporating it into my routine, but not at the cost of strength gains. Is it possible to do traditional weight lifting one day and then circuit training the next day, using the same groups of muscles and so on? or is that too much work?

Let me know if I'm not being specific enough, I don't know that much about circuit training other than the idea of it being focused on muscular endurance and cardiovascular fitness.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:41 am

Circuits are a great conditioning tool, and can be used as an aid to diet for fat loss, but aren't that great for overal size and strength. So, the question becomes how to incorporate them. I would use them for a light session, and would NOT do them the next day after a heavy session, especially if they are incorporating the same movements you worked hardFor instance, Full body heavy/med, rest, circuits or complexes, rest, full body heavy/med.
Tim

Haffy13
Novice
Novice

Post by Haffy13 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:09 pm

Thanks Tim, that's what I wanted to know

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:31 pm

In my opinion, circuit training is best done in its own week, like dont try to do circuit training in a week where you lifted heavy and such. Circuit training is a serious workout and should only be done up to 3 days a week because it needs a very big recovery time. The best routines for circuit training are ones that keep your body guessing, and if you dont want to keep time, you can do reps so here is an example of a circuit training routine my coach did and it greatly helped with all around conditioning and sport specific strength.
Day 1 (could be monday)
Squats - 20 reps or 1 minute
Bench - 20 reps or 1 minute
Bar Curl- Same
Dead Lift - Same
Military Press - Same
Rows (barbell or dumbell- same
(repeat 3 times)

Then rest 2 to 3 days then do

Power cleans - 10 reps or 30 seconds (this is shorter because as people try to keep going on power cleans, most of the time the form starts to go bad and injuries happen but if you can keep form then do a minute)

incline bench - 20 reps or 1 minute
Chin ups - max
Clean and press - 1 minute or 20 reps
Dumbell Curl - same
(repeat 3 times)

3rd day of circuit training

Decline Press - 20 reps or 1 minute
Lat pull down- 20 reps or 1 minute
Jump squats- 20 reps to 1 minute
Leg Extension-same
Leg Curl-same
(repeat 3 times)

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:44 pm

Why don't you try some circuit training for a month and then go back and test your 1RMs. If you regressed a lot, then it was a bad idea. If you stayed the same, but got fitter, kudos. If you got stronger AND got fitter than nothing to worry about.

I like to alternate muscle groups. Keeps the cardio up, but allows some rest for the targeted muscle.

E.g.
10 curls
10 dips
10 curls
10dips
10 rows
10 chest press

Etc.

Obviously, it is tough on the wind and the will and takes some getting used to...but that's part of the point of cardio fitness. Getting used to working through fatigue.

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:12 pm

taht is a good circuit apo but the thing is you need to do more reps to get to the cardio factor and u need to add leg work in there

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:59 pm

You can look at the sticky, "BB/DB/KB complexes as a tool in conditioning and fat loss". It has more circuits than you can do in a lifetime.