Which of these 2 splits do you think is better?....

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

rejones1976
n00b
n00b

Which of these 2 splits do you think is better?....

Post by rejones1976 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:06 am

Split 1
Chest & Tris
Back & Bis
REST
REST
Shoulders & Traps
Legs
REST
REPEAT

Split 2
Push
Pull
Legs
REST
Push
Pull
REST
REPEAT

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:24 am

the answer to your question will be goal dependent.

Other relevant info will be training age.

And depending on the answer to the second issue, more questions will arise.

So in short, based on the information given, the question can't be answered.

rejones1976
n00b
n00b

Post by rejones1976 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:09 am

My main goal is to add some muscle mass and get stronger. I've been training for just over a year.

I was also thinking of doing 2/3 30 mins cardio sessions a week.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: Which of these 2 splits do you think is better?....

Post by Stephen Johnson » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:16 am

rejones1976 wrote:Split 1
Chest & Tris
Back & Bis
REST
REST
Shoulders & Traps
Legs
REST
REPEAT

Split 2
Push
Pull
Legs
REST
Push
Pull
REST
REPEAT
In both routines, only one out of every four or five workouts target the legs and hips. Yet the legs and hips contain half of the muscle in a person's body. Avoidance of heavy grunt exercises like squats and deadlifts seems to be the main motivation behind convoluted split routines.

Neither routine cuts it in my book. Split 1 in particular looks like a bodybuilder split for an advanced lifter trying to refine his existing mass. Beginning and intermediate lifters don't have enough mass to refine.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:36 am

There's not that much difference in them, really. Split 2 has an extra pull.

Split one is really just,

Push
Pull
Rest
Rest
Push (i'm guessing "traps" means "shrugs" so not really enough to warrant a "push/pull" label).
Legs

Split 2,

Push
Pull
Legs
REST
Push
Pull
REST

Not really all that different, based on the info provided. So, yeah, more info needed....

KPj

A. moss
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by A. moss » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:17 pm

If you can make it though the first 4 weeks or so of legs, Its actually REALLY fun. One of my favorite exercises is squats now. I hated them about 2 months ago, until I came here.

I'd add another leg day. With split 2 you could take one push and one pull out and add a leg.

Maybe
Push/Chest and Tri's
Legs
Rest
Pull/Back and BI's
Legs
Rest.

Make sure you have good form on them though. And ask somebody if you need to. The worst thing ever is getting your squat up to a good weight and realizing you have bad form. then you have to drop a $h1t load of weight to correct it.

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:21 pm

To anyone who doesn't like doing squats: Every single person in the gym will be impressed by you squatting 405+ lbs moreso than you benching 315. Trust me, I've done both - and I get more stares when I'm repping out 405.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:46 am

Split 2 is better. If you are hitting stuff hard enough to do it once a week, you are not going to be able to work the muscle again after just a couple days of rest. It's one of those cliche bodybuilding splits that I really don't like. There are plenty of other ways to divide it up that are better.

rejones1976
n00b
n00b

Post by rejones1976 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:47 am

Thanks Ironman, what split would you advise for a 12 month newbie? I'm want to spend at least 4 days a week resistance training.

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:01 am

In my opinion, the best 4 day split for a 12 month newb is:

Monday: Legs (knee dominant)
Tuesday: Push/Pull (Horizontal)
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: Legs (Hip Dominant)
Friday: Push/Pull (Vertical)

Some may have an issue doing overhead pressing the day after deadlifting so swapping those is an option.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:37 pm

I think upper/lower is possibly the best way at 12 months. Stu's would be the best if you are only going to hit everything once. I think you need to do everything twice though. If you do twice a week you will do less sets each time. You may also want to do heavier with low reps the first half of the week and lighter with more reps the 2nd half.

Alternatively I think horizontal push/pull plus quad and calves on day 1 and 4, then vertical push/pull plus hip/ham dominant and a little upper body isolation on day 2 and 5, is a very good way to go too.

push and quads/pull and hams twice a week is also very good.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:18 pm

stuward wrote:
Some may have an issue doing overhead pressing the day after deadlifting so swapping those is an option.
Because of the traps overlapping?

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:55 pm

nygmen wrote:Because of the traps overlapping?
Pushing stuff overhead after I do any heavy deads is hard for me, because my lats in specific and upper back in general are totally smoked. Especially when I was doing 5/3/1 and did (lighter) 5 x 10 deadlifts after my 5+, 3+, or 1+ lifts. It was hard enough convincing my body to reach the upper shelf nevermind push weights up.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:48 pm

But wouldn't that mean it's good to do press the day after deadlifts then? My split is exactly like stuwards, and yea my traps always feel burned out after press day, but that means my traps are fresh again on deadlift day, cause they've had 4 days rest in between...

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:27 pm

frogbyte wrote:But wouldn't that mean it's good to do press the day after deadlifts then? My split is exactly like stuwards, and yea my traps always feel burned out after press day, but that means my traps are fresh again on deadlift day, cause they've had 4 days rest in between...
It can depend on your goals, but yea, most of the time that's what you want to do.