Walking

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Walking

Post by hoosegow » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:45 am

Sorry, this is just another one of my contemplations. I am considering trying to go for a walk every day. I was thinking about people I know/knew who have had long, high-quality, lives. The common denominator with it seems like all of them is that they go for a walk every day.

I know there are better ways to reach certain fitness goals - losing weight, muscle gain, etc. I think a lot of us (men mostly) don't consider walking since it isn't a macho thing to do. It just seems to me (once again purely anecdotal) that it might be one of the best and easiest things you could do to increase your life span and quality of life.

I was curious as to how many of yall (especially the more mature bunch) go for a walk every day.

I don't think it would interfere with my weight training since you are doing anything really strenuous. For example, I could walk in the morning and sqaut in the evening. I don't think the 20-30 minte walk would deplete me to the point where it would interfere with my squats.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:11 pm

A few thoughts:

I think the purpose of "going for a walk" is not so much "fitness" in the muscular and cardiovascular sense. I think it is an opportunity for relaxation, contemplation and stress relief. For a person who exercises at other times, I don't think that the speed/vigor of the walk would be all that important. I think that the company on the walk is important. Although a walk alone is more opportunity to meditate, etc., a walk with a wife or a child or a good friend is also good. "Going for a walk" has a purpose beyond just the walking involved.

I walk quite a bit every day. From the time I leave for work in the morning I'm on my feet most of the time. I sit on a stool for 30 seconds to 3 minutes off and on through day, but then it's right back on my feet. But I don't often "go for a walk". I think I should.

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:44 pm

Where I live now, everything is so close I walk where ever I need to go to. Its only been like almost a week but it feels so much better than lying around all day. Which is what I'm doing now as I type this hehe.

You could also take your dog for a walk, if you have one.

A. moss
Associate Member
Associate Member

Re: Walking

Post by A. moss » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:16 pm

hoosegow wrote:I know there are better ways to reach certain fitness goals - losing weight, muscle gain, etc. I think a lot of us (men mostly) don't consider walking since it isn't a macho thing to do. It just seems to me (once again purely anecdotal) that it might be one of the best and easiest things you could do to increase your life span and quality of life.

I was curious as to how many of yall (especially the more mature bunch) go for a walk every day.

I don't think that walking is a feminine thing to do at all. I walk every day for a month sometimes and enjoy it thoroughly.

I'm not "The mature bunch" in weight lifting, but I walk a lot. As I sed before I walk everyday for a month sometimes and then take a week off and I'm back at it again.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:53 pm

I walk my pup every morning, fasted. A nice brisk 1.5 miles in 25-30 mins. I can get a good sweat going if I have a hoodie on.

It has helped me lean out. It isn't lypo or anything, but I certainly leaned out. When I upped cals again I had to add more to gain.

It helps with appetite if your are trying to gain.

I love my dog.

I am newly old @ 30

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: Walking

Post by Stephen Johnson » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:10 pm

hoosegow wrote:I was curious as to how many of yall (especially the more mature bunch) go for a walk every day.
As a 57-year old, I resemble that remark! :wink:

I usually take a 20-40 minute constitutional in the morning before breakfast on workdays. Usually, the time is spent thinking about the day's tasks and how to handle them. On weekends, I'll take social walks of the type that Doc mentioned in his posting above.

Several weekends ago, I saw a couple of racewalkers in a neighborhood park. They looked jerky in their movements, but they were walking faster than I used to jog. Brisk walking can be used as a form of cardio, without the pounding downside of running. It's not just for wimps.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:02 am

i don't think it's so much the walk itself, I think someone who would go for a walk is more likely to make healthy choices in other aspects of their life

Haffy13
Novice
Novice

Post by Haffy13 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:48 pm

When I moved into my new place a few weeks ago I wanted to do a walking meditation every morning when I got up. Well, I did it a few times, but it's really damn cold in the morning now, and I had been sleeping later and later for a bit so I stopped. However, I started volunteering at the animal shelter near where I live and walk their dogs for them. I really enjoy it and it's a great way to get a walk in.

robt-aus

Post by robt-aus » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:00 pm

i'm youngish.

i try and walk daily, usually at random intervals during the working day when the computer gets a bit dull. on the weekend i spend a lot of good time walking with my wife, which is excellent.

that, and after mealtimes. this is something i saw when i went on my first holiday in italy - it's a common social ritual for everyone to get out of the house after eating and just walk around. it was kind of the opposite interpretation to the one you mention - there was something out of the norm about you if you weren't out and about walking.

i like to do it - gets fresh air and moving's great.
Last edited by robt-aus on Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:46 pm

Walks RULE.

bike rides outdoors too.

And it is a lot for zen psyche.

EVen better if you do it with a pretty girl.

callipygian50
Novice
Novice

Post by callipygian50 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:18 am

A. moss wrote:I don't think that walking is a feminine thing to do at all. I walk every day for a month sometimes and enjoy it thoroughly.
Walking itself is not feminine. But as an exercise, it's feminine in the sense that many women and fewer men chose walking outdoors or on the treadmill as their main form of exercise. I can see this by looking out my window or seeing who is walking on treadmills at the gym.

NIA, Zumba and various group classes are feminine in the same sense. In contrast, the free weight side of the gym is masculine in the sense that it is more heavily used by men than women. ( A fellow woman at the gym once quipped, "Time to go to the 'guy' side!")
ApolytonGP wrote:EVen better if you do it with a pretty girl.
That must be why so many of the women walkers walk in groups? The ones I see are usually all female. I used to walk in one; there was lots of "girl talk". :)

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:31 pm

Calli, I guess thats what I meant.

Thanks for all the walk stuff information, but honestly I don't care about the norm or the zen stuff. What I am primarily interested in is the correlation I see between walking, longevity and quality of life.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:36 pm

Go for a walk hoose. It won't kill you and it can't hurt. :wink:

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:42 pm

pdellorto wrote:Go for a walk hoose. It won't kill you and it can't hurt. :wink:
Actually it can do both of those things, he could slip and fall or a maniac (pete) driving a car could hit him. (Knock on wood) Just sayin tis all.

lol kind of ironic if you think about it. But don't think about it.
Last edited by Jebus on Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:46 pm

Why must you always dump on and expose my plans to run over hoosegow?