Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:40 pm

haha yeah fair enough there is one more actually

...playing guitar. I dunno what YOU were thinking

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:49 am

bumped because I learned something today that might be relevant.

Excitation-Transfer Theory

Basically, physiological arousal is pretty much the same regardless if you get it from lifting weights, or punching someone in the face. What can happen is arousal from one situation can spill over into another situation. So, if you're physiologically aroused in the weightroom, then on your drive home some @$$h0l3 cuts you off, because you're already physiologically aroused from your workout, you're more likely to act aggressively. Interesting stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excitation-transfer_theory

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:08 am

*except after a really heavy DL session.... I'm probably at my most vulnerable here. An 8 year old girl could probably beat the crap out of me :lol:

TeeBee
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by TeeBee » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:52 pm

At age 50, the gym is the only place in the world where I feel calm. Lifting is life; the rest is just recuperation! So what do I do when I'm not lifting weights? I think about lifting weights. I mean, do I look like a person who wastes time worrying about politics?

Good. I didn't think so.

I'm trying to flash back to high school (all those Universal Gym workouts!) to remember how I felt after lifting. Exhausted. No one told us--hey, it was the early 1970s, no one knew anything--to rest a body part after it has been worked out. By Friday I had trouble lifting a fork to my mouth. I remember being sore; these days it takes a miracle (or a good workout after a layoff) to get sore. Man, the first time you saw the fruit of your labor (i.e., big biceps), that was thrilling. And lifting weights in those days was still looked upon as being weird. I didn't tell anyone I was doing it.

I don't think I answered your question about the aggression. Are you just confusing it with exuberance? (Granted, the kind of exuberance only athletes feel.)