Texas Method and 5/3/1

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:15 am

hoosegow wrote:Robert,
Stop sweating the details and just lift. It doesn't really matter what program you use. You'll get bigger and stronger with almost all of them. I doubt (with very few exceptions) that anyone on this board would see significantly greater gains with A program over B program.

Focus on compound lifts and find/develope a program that you enjoy.
And yea I know I just have a horrible tendency to number crunch, work and games I play theres always an optimal method that's just a matter of digging for, but this doesn't really happen with lifting, which makes me frustrated - starting strength/strong lifts 5x5 were a god send for me, I finally saw a "Do this, this often, at these weights" - jackpot, theres me sorted for 6-9 months, hit the end of it and I'm back to my old self "2x3 or 3x3" :)

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:22 am

Robert, I know what you mean that 2 months doesn't sound like long enough to bother with. If I were going to do TM (or any other program), I'd probably commit to it for a few months. I say that rather hypocritically, having recently changed programs for 1 month, and changed back to 5/3/1. Interestingly, when I changed back I found some unexpected gains in a couple of lifts, so it wasn't a waste of time. In fact, I'll probably break out of 5/3/1 a couple of times a year in the future to do some different format, probably not exactly what I did recently.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:32 am

i think 2 months is loads of time to do a program. John Romaniello's Bodycomp Blitz program is only 6 weeks long.

GTO
Novice
Novice

Post by GTO » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:57 pm

Robert B- I said 1-2 Months because I've looked into it and even did a spread sheet to see what it would look like. To me it looked like a pretty intense workout with large gains and I'm a middle aged man, I don't think I could make gains on it for more than that length of time, if that. Rippetoe had a pretty good write up on it in Practical programing, if you want, I'll go back and read it and send you a summary of it, it has advice on what to do when you stall ect. I settled on the 5/3/1 which I really like, but if I had to do it again and knew what I know now, I would have done starting strength to start with, and then the Texas Method after I progressed to the intermediate level, but I think I would have burned out on it fairly fast, even when I was young. I think the advice you got here was pretty good, as long as your progressing, stick with it. The 1-2 months was more of a introspective view about my capabilities and I apologize, I didn't mean to imply that you should stop after a certain amount of time and I'm certainly not qualified to tell you do this or that, at this weight for this amount of time, I was just throwing out my opinion. All that said, it seems like a very good workout for a guy like you who is progressing into the intermediate level.

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:50 am

No thats fine GTO, I've bought/read practical programming and I'll be repeating the intermediate section a few times - as said it was more a question spurred by curiousity rather than disagreeing with short term programs, while I'm still learning/in the relative newbie zone this transition seems very important and involves a lot more understanding of adaption/stress/recovery than the silver bullet of SS/SL 5x5 - so when I see my SL 5x5 being useful for 6-9 months, seing 4-8 week programs comes as a bit of a suprise.

But Pdellorto made a fair point, if a program adds 5-10lbs a week but lasts 2/8 weeks then it's still good news :) im sure your brain will ache from compiling notes but essentially yea, its about the gains, about the line going up...

So yea, since I already have my texas-esque program layed out then that's what I will be going for until I get a hard stall I think, while I get my head around a typical 5/3/1 at least.

GTO
Novice
Novice

Post by GTO » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:33 pm

Hey Robert, I'm pretty sure I was the one who recommended practical programming to you, I hope that you've found it worth the money, it explained a lot to me.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:52 am

That low volume and singles sounds brutal for recovery - if I did that for more than a few weeks I suspect I'd be the walking wounded.