Squat without getting big legs?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:26 pm

Immortal wrote:I still have yet to understand that... how can getting stronger not result in muscle mass?? Like if you can squat 500 pounds, how do you not have more muscle then someone who cant but does more reps?
To a point it's possible to get stronger without building muscle. Strength comes from neural improvements as well as muscle fibre size increase. Much of beginner gains comes from this. There is more to muscle than fibre but that's where the strength is. Most of the physical size of a muscle comes from the fluid in the muscle which doesn't add to the strength. This is why body builders train high volume, to build up size. So in the long run, increased strength and increased muscle fibre go together, but muscle size and strength don't have to go together. In addition, since muscle is more dense than fat, stronger people are often smaller in girth than weak people.

btw, in my opinion, if someone has big legs but is weak, he probably has too much fat and not enough muscle. No one has too much muscle but is also weak. That just doesn't happen.
Last edited by stuward on Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:29 pm

Immortal wrote:I still have yet to understand that... how can getting stronger not result in muscle mass?? Like if you can squat 500 pounds, how do you not have more muscle then someone who cant but does more reps?
The most common way is motor unit recruitment. As you train, you gain the ability to activate more muscle fibers at a time, which gives you stronger muscle contractions.

But gaining strength generally involves some degree of hypertrophy, and vice versa. It's a matter of emphasis. Remember the old line about a body builder is a guy who looks stronger than he is, and a power lifter is a guy who is stronger than he looks. It's sort of true.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:08 pm

getting stronger does result in gaining muscle mass, but not as much as if you train specifically FOR muscle mass.

If you train heavy at low reps your nervous system gets better at recruiting all your msucle fibres, so you get stronger without necessarilly getting bigger (although you most likely will get a bit bigger).

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:09 pm

whoops didn't realise the Doc and Stu had both already answered that.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:28 pm

Great minds....

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:16 pm

can females legs get big? I feel like mine is getting bigger....same with my butt and also lower legs (calves). Is that what supposed to happen? I also have fastpitch softball practice tuesday thursdays and also slowpitch games for an hour tuesday and thursday night. I also do a lot of sprinting. and when I lift weights is usually tuesday and thursday in the morning. I do a lot of glute bridges and such. I also eat a lot of carbs too, which is suppose to help with gaining muscle and energy for working out.

one question I have is should I run more than just tuesday and thursday, lift weights more, and such..to get lean and get a firmer butt? I actually want my butt to get smaller, not bigger or wider. I thought females dont bulk like guys do

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:21 am

There's no such thing as too big or too wide. Do we need to get Sir Mix A Lot in here?

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:55 am

frogbyte wrote:There's no such thing as too big or too wide. Do we need to get Sir Mix A Lot in here?
SquatRx will have to do in the meantime:

http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2010/11/my- ... ction.html

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:27 pm

"can females legs get big? I feel like mine is getting bigger....same with my butt and also lower legs (calves). Is that what supposed to happen? I also have fastpitch softball practice tuesday thursdays and also slowpitch games for an hour tuesday and thursday night. I also do a lot of sprinting. and when I lift weights is usually tuesday and thursday in the morning. I do a lot of glute bridges and such. I also eat a lot of carbs too, which is suppose to help with gaining muscle and energy for working out.

one question I have is should I run more than just tuesday and thursday, lift weights more, and such..to get lean and get a firmer butt? I actually want my butt to get smaller, not bigger or wider. I thought females dont bulk like guys do" - caangelxox

Yes weight training will make your muscles bigger. However, women gain muscle mass more slowly than men. Likewise, you won't keep gaining at the same rate indefinately. You'll eventually reach a point of diminishing returns, where your gains slow down dramatically.

How muscular is too muscular? That's really a matter of personal opinion. In general I've noticed that fit, athletic, muscular guys like fit, althletic, relatively muscular women, while pencil-necked weenies tend to find the same women somewhat threatening. Either way, the only opinion that really matters is yours.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:41 pm

If you look at the more muscular female Olympic athletes (100m sprinters for example), that should give you a fair idea of how muscular a woman can get naturally, without training solely for hypertrophy.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:53 pm

PS) Women with VERY low bodyfat levels may look overly "muscular" when they're really just sharp, angular and cut (Madonna), while women with slightly higher bodyfat levels may actually have more muscle mass but still look very feminine (Jessica Beil).

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:20 pm

Hehe I saw that a while back, was applauding until I learned that sadly it's a fake: http://www.theatlanticwire.com/opinions ... paign-4572 - although bizarrely it uses text from an almost identical Nike campaign from 2005.

I suspect somewhere around less than 15% body fat, women start to look weird. Not surprisingly, fertility takes a hit soon too.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:31 pm

It doesn't matter if it's a real ad or not. It's thread appropriate I think.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:48 pm

It's funny (actually sad) how many women beat themselves up because they don't have the waifish fashion model look - even though most men don't find the waif look attractive. Only a dog wants a bone.

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:32 pm

Yea, I told this girl that shes got a great ass, and she had no idea. She was so happy. But now adays it seems like bigger is better, with Kim Kardashian and all those other ghetto booty girls.