deli roast beef question

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Immortal

deli roast beef question

Post by Immortal » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:04 am

is deli roast beef a good way to get protein? does it have good protein? and what are its mineral contents such as iron and zinc, is it a good source for them? I just ate like 14 slices haha and would want to know if this is a good way to finish up my protein for the day or do i need more

jml
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jml » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:18 am

bam

Post by bam » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:55 am

you can also just checkout Wikipedia too. There';s usually a nutrition label for food.

For more indepth nutritional info try:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/mynd/mytr ... mytracking
In addition to searching their database, you can create an account and list all the foods you eat in a day, for example. The nutritional breakdown is tremendous. You can tweak it and add your own foods -- protein shakes or supplements for instance. Even lists junk food, processed food, and fast food.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: deli roast beef question

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:11 pm

Immortal wrote:is deli roast beef a good way to get protein? does it have good protein? and what are its mineral contents such as iron and zinc, is it a good source for them?
It's OK - roast beef is, after all, beef. The typical 2-oz serving of roast beef has about 15g of protein as well as most of the same mineral value as fresh beef.

The problem with deli meats is with the preservatives and by products that are added to them. Eating a steak sandwich makes more sense if you want to add beef to your diet. Deli meats in general are better used as treats rather than staples in your diet.

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:50 pm

ehhh but whats the difference between fresh and preserved really? its still the same right?

stuward

Post by stuward » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:54 pm

Not really, that was Stephen's point. Fresh meat is just meat. preserved has preservatives and curing agents of dubious value. Chief among them is Sodium Nitrate which may be unhealthy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_nitrate

Deli sliced beef is still better than other processed meats such as hot dogs, salami, etc. these have any number of byproducts, most of which you wouldn't eat if you knew what they were.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:18 pm

Stu and Stephen make a good point. Also, why pay the exhorbitant amount per lb they want for Deli Roast Beef. Just get your self from top round, prepare it corectly and cook it right, to med rare or so, let it cool down, and slice thinly, and you have unpreserved good stuff, at half the price. Prep aration; get a good size top round roast, at least an inch thick. 1 hour before cooking, salt liberally on both sides, wrap in plastic wrap, and enclose in a tightly sealed ziploc baggie. Place in very hot tap water for an hour. Unwrap, rub olive oil and pepper (or other desired spices) and you're ready to cook. Sear for 2 mins per side, going for a crust over high heat, broiler works fine, then finnish it in a 350 oven until meat thermometer registers around 140. Wrap loosely in foil and let rest for at least 10 mins, then you have a good sliceable roast.
Tim

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:30 pm

You could also learn to smoke your meats.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:40 pm

Tim, you can cook at my house any time!

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:30 pm

TimD wrote:Stu and Stephen make a good point. Also, why pay the exhorbitant amount per lb they want for Deli Roast Beef.
You make a better point - it's silly to spend an arm and a leg for something that you can make for yourself so easily and much cheaper than store bought. Plus, there's the added benefit of knowing what you're eating.

You won't drop dead if you eat deli meat every now and then - at least I hope not:

Not so long ago, I ate a Reuben sandwich that had piles of corned beef on it. I loved every bite, but I can't eat that stuff every day. Darn! :sad:

frigginwizard

Post by frigginwizard » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:00 am

stuward wrote: Deli sliced beef is still better than other processed meats such as hot dogs, salami, etc. these have any number of byproducts, most of which you wouldn't eat if you knew what they were.
I dont think there is anything you could tell me to make me stop eating hot dogs. I dont know if its the taste, or the shape, but I love hot dogs.

TimD

Post by TimD » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:08 am

As to the hot dogs, you're right. I know they're not all that great for you, and have seen them made, but it still doesn't stop me from loving them, especially the full fat tasty ones, like Hebrew National and others that have all that good tasy fat in them, I just limit it to not often.
Tim

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:52 am

There may be some higher quality ones that might be OK for occational consumption. A couple of guys I lived with while in university worked at the local meat packers. They didn't go into graphic details but I learned enough to lose any appetite for hot dogs. I can pretend that sausages and hamburgers are perfectly good though.

TimD

Post by TimD » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:06 pm

Hamburgers perfectly fine. I usually buy up chuck roast (80/20) on sale (can get them on sale much cheaper than store packaged ground beef) in bulk quantities, grind up a couple of lbs of it, store the rest in the freezer. Yeah, I'm a cheap skate.
Tim

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:00 pm

frigginwizard wrote:
stuward wrote: Deli sliced beef is still better than other processed meats such as hot dogs, salami, etc. these have any number of byproducts, most of which you wouldn't eat if you knew what they were.
I dont think there is anything you could tell me to make me stop eating hot dogs. I dont know if its the taste, or the shape, but I love hot dogs.

ummm, the shape lmfao??????????????????????????? why the shape????