Am I turning into a wuss?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

Rucifer

Am I turning into a wuss?

Post by Rucifer » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:45 pm

Ok...so the last say I dunno...two or three years...I've had a problem with intense training. And by intense training, I mean mostly strength training, sprints, HIIT, etc. Everytime I start to do intense training like this, I get sick/fatigued and just generally feel crappy all the time, sort of like I am overtrained. The problem is, I shouldn't be, cause I keep giving myself weeks/months before I decide to give it another go and I always end up feeling the same way. I am only 27, so hearing the old adage "you're getting older" is growing tiresome. And the other thing is, its only "intense" training. Bodyweight exercises, or when I helped my dad move stuff for a couple of days, hiking, biking, etc doesn't seem to cause this. I really have no explanation for it, which is why I am here.

There are only a couple of hypotheses that I have at the moment.

1) In my late teens/early twenties, I trained so intensely and wrongly that I have permanently (or at least for a long time) messed up my body's ability to handle the stress that comes with an intense workout (also combined with life stresses as well). And by intense, I mean 4 or 5 intense weightlifting sessions each week (no light days, I was an idiot thinking every workout needed to be intense) and also intense cardio almost everyday. No matter how sore my body was, I kept pushing through. Thing was, I wasn't quite as fatigued as I am when I try to do it now.

2) Up above combined with some sort of mineral or vitamin or food deficiency (even tho I eat a fairly decent diet. Not perfect but I don't think anything should really be lacking. Lots of meat and fruits/veggies).

I probably would go to the doctor, except I really wouldn't know what to say, especially with telling him that when I stop exercising intensely, I don't feel as bad. Just wondering what you guys think! And before you make fun of the post, I realize re-reading it I used the word intense about 50 times :wink:

stuward

Re: Am I turning into a wuss?

Post by stuward » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:57 pm

Why don't you do something moderate, but progressively more challenging, rather than just jump right in on it. Try 5,3,1 starting 10% below your max with some lighter weight volume sets at the end. Then add a small amount each month and see what happens.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:06 pm

Low T?

I don't know what the names of the tests are, but you can ask to have them done. And if you're lucky your Doc will prescribe you a gram a week and you will feel like flipping supperman, and kickass and take names.

;)

I kid I kid... Sorta

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:22 pm

Correct me if i'm wrong here but, I think you should be more intesense, more often! I was reading in an article by someone who was interviewing Ivan Abadjiev. Ivan was mentioning a study by sweden where they found that by exercising the fast twitch muscle fibres more often, the slow ones eventually converted to fast twitch as well, but using slow type fibres, they quickly changed back.

Perhaps your just not used to the intensity because you stoped doing it as much. You said before, you weren't as tired, well I think this might be why.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:55 pm

Ruci--Do you tend to be an all-or-none kind of guy? You either go hard or go home? I'm betting that when you say "intense" it probably beats anything anyone around you does, right? And if you can't go that hard, you'd just as soon walk away. I'm guessing.

So I'm guessing that you need to learn to find a middle ground. Train intensely, but learn to modify it. Learn how much you can do each day and how many days you can go hard a week. Maybe do something like Westside that provides for different levels of intensity on different days. Stu's suggestion about 5/3/1 is good, too. Just when you get to the "as many as possible" days, don't rupture your spleen cranking out the reps.

Experiment with 4 days a week and 3 days a week and maybe even 2 days a week. When you start feeling like you're overtraining, instead of just taking time off, deload for a little while, then keep at it, but with some change--fewer lifts per training day, less frequent workouts, etc., etc.

You're pretty experienced, and pretty smart. If someone else had posted this question, I'd bet you would have some good suggestions for him. But it's a lot different for yourself. Maybe you need a training partner or a trainer to keep you on track. Dan John recently hired a trainer! How'd that be, to have him as a training client?

Anyway, just believe that you can get it right, that there is a solution. And at 27, sure you're getting older, but not all that much older (all of us in the 50+ club won't let you blame that). And it's probably not low T!

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:57 pm

And the answer to your question is "no".

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:56 pm

It sounds like you keep trying to do too much, too soon. If you do that coming off a layoff, you're going to get severe DOMS and generally to feel like crap. You'll also run a high risk of injury.

Try starting out with light weights and lower volume workouts with special attension to technique (form often suffers when you don't train regularly). It may not feel like you're doing much, but you'll probably feel it the next day. Then you can work on gradually increasing volume and intensity. Depending on how long you've been out of the game it may take several months to get back to you're all time best.

Rucifer

Post by Rucifer » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:18 pm

Thanks ya'll. Given me a lot to think about. And to answer your question doc, yes, normally I was always a go hard or go home. I think I am still gonna take a little bit more time off, and when I really do get back into the swing of things, really ease into it. Especially now that it's warming up, probably spend more time outdoors anyways before i go back at it