Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Most inconsistent lift

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Tue May 03, 2011 2:42 pm

for me its the Barbell Bench Press.

Some days, I feel like I forgot how to bench. Arms gets all in the way. I understand progression on the presses will be more erratic for a newb than the Squat or even a Row, I presume. But it's not just the stalling, it's as if, if... I feel awkward some days.
It may just be that my form needs more practice and consistancy. Although, not sure why that can't be the case for other lifts. Overhead Press is not like that, it's retty consistent, always "feels right", even when stalling for a workout.

there's a question somewhere in there.

DavidMcF
Novice
Novice

Re: Most inconsistent lift

Post by DavidMcF » Tue May 03, 2011 4:34 pm

I was gonna say my Military Press, but that's consistently not going much higher, rather than being inconsistent ;)

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Tue May 03, 2011 7:13 pm

Pressing in general gives me fits.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Wed May 04, 2011 7:42 am

deadlift for me, causes much frustration

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Wed May 04, 2011 10:46 am

Deadlift.

Some days I can get under the bar and just rip it off the floor. Other days it's an exercise in lower back misery. At the same exact weight.

Rik-Blades
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Rik-Blades » Wed May 04, 2011 3:39 pm

Maybe
Oscar_Actuary wrote:for me its the Barbell Bench Press.
Maybe it's one of those lifts that gets bombarded with lots of opinions on how you should be executing the lift?

Arms tucked v's arms flared, scaps back and down, squeeze the bar, full rom or not....leg drive!

With all that going on in the head, it's easy to forget to just press the damn weight! :grin:

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Wed May 04, 2011 4:06 pm

true
And the darn j hooks in the way without a spotter.

I am using the Power Hooks now for Dumbells, and may try loading progressive more with those and perhaps, gradually moving away from heavy BB Benching, or until I find a better way to un rack.

And, also, just sometimes, especially if I make the mistake of doing any other arm work pre benching, it fouls me up.

Tim D has the same powerline rack as me. Perhaps he'll opine?

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Wed May 04, 2011 4:51 pm

Probably Barbell Bench Presses, although really all my lifts are pretty consistant. The difference between a good workout and a lousy one might only be about 10 lbs.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Wed May 04, 2011 5:27 pm

Oscar, it may be your positioning under the J hooks. I position myself on the bench so the hooks holding bar are behind my head a bit, which will require it to be lower than when you lockout. You'll have to use triceps to raise it up a bit then position the bar to your starting position. Yes, it can be a bit of a pain, and would NOT recommend doing it without a spotter when trying a max.
Now, the other question. Seeing as triceps are a big component of benching, you don't want to tire them out first, as they won't allow a strong finish on the bench if they are. Some bodybuilders will do tri's and delts first, but that's a way of tiring everything else before trying to get at the chest. Maybe it's good for hypertrophy of the chest, but not so good for for improving your bench press.
Tim

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Wed May 04, 2011 6:01 pm

thanks Tim.
I'll play with the pos of the j-hooks and bench. I think I had the hooks to high and thus, thought I needed the bench more under them, leading to psycological if not real, fear of slamming into it. And thus not putting the weight up in a proper arc.

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu May 05, 2011 6:00 am

Easily bench press for me.

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Thu May 05, 2011 6:50 am

pdellorto wrote:Deadlift.

Some days I can get under the bar and just rip it off the floor. Other days it's an exercise in lower back misery. At the same exact weight.
Peter.

Robert also stated the deadlift, as well.

Low Back Problem

One of the biggest problems is that the lower back burns out quickly. That means more Infrequent Deadlift sessions are best.

Infrequent Deadlift sessions give your lower back time to recover.

NO Eccentric

Coupling an eccentric with a concentric (like the squat) allows you to elicit the stretch reflex. This "rubber band" action help you "sling shot" the weight up.

That not the case with the deadlift. Most of the time you begin the lift from a dead stop.

Dead Stops

Starting any movement from a dead stop "burn more gas". Your burn more gas with your car from a stopped position getting up to 60 mph than you will if your rolling along at 30 mph and accelerate to 60 mph.

Mentally

Start any movement from a dead stop sucks up mental energy.

Problems With Other Exercise Movements

The problems to other movements like Oscar's press and KPj's bench press probably have suffer from some of the same problems as the deadlift.

If you struggle with any lift from one session to the next, more than likely you are overtaining it a little. Usually backing off allows you to recover and grow stonger.

Head Problems

I understand your dilemma. I once loaded the bar to 480 for my deadlift training. I could not break the bar off the ground.

After missing it, I did some leg and psycho therapy work. I started kicking the crap out of the bar and cursing it.

The next day (not a good idea), I went back and pulled 480 for 5 reps. That tell you it was all in my head. However, most of the time it is from your lower backing being "fried" and needing rest.

Take Home Message

1) Don't Physically Overtain The Lift.

2) Don't Overtrain Your Mind. As bodybuilding ledgend Albert Beckles basically said, "Pushing yourself too much reaks you mind out."

Unfortunately, I often don't follow my own advice and then Relean it all over again...:(

Kenny Croxdale

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Thu May 05, 2011 8:23 am

Kenny Croxdale wrote:
2) Don't Overtrain Your Mind. As bodybuilding ledgend Albert Beckles basically said, "Pushing yourself too much reaks you mind out."

At times, I find myself, while trying to amp myself up for a top set or whatever, starting to hyperventilate and actually start having a panic attack.

LOL

So yeah, I agree with the whole "in your head" thing. It is as much of a battle as moving the weight...