Bench Press

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Re: Bench Press

Post by Matt Z » Thu May 19, 2011 3:20 pm

"The real question was what do I do about my arms being to short to rack and unrack the bar. The bench is a fixed height and there are only 2 rungs one for start the other I was told was to unload if you have to." - The_dog_mom

I'm having a hard time picturing that. If the bench has a lower set of hooks/uprights, you should try using them. If not, you can try sliding a bench (the kind without uprights) into a squat cage, or just use dumbbells.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu May 19, 2011 3:24 pm

One of the gyms I go to has this type of bench:
If you have short arms, there's no way to rack and unrack yourself. I agree with Matt. Put a flat bench inside a squat cage and bench there.

DavidMcF
Novice
Novice

Post by DavidMcF » Thu May 19, 2011 4:08 pm

Proper Knob wrote:
DavidMcF wrote:Is it better to bench with BB or DB?
Define 'better'. Both ways have their advantages and disadvantages.
Well I know you can lift more weight with the BB. However I always feel a harder workout when using DB. Also I would have thought that stabilisers work harder when using DB.

I'm just curious if there is a big reason to be doing BB other than just shifting more weight? I prefer BB for doing variations on bench, but for straight up chest press is DB better?

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Thu May 19, 2011 5:24 pm

It's not a big deal to ask for a lift off/spot at most gyms. You don't have to be lucky, cute or important.
What I think I am is a novelty :grin:

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Thu May 19, 2011 5:29 pm

Thank you for the pictures, they are most helpful.

They have the cage so where do I set the pins to catch the bar (I am assuming that is what the red bar is)? Do you set the other pins in the back where you can comfortably rack and unrack the bar?

I was using the barbell because I am trying to do the strong lifts program.

Thanks,

Diana

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Thu May 19, 2011 5:33 pm

Here is a picture

BTW that is not me on the bench;-)

Nevage

Post by Nevage » Thu May 19, 2011 6:20 pm

The bench in my gym has pins set too high for my arms too, I always do DB bench anyway but if I was to use a barbell then I'd always use a squat rack because you can set it perfectly. I don't use the safety bars on it, just the top pins. You'll get use to where to set it. Like I know for squats I need mine on the third hole from the top and incline bench I have it on the 10th hole down.

I think my arms are pretty short because not only do I have problems with this but also with conventional deadlifts. The change to sumo deadlifts from conventional has added 15kg to my lift in a couple of months. I wonder if you'll have the same problem.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Thu May 19, 2011 7:33 pm

"They have the cage so where do I set the pins to catch the bar (I am assuming that is what the red bar is)? - The_dog_mom

If you use the safety pins, you'll want to set them at about chest height. However, if you have a spotter you shouldn't need them.

"Do you set the other pins in the back where you can comfortably rack and unrack the bar?" - The_dog_mom

Exactly ... You set the hooks at the correct height for you.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Thu May 19, 2011 7:48 pm

PS) You shouldn't put your feet on the bench when to bench press.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Thu May 19, 2011 7:57 pm

By all means get a liftoff if you need it; it'll help you stay in the proper position to press the weight. Matt Z is right - don't worry about asking for one. Just make sure you tell them it's a handoff not "help." Some zealous spotters will pretty much do the reps for you if you let them, which isn't really helping reach your goals.

As for "who's counting," the person counting is you. You're lifting to get stronger, so I agree with jackthestrat - if you can't get 45 up for all your reps without help, it's too heavy. I understand the tendency to want to stick with the weight until you get it, but I make my clients and training buddies drop back down to a weight they can do without any assistance and then work back up.

So in short, if the problem is a lack of a handoff, get one. If even with a handoff you need help for some of your reps, I'd rather see you go down in weight. It sounds like the former - so get a handoff and crank out the reps with 45!

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Thu May 19, 2011 8:03 pm

jackthestrat wrote:If you can't lift a weight without help, you are trying to lift too much weight.
I know we've had this conversation before, and I still contend that this is totally untrue.

If someone gives you a two finger tap through a sticking point and you smoke the remainder of that rep and the next 3, it counts as a rep and you certainly can lift that heavy.

Should you be constantly be lifting in this range? Probably not, but if anyone hasn't ever been stapled by a bench press, had to drop a deadlift or dump a squat... You aren't pushing yourself hard enough. (*** THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO BARE BONE BEGINNERS***)

The-dog-mom - It is perfectly fine to get some work in with assisted reps now and again. Particularly in a situation where your getting psyched out by the weight.

I have a similar problem with over head press. I can get 225 for 3-5 reps if I get a two finger feather through my sticking point, but can't get it up without it. It's all in my head.

Strength training is not about lifting more weight (at least, it shouldn't be) - it's about getting stronger.
:scratch:

Is there a typo in here? Because this makes no sense at all.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Fri May 20, 2011 3:58 am

The_dog_mom wrote:I did try Dumbells but they feel unsteady, perhaps I should go down in weight with those.
you may be on to something here....
Matt Z wrote:If you use the safety pins, you'll want to set them at about chest height. However, if you have a spotter you shouldn't need them.
I'd never trust average joe spotters that much

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Fri May 20, 2011 4:57 am

All of this information is helpful! In the end it is up to me to take it in, evaluate and see what works. Because I was so close to dong the 5x5 with 45# I think I will stick with the weight and see how I do today. I get incredibly psyched out by the weight. I get a knot in my stomach when I look down at my paper and see how much weight I have to lift. Stopping the recording in my head is more difficult than lifting.

Yes I do count and I did not want to sound flip, I care a great deal about everything I do and sometimes that gets in the way of progress. I felt 40 was to light and if I don't go up at some point I will be stuck at 40 forever. It was the same way with the squat. I had to use 20# but eventually had to test my ability and work at squatting with a heavier weight. The you don't know until you try syndrome.

I was told about feet on the bench when I tried that at the gym. Now I use a stepper at the end of the bench for my feet.

I will see how it goes today but one thing is for sure, I absolutely love lifting and wish I would have started years ago!

Diana

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Fri May 20, 2011 6:34 am

The_dog_mom wrote:. I get a knot in my stomach when I look down at my paper and see how much weight I have to lift.
This is pretty normal actually, so don't feel ashamed or upset by it.

You are challenging yourself.

If you weren't doing that, you'd be wasting your time.

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri May 20, 2011 7:27 am

The_dog_mom wrote:.., I absolutely love lifting and wish I would have started years ago!

Diana
This seems to be a familiar theme on this site. If we only knew then what we know now.