Page 1 of 1

Shoulder Width Grip?

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:11 pm
by Matt Z
This might sound like a silly question, but exactly what is the meaning of a shoulder width grip? Is it when the the inside of your hands equal the width of your shoulders, or when the outer edge of your hands equal the width of your shoulders? Also, are we talking about the widest part of the deltoid, or the actual shoulder joint where the clavicle meets the humerous?

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:40 pm
by DubDub
It's just an approximation. You're overthinking it.

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:04 am
by TimD
Hi Matt, I agree with DubDu, I think you are over thinking this. Now, when I descibe "presses with a "clean" grip *shoulder width)", then I'm talking thisL, I clean the bar, readjust grip. . When I start the press movement, my forearms are basically vertical, my palms are facing out, and the outside knucles of my thumbsare basically brushing with the outside of my shouldesIn that position, my elbow can be anyhere from 10 to 90 degrees flared, depending on how you want your leverages.

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:18 am
by Matt Z
Perhaps your right. I guess grip is just one of those things that's more easily demonstated than explained.