Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

Danomite
Rookie
Rookie

GHR

Post by Danomite » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:40 pm

Hey guys,

I've recently had a few problems with my deadlift (I believe it's a weak lower back) and caused a slight pain, not much but enough for me to decide to take a week or two off DLing. I plan to GHR for this time, and also add in as accessory if possible. However my gym does not have any equipment for this aside from regular gymnastic mats, so I have my training partner hold my ankles and do that. I have a problem doing these as it pushes my kneecaps around and is incredibly uncomfortable, and padding the area does not seem to help. Any suggestions to doing this pain free?

Thanks

nygmen

Re: GHR

Post by nygmen » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:03 pm

Yeah, pick a different alternate lift.

There is no reason to carry on with something that is painful when you have a whole world of options at your disposal.

I will say, a real GHR set up is very humbling. Very humbling. I apparently pull with my back because I can load up the reverse hyper all day. The GHR pwns me.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:24 am

I use a rolled-up towel placed just in front of my knees, so the knee cap isn't grinding on the floor while I do it. I put a yoga mat down first, the the rolled-up towel. I use a barbell to hold my ankles. I use one of those velcro-on squat pads (one of the two legitimate uses for it, but the way, and the other is not padding the bar during squats) on the bar, and "chock" the plates on the bar with smaller plates.

But yeah, like Erick said, if you can't find a good way to do GHRs, there are other alternatives. Good mornings, for instance.

Erick, my idea of a successful rep on GHR is if I get to the floor without using my arms. I've never done that on a second rep. From then on, if it's something other than free-fall, I keep going.

Jason Nunn
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Jason Nunn » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:31 am

Jungledoc wrote: But yeah, like Erick said, if you can't find a good way to do GHRs, there are other alternatives. Good mornings, for instance.

Erick, my idea of a successful rep on GHR is if I get to the floor without using my arms. I've never done that on a second rep. From then on, if it's something other than free-fall, I keep going.
Yep. But, I've always considered Goodmornings and RDL's hip dominant exercises and GHR's knee dominant. I like suspended leg curls for knee dominant.

For me, the eccentric portion isn't too bad, it's the concentric that I struggle with. Which is weird to me because my deadlift is fast off the floor and slow to lockout. I'd think my hammies would be stronger...

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:08 am

hook your feet under the knee pad of a pull down machine

DavidMcF
Novice
Novice

Post by DavidMcF » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:47 pm

GHR turn me into a little girl :(

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:46 pm

Jason, I didn't meant to imply that I had the concentric mastered! That's the next step in the progression.

My young sometime-lifting partner refers to GHRs as "face-plants." The concentric is a knee plyo pushup.

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by KenDowns » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:09 pm

OK, dumb question. The exrx.net site shows a Glute-ham raise on a Roman chair, what range of motion are you doing just on the floor. Just flat to the floor and back up?

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:36 pm

KenDowns wrote:OK, dumb question. The exrx.net site shows a Glute-ham raise on a Roman chair, what range of motion are you doing just on the floor. Just flat to the floor and back up?
I will bend all the way over like that at times, but I tend to do it more explosive that way, and I'm not doing this to be better at football, ya know what I'm saying?

I do it to torch my glutes and hams, so I stop "flat" or a little below.

BUT, this is a new lift to me, I very well may change my set up 20 times.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:35 pm

KenDowns wrote:OK, dumb question. The exrx.net site shows a Glute-ham raise on a Roman chair, what range of motion are you doing just on the floor. Just flat to the floor and back up?
I can't find that. A link please?

I only find them illustrated on a GHR bench.

Danomite
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Danomite » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:50 pm

Thanks for the replies. I tried rolling a towel up in front of my knees and it helped enough that it isn't painful. Hopefully this will help with my DLing.

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by KenDowns » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:09 pm

Jungledoc wrote:
I can't find that. A link please?

I only find them illustrated on a GHR bench.
This is what I found, where the range of motion goes from head straight up to head straight down. I saw that apparatus referred to as a "roman chair" in Starting Strength.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Ham ... Raise.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But from your description of how you do it it sounds like you are on the floor and can go from head straight up to flat on floor.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:24 pm

Mine doesn't have the knee pads at the back end of the thigh pads. So, I have to hold myself up at the top rather than kneel on a pad like dude in the .gif

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:53 pm

He's using a dedicated GHR bench. I don't know if it is considered a type of Roman chair or not. That's why I couldn't find this--I was looking for one with a different apparatus.

jms
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jms » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:43 am

This bloke seems to get the full range of motion on the 'normal' machine without the knee pads though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne_pPfxb-_8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've been wondering about that, actually. Quite a few people (e.g. Brett Contreras) don't get to 90 degrees at the top in their videos.

No places near me have the machine either, since I am in the back of beyond. Makes me wonder if there's something particular I should look for if I ever get around to buying one... or maybe its just technique.