Bench press help

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Bench press help

Post by The_dog_mom » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:10 am

The accessory exercises seem to be doing so much for my upper body lifting and even my lower lifting. I have been using a dip assist machine (or whatever you call it) to do chin ups, dips and pull-ups. I have also added dumbbell shoulder press, step-ups and lunges. I don’t do them all every day sometimes they incorporated into my Tabatha style (do as many as I can for 20 seconds for 8 reps)

Today I did an easy row with 60# and I think I can bench 75# except for one problem....

The weight feels very light when lifting off the rack, locking out and about 2/3 of the way down. Once I get past the 2/3 I get stuck down there and can’t get the weight back up. Anyone know what the problem may be or what I can do to strengthen whatever muscle needs help? I remain tight, hold my breath and push with all my might. I am convinced I am strong enough to bench 90 or 100 except for that lower 1/3.

Christianiron.com
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Bench press help

Post by Christianiron.com » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:40 am

If you have trouble off the bottom ( what it sounds like), you might try doing pauses with light weight, or maybe static holds just off the chest. Most, including me, have just the opposite problem

jms
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jms » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:59 am

So you are having trouble with the bottom part of the movement, i.e. moving from your chest?

Here is an article by Dave Tate about that problem. Dave says that he disagrees with the common notion that it is due to a weak chest. Fair enough, he knows a lot more about it than me.

I have always had the same problem as you, and I just kept training with a weight that didn't get stuck, and I eventually managed to move up.

Plus, he mentions doing DB bench presses, which I fully endorse.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:50 pm

My thoughts.
1. Volume. Take some weight off and increase your reps for a while.
2. One-and-a-half, but with the extra half on the bottom. Lower the bar, push it half-way up, lower it again then press it all the way up. That's 1 rep.
3. Speed work
4. Pause at the bottom, like christianiron said. You'll need to use a light bar for that. Same with holds.
5. Deep pushups. Use the handles if you have them, and get down well between them. Elevate your feet if regular pushups are too easy.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:24 pm

Weak delts. Work on your military presses.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:47 pm

hoosegow wrote:Weak delts.
I was going to say that, but hoose beat me to it.

The top third of the bench is dominated by the triceps, and the botton third is dominated by the anterior deltoid. More people fail in those positions than in the middle third, which is mostly chest.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:57 pm

The Exalted Seer does not, in my humble opinion, post often enough.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:51 pm

Jungledoc wrote:The Exalted Seer does not, in my humble opinion, post often enough.

Thanks - your bribe is in the mail.

Although I haven't posted much, I've lurked on the board a lot - you and Stu (among others) have done a good job answering training questions.

Keep up the good work.

I just hope that the OP doesn't let setting training goals take all the fun out of her lifting. It is good to see a woman train who doesn't fear that serious training will turn her into the Incredible Hulk. Wonder Woman, maybe :wink:

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:14 pm

5. Deep pushups. Use the handles if you have them, and get down well between them. Elevate your feet if regular pushups are too easy.
Funny thing Doc I used to be better at pushups before I started lifting. Now I can barely get 5 I used to be able to do 3 sets of 15 and only do girl pushups on the last set.
I just hope that the OP doesn't let setting training goals take all the fun out of her lifting. It is good to see a woman train who doesn't fear that serious training will turn her into the Incredible Hulk. Wonder Woman, maybe
Na my next goal is definition. Lifting is so much fun I would never give it up!

I have been adding assisted dips, assisted pull-ups and barbell press. I will try the other suggestions. Hate Hate Hate pushups but will do them!!!!

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:10 am

It's your delts mom! Military, arnold, Bradford, seated, will all help. Pick one and work on it. Your bench will improve.