Please help guys!!!

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

scarecrow
n00b
n00b

Re: Please help guys!!!

Post by scarecrow » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:01 pm

So basically, you guys suggest that I should reduce my reps and work with heavier weights, right?? Build my strength, then think of hypertrophy?
One other thing. Can you think of any reason why I'm not able to increase the number of reps the following week with the same weight of the same exercise??
I get the rest, I get the protein. Is there some fundamental flaw??
Basically, all I try to do is get one more rep each week. But, if my body fails, there really is nothing I can do, rite??

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:03 pm

Oscar_Actuary wrote:I smell something fishy.
:twisted: , ok my bad.
scarecrow wrote:I live in South India. It's a place called Trivadrum in the state of Kerala.
you know the Shastri family ?

I notice a lot of isolation in your workout. Given your lack of prgress, Id stick to basic compounds
Hit your legs a few times a week
But lots of advice hrere, don't need more from amatuers

Dub
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Dub » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:13 pm

scarecrow wrote:So basically, you guys suggest that I should reduce my reps and work with heavier weights, right?? Build my strength, then think of hypertrophy?
Yep. Doc had a very good template also. The main point is to have few main lifts (I have 5), Work these with high intensity, and really put goals to some exercises. If time gives, you can sneak in those high rep muscle-targeting exercises also, but as assisting moves.
One other thing. Can you think of any reason why I'm not able to increase the number of reps the following week with the same weight of the same exercise??
It's really hard to tell. Usually when you stall, it's because of diet, motivation or rest. The poor programming and your body adapting to same kind of stimulus all the time could also lead to zero progress. Maybe you weren't pushing your body enough, so that there never was an anabolic state where you had peaked your previous max capacity (No supercompensation.).

I can't say for sure. Something was wrong, and now you have taken measures to fix it. Be sure to ask if you need some other information, and we would like to hear how our tips are working out for you in the future also.

Travis
Novice
Novice

Post by Travis » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:05 pm

Couple things that helped me-- and works well with Jungledoc's advise-- is to set a specific goal, something like " bench press 70kg in by the end of two months." Then working hard to hit that target.
And add some positive mental reinforcement-- remind yourself daily "you're training hard, eating right, resting well; you CAN make your goals"

scarecrow
n00b
n00b

Post by scarecrow » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:29 pm

U see, thatsa the point. I did set a goal. I wanted to squat, bench press and deadlift my body weight.
But the week, i jus cnt get out the next rep. I fail before i get there!
Thats my main problem.
Be it bench or isolatn like bicep curls.

Paperclip
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Paperclip » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:38 pm

Maybe you could test your androgen and thyroid levels? Just a suggestion.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:51 am

scarecrow wrote: 1. Leg press:
a. 60kg * 13 reps
b. 60kg * 12 reps

2. Barbell sumo squat:
a. 40kg *13 reps
If you wouldn't do the leg press before you squat you'd squat more. And 60 for 13 puts your 1RM max somewhere near 70! Change the order (or better yet, leave the leg press out altogether), and I'd bet you're almost to body weight!
scarecrow wrote: 1. Shoulder press:
a. 50 kg * 12 reps
b. 50 kg * 11 reps
50 for 12 should put your 1RM somewhere in the neighborhood of 70, so again, it's not that far to go. I don't remember if press was on your list of goals.
scarecrow wrote: 1. Bench press:
a. 60 kg * 8 reps
b. 60 kg * 6 reps
Your 1RM has to be somewhere in the mid-70. Are you sure that you aren't already to your goal here?
scarecrow wrote: 1. Deadlift:
a. 75 kg * 5 reps
Next stop twice BW!

scarecrow
n00b
n00b

Post by scarecrow » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:35 am

Despite the risk of soundin lyk a pessimistic wuss, i stil hav to say:
My stats from Jan 2011 is very much the same!
:(

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:03 am

Ok. Have it your way. It's obviously hopeless. You keep coming back to this, and personally I think it's getting old. You have said it clearly, and we understand. Saying it over and over won't help anything. Many of us have given you our thoughts. If you don't believe that there is merit in any of them, you are free to ignore them all. But don't complain to us any more if you aren't willing to at least try some of the things we've suggested.

And yes, that last post sounded very much like a pessimistic wuss. Do something about it, or let it go.

scarecrow
n00b
n00b

Post by scarecrow » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:45 am

Ok.
Thanks for ur help guys.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:14 am

Food spam.