Front Squat vs Back Squats

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

Immortal2
Novice
Novice

Front Squat vs Back Squats

Post by Immortal2 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:59 am

Title asks it all . Which of these is the better workout and the most effective when it comes to building some strength? I know I can't front squat as heavy as back so does that mean back is better or is the fact that front squatting heavy weight is so much harder make front squatting the better workout

stuward

Re: Front Squat vs Back Squats

Post by stuward » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:57 am

Immortal2 wrote:Title asks it all . Which of these is the better workout and the most effective when it comes to building some strength? I know I can't front squat as heavy as back so does that mean back is better or is the fact that front squatting heavy weight is so much harder make front squatting the better workout
Neither is better. They are different. Mark Rippetoe and Dan John have opposite opinions on the question but in all likelihood, you should include both from time to time. If you need more emphasis on the anterior chain, do front squats, more on the posterior chain, do back squats. The optimal ratio FS:BS is supposed to be about 75-85% but my memory may be off.
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD

SmokeWillow
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Front Squat vs Back Squats

Post by SmokeWillow » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:50 pm

Do either or both. I've found that they both transfer to each other.