Random crap

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:34 pm

She ate her significant other. That's what it means.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:31 am

Jungledoc wrote:KPj--Do you have access to a garage, a shed, a shop, a warehouse or any old kind of shelter from the bitter Scottish Winter winds? The time is close for you to open your own gym. At the very least, start watching for good deals on equipment, and start stocking up. Once you have a bench, a rack, a bar and some plates, maybe some bands, make the break. You still have your day job, right? Better it support you getting your own place established than just support you so you can continue to support the commercial gym. Get your sister to work the phones and front desk--maybe someday you'll even be able to pay her!

I'm thinking of moving to Scotland, just so I can train with you. :lol:
Thanks - I really appreciate the encouragement. This is deffinitly becoming my ultimate goal however, I really don't feel ready yet. There's so much I feel I need to improve on - particularly the business side of things but also the coaching side of things, too. The advantage of the commercial gym is I do sessions constantly so it's great experience. I'm always training or assessing someone. If i'm not, I just put some availability in the system and i'll get new leads. It's the gyms own leads that I want to get away from though - that's goal number one. To operate in the gym, in profit, but all leads or new clients comes from me (or existing clients), and not "given" to me from the gym. That way I can go about my business and not take anything or much to do with management. The past several months i've filled every time slot i've had available, which was killing me. My thing now is to cut this down so I get more time to actually evaluate things and get out of the rut of relying on the gym for more leads. There's loads I could and should be doing but it's just finding the time (or - being better prepared?).

In saying that, I have all my old weights. Old bench, bar, EZ bar, squat stands, 150KG-ish worth of discs, punch bag, hook and jab pads, floor to ceiling ball, DB's. The bar isn't an O-Bar, and the discs aren't for O-Bars, but they would still be usefull.

Also, one of my training partners checked the price of an industrial unit and the rent is double what I already pay the gym to work there. This is a good thing, I expected it to be more. Obviously there's other costs involved - insurance etc but I need to pay an annual fee at my gym for this, too. I doesn't seem as drastic as I initially thought.

It would be a dream come true but, I'm still "paying my dues" in the commercial gym for now :grin:

KPj

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:34 am

TimD wrote:You know, KPJ, this just shows how much too long I've been on these boards. I can remember back in 2004 or so when you first showed up, and were crying about shoulder injuries, and wanting a new program, but wouldn't get away from standard bodybuilding crap. You've come a long way. And yes to what Doc is suggesting.
Tim
Thanks Tim. I often look back to when I first started posting. I also still have my training programs from then. One of the things I always tell beginners who want to start lifting is, "i never criticise something i've not been guilty of myself" - If only they knew how much I really mean that!

KPj

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:42 am

robertscott wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:I'm thinking of moving to Scotland, just so I can train with you. :lol:
don't trust him, he makes empty promises about fixing your bench and deadlift but he's all talk, no action. To tell you the truth, I'm not convinced he even lifts weights...
Haha, i'm actually a "Step Aerobics" instructor in real life. Currently trying to get my Zumba certification.

Anyway, this has actually been on my mind. I've still not been to Greens, so i'm getting similar remarks from my Sister at the moment! The day I planned to, I had to come back home to train someone, then go back up to Glasgow. However, we had heavy snow, took me ages to get back home, and it wasn't worth it trying to get back to Glasgow. It's been up in the air since.

I will let you know when i'm going in! It'll deffinitly be a Sunday. My Saturdays are quite busy just now, but I'm still trying to keep Sundays free. The idea is supposed to be that I go train with her once every 4-6 weeks, so it should happen on a regular-ish basis.

KPj

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:59 am

KPj wrote:
robertscott wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:I'm thinking of moving to Scotland, just so I can train with you. :lol:
don't trust him, he makes empty promises about fixing your bench and deadlift but he's all talk, no action. To tell you the truth, I'm not convinced he even lifts weights...
Haha, i'm actually a "Step Aerobics" instructor in real life. Currently trying to get my Zumba certification.

Anyway, this has actually been on my mind. I've still not been to Greens, so i'm getting similar remarks from my Sister at the moment! The day I planned to, I had to come back home to train someone, then go back up to Glasgow. However, we had heavy snow, took me ages to get back home, and it wasn't worth it trying to get back to Glasgow. It's been up in the air since.

I will let you know when i'm going in! It'll deffinitly be a Sunday. My Saturdays are quite busy just now, but I'm still trying to keep Sundays free. The idea is supposed to be that I go train with her once every 4-6 weeks, so it should happen on a regular-ish basis.

KPj
A Zumba-ite! I knew it!

It's cool man, at the moment you've got a hip injury and I've got tennis elbow, all we'd be able to do is face pulls and I'm pretty sure my form on those is ok!

wilburburns

Post by wilburburns » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:26 am

P90X is Dangerous....

While doing P90X, I had a friend of mine doing some type of curl with a resistance Band being held under his foot.

The Band slipped out from under his foot and hit him squarely in the eye. This severely bruised his eye and even caused some blindness for several hours.

:cyclopsani:

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:06 am

robertscott wrote: A Zumba-ite! I knew it!

It's cool man, at the moment you've got a hip injury and I've got tennis elbow, all we'd be able to do is face pulls and I'm pretty sure my form on those is ok!
lol, god bless face pulls!

The hip injury is quite stubborn. Slowly but surely getting better but now just leaves me with dull aches which is worrying. Think i'll need to go get lectured from my physio.

Making progress tho - I can squat pain free, but only up to about 70KG so far - this is a big improvement from not being able to BW squat.. I can RDL down to just above the knees - been a good chance to work on hang clean technique!! I can get down to the bar to demonstrate DL's, which is handy!

Will deffinitly be squatting before i'm deadlifting. Leg drive on the bench is still painfull.

However i'll tell you when i'm going in - it won't be in the next 2 weeks anyway, so that's atleast a little more time!

KPj

Helena115
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Helena115 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:20 am

This might be an outrageously stupid question - but how are people building their websites nowadays? Is HTML out? What's in? I'm still using HTML, since 2003-whatever, but somehow I feel there should be an easier way. And no, my host does NOT offer an even remotely satisfactory editor...

wilburburns

Post by wilburburns » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:25 am

Helena115 wrote:This might be an outrageously stupid question - but how are people building their websites nowadays? Is HTML out? What's in? I'm still using HTML, since 2003-whatever, but somehow I feel there should be an easier way. And no, my host does NOT offer an even remotely satisfactory editor...
As a Web Host and Designer, I am a big fan of Content Management systems. Without giving a Sales pitch, there are several options regarding CMS Systems and I'd love to discuss your needs if you're interested.

I have found Joomla very easy to learn by many of my clients.

Edited to add the following about Content Management Systems...
Simply put, these separate the site Design from the actual content of the site. A Template is used to Design the look and feel of the site, and an Online WYSIWYG Editor is used to place the content on the Page.

Cliff Planck

Helena115
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Helena115 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:42 am

wilburburns wrote:
As a Web Host and Designer, I am a big fan of Content Management systems. Without giving a Sales pitch, there are several options regarding CMS Systems and I'd love to discuss your needs if you're interested.

Simply put, these separate the site Design from the actual content of the site. A Template is used to Design the look and feel of the site, and an Online WYSIWYG Editor is used to place the content on the Page.

Cliff Planck
I have heard of Joomla before... a quick look at download.com shows very different reviews though. Is it comparable to SiteVision, Plone, Websy or WebsiteBaker? I've used all of those, but not so much for building as for adding content.

wilburburns

Post by wilburburns » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:31 pm

Helena115 wrote:
wilburburns wrote:

Cliff Planck
I have heard of Joomla before... a quick look at download.com shows very different reviews though. Is it comparable to SiteVision, Plone, Websy or WebsiteBaker? I've used all of those, but not so much for building as for adding content.
I did just look at the reviews at download.com and some are quite interesting. It appears as though most of the problems were related to getting started and actually installing the software.

This is where a good Designer/Developer/or Web Host really makes a difference. Installation can be as easy as a couple of clicks which includes installing sample content that you can modify and be going in a few minutes, or the site could be completely setup for you and all you would have to do is add the content into pre-defined categories.

Again, I don't want to give a sales pitch here, so I won't respond publically about this again. If I can be of any assistance, PM or E-mail me and I will gladly discuss ideas with you.

Cliff

frigginwizard

Post by frigginwizard » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:18 pm

This is really a question of where you are coming from. If you are looking to get a web page built by someone else, that you can easily update, than you are going to end up with some type of CMS.

If you are considering building yourself a website, you are going to need basic knowledge of html, css, and some type of graphics editor. To add your own CMS to this you are going to need a basic knowledge of php, and a good amount of time to dedicate to learning how to code your design into the CMS of your choice.

Personally, I prefer wordpress, but I think that has more to do with my familiarity with the system than its pros/cons vs other systems.

Helena115
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Helena115 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:34 pm

Well I already have a website, but everytime I update it I always feel like there should be an easier way to do that... for instance, if I have a number of pages that look the same except for the picture shown and the text next to it, and I want to change something in the template, I have to go to each page and change it in the code. There is probably some easy way to set this up but I don't know it :roll:

For example: today I decided I wanted to add a currency converter link to all the pages, and instead of just changing the template I have to add the link on every page.

frigginwizard

Post by frigginwizard » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:40 pm

/cut
jesusthisforumhasalongtimebetweenposts
Last edited by frigginwizard on Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wilburburns

Post by wilburburns » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:55 pm

frigginwizard wrote:did you not use style sheets?
If it's Static HTML pages, even a stylesheet (css) wouldn't help.

To do what Helena is asking, she needs some type of Dynamically created page, or something created in pieces and then put together in the final page rendering (Requires knowing php, asp, or other scripting language).

Cliff