Cramp, especially in the calves!

Discussion of peer refereed articles and clinical applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

webbash
former lurker

Cramp, especially in the calves!

Post by webbash » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:48 pm

Hello,

I play football 3 times a week, and i would say im relatively fit, at about 70% fitness at the moment. However, over the past couple of months ive started to get cramp in my calves really bad. It hasn't been through injury or anything and ive never suffered from it before. Tend to only last an hour before cramp starts to set in.

I stretch thoroughly....

I hydrate thoroughly....

Ive heard a few theories about the amount of salt you intake can affect this but im not too sure...

Does anyone know how i can stop this cramp, or at least get some kind of way to control over it?

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:09 pm

You may think you are hydrating enough but you might not be. Sodium and pottasium levels can cause it but hydration is the main thing. You don't need Gatorade, but drinking water often during the game should make a difference.

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:55 pm

I used to get these in basic training at night. Sucked as I felt sleep deprived anyhow...but then mind would race. And then when I did get to sleep, the damn things would cramp and wake me up. Never really did figure out if it was water or growth/usage or salt or potassium or what.

I would try some different things. To include trying a little extra table salt.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:18 pm

Anectdotally, in response to calf cramps several times during training, I bought "Liquimins" a year or two ago - haven't had an issue since. ~10 drops in a liter of water...

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:39 am

You could also possibly try taurine. Unlikely unless you are taking asthma medication, but you never know. I would go with potassium though. Problem the highest level of potassium can be found in Atkins shakes.

I actually require a little extra potassium for my leg cramp. When was a kid is was the hamstrings, but in my teens, it changed to the calves. I hardly ever get them if I keep the potassium up.