Fitness Routine Feedback

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

biff
former lurker

Fitness Routine Feedback

Post by biff » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:55 am

I have a goal of becoming "fit" and maintaining this status. I am an adult with a full time job and a family, but I have converted my garage into my own personal gym (full disclosure the wife works out with me most days). I enjoy exercising, but I can't have it consuming all of my free time. I have no illusions of looking like the next cover model, but I would like to be able to ease through PT tests in the military, but not limit training to push ups, sit ups, and running. I have read so much literature on exercising that I think I think I have come full circle in that what once was good, was later bad, then good again. Basically, I can't believe half of what I read and have just been doing a trial by error. Below is a workout regiment that I did for several months that seemed to work well until an injury occurred (not related to exercise, but impacted it drastically). I am not getting back into the groove again and was looking for feedback on my exercise plan. Sorry for the long intro.

Monday: 5x8 (5 sets of 8 reps - decreasing weight as necessary to barely achieve rep 8)
Exercises: Squat, Dead-lift, Calf raises, 4 minutes of straight ab/core work (crunches, twists, leg raises, flutter kicks etc.)

Tuesday: Tabata (20sec on 10 sec rest for 4 minutes) 8 total bouts with 3 min break at midway point.
Exercises: Mix of body weight and lighter weights --Mountain climbers, jump rope, sprints (running), ab work, push-ups (vary each ON period), bent over rows, etc. (exercise suggestions welcome)

Wednesday: Light/easy 3 mile run Pace is relaxed where a conversation is possible, but somewhat labored.

Thursday: 5x8 (5 sets of 8 reps - Same as Monday)
Exercises: Bench Press, Pull-Up (assisted as needed with bands), Military Press, tricep extension (skull crushers), Curls

Friday: Forced Recovery (2 min work, 1 min of light cardio (jump rope/jog etc.) - repeat for 15 bouts with 3 min rest at halfway point
Exercises: Generally this is body-weight and lower impact exercises or muscles not already hit - leg lifts, hip abductors, rear delts, supraspinatus, box step-ups, should gators, overhead arm claps...you get the idea. (Again exercise suggestions welcome)

Thank you in advance for feedback.

biff
former lurker

Re: Fitness Routine Feedback

Post by biff » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:08 pm

Forgot the weekend.

Saturday - Rest Day (likely yardwork/chores)
Sunday - Yin Yoga

essentialproducts
former lurker

Re: Fitness Routine Feedback

Post by essentialproducts » Sat May 12, 2018 6:04 am

As you can imagine, there's no simple formula that's right for everyone. (Come on, you didn't really think it'd be that easy, did you?) If you're looking to amp up your fitness level, your magic number of days depends on how active you already are. For example, you'll probably see results from one day a week if you don't already work out at all, he says. But if you're used to multiple workout days a week, one day probably won't challenge your body enough to stay at peak form or make progress.