Funkadelic GNC isolate

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

Onlyethic
Apprentice
Apprentice

Funkadelic GNC isolate

Post by Onlyethic » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:21 am

I got some GNC Whey isolate a few weeks ago. I opened it and it had some funky smell and, I discovered, a funky taste. I've tasted crappy-tasting whey by the gross ton, but this is different. It's almost like bad breath -- the best word I can use to describe it is gnarly.

There's also a whitish milky looking film floating on the top after I mix with water.

Anyone have anything like this before? Any ideas -- is this just a crappy product or did something go wrong?

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:47 pm

If it's that bad, can you bring it back and say "this stuff really sucks, I'd like a refund or an exchange"?

Onlyethic
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Onlyethic » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:57 am

Would love to -- but bought it in Atlanta and I live really far from Atlanta.

So, I'm trying to figure out if it's still active -- i.e. the protein still is protein and hasn't degraded into something useless that I'm literally choking down for no reason.

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:45 am

Whey powder is a milk product and does contain some fat. It can go rancid over time but I would think that it would be rare due to the miniscule amount of fat. However if the taste is off, I wouldn't eat it. Maybe Ironmaiden will join in. I'm sure GNC has a complaint phone# or web page. They may be able to rectify the problem without you having to drive to Atlanta.

try this: http://www.gnc.com/helpdesk/index.jsp?d ... ay=contact

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:29 pm

I've had all of the GNC whey powders, and none were like that. The cheaper ones do taste slightly worse though.

Onlyethic
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Onlyethic » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:32 am

Yeah, it's strange, especially because it's the Mega Isolate -- extremely little fat, and very low lactose.

I called the Atlanta store. Guy was not helpful, a little dismissive even. Maybe I'll call customer service, see what they say.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:21 pm

The reason I looked for an alternative to GNC was because I wanted to return something one time cause I bought the wrong flavor and they said no. I found the Vitamin Shoppe near by and probably spent $1200 there last year. Customer service pays.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:20 am

Onlyethic wrote:Would love to -- but bought it in Atlanta and I live really far from Atlanta.

So, I'm trying to figure out if it's still active -- i.e. the protein still is protein and hasn't degraded into something useless that I'm literally choking down for no reason.
You can return at any store, you will get more money back if you have a receipt, and it is a gnc brand right?
Onlyethic wrote:Yeah, it's strange, especially because it's the Mega Isolate -- extremely little fat, and very low lactose.

I called the Atlanta store. Guy was not helpful, a little dismissive even. Maybe I'll call customer service, see what they say.
Mega Isolate isn't produced anymore... That crap must old stock. Check to see if it's still any good.

Onlyethic
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Onlyethic » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:53 am

Hey Ironmaiden,

I live abroad...so no going to GNC with or without receipt.

What do you mean check on it? Call GNC? When did the Mega Isolate get discontinued?

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:51 am

Onlyethic wrote:Hey Ironmaiden,

I live abroad...so no going to GNC with or without receipt.

What do you mean check on it? Call GNC? When did the Mega Isolate get discontinued?
Exp date, I'm not sure on thie but it might have been discontinued back in 06. I'll check in my comp when I get to work today.

Onlyethic
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Onlyethic » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:36 am

the date on the label says 09/09. clearly plenty of time. i guess what concerns me is the white, milky swirl that floats on top (in addition to very bad taste). think this might indicate something, aside from paranoia?

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:54 am

Onlyethic wrote:the date on the label says 09/09. clearly plenty of time. i guess what concerns me is the white, milky swirl that floats on top (in addition to very bad taste). think this might indicate something, aside from paranoia?
If returning the product and getting a refund is out of the question, you should take the loss and throw it away. A bad odor suggests putrification of the protein - is the spent money worth being a guinea pig using a potentially spoiled product?

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:45 pm

I would suggest you try to return it. You might not be able to if you don't have receipt since it is discontinued and they may think you are full of it. If you do have the ability and don't have recipt they will probably do an exchange and your return on that item won't be high either.